Big Games in Memphis - Week 6

kwc

Man how time flies when you are having fun! We are having fun aren't we? Well, I guess I've been keeping the selections plenteous and it has resulted in different people leading the pack from time to time. The week before last I went 17-0 in my selections. This past week wasn't so good for me. Actually ... two people did well and one of them pulled ahead of everybody else, and that woulf be olddevil. He's now the man to catch. 

I've selected 25 games this week and quite a few are some doozies. We will see how the rest of the pack does in regards to catching Mr. olddevil ... :twisted:  bwa ha ha ha ha haaaaaa!

With no further delay I present to you:

BGIM: Week 6 Games

Friday, September 23

1.      Collierville at Arlington

2.      White Station at Bartlett

3.      Germantown at Cordova

4.      Houston at Whitehaven

5.      FACS at Bolton

6.      Central at Holly Springs

7.      Kirby at Millington

8.      Overton vs MAHS at Halle

9.      Ridgeway at MUS

10.  Kingsbury vs Middle College at Melrose

11.  Craigmont at Hardin Co

12.  St. Benedict at Raleigh Egypt

13.  Hamilton at Memphis Nighthawks

14.  Fayette Ware at Byhalia

15.  Lausanne at Covington

16.  Douglass vs Mitchell at Fairgrounds

17.  Manassas vs North Panola at Crump

18.  Fairley at Southside (Gadsden, AL)

19.  Gibson Co at Oakhaven

20.  Northpoint Christian at Amory, MS

21.  Magnolia Heights at Harding Academy

22.  USJ at ECS

23.  Tipton Rosemark at Middleton

24.  Fayette Academy at Marshall Academy

Saturday, September 24

25.  Melrose vs East at Fairgrounds (1 pm)

1. Arlington

2. White Station

3. Cordova

4. Whitehaven

5. FACS

6. Memphis Central

7. Kirby

8. MAHS

9. MUS

10. Middle College

11. Hardin County

12. Raleigh Egypt

13. Hamilton

14. Fayette Ware

15. Lausanne

16. Mitchell

17. North Panola

18. Southside Gadsen,AL

19. Gibson County

20. Amory, MS

21. Harding Academy

22. USJ

23. Tipton Rosemark

24. Marshall Academy

25. East

1. Arlington 2. White station. 3 Córdova 4 whitehaven 5 facs 6 central 7 Kirby 8 Overton 9 ridgeway I guess 10 middle college 11 Hardin co 12 Raleigh Egypt I will go to this game for a half . 13 not doing 14. Byhalia 15 Lausanne 16 Mitchell 17 north panola 18 fairley 19 Gibson co 20 armory ms 21 . Harding academy 22 USj hope I'm

Wrong 23. Tipton rosemark 24 fayette academy 25 . east . What is everyone twitter name on here ? Myne is JSTURDIVANT1985. Kwc - appreciate all u do for us man!

Why is everyone picking MUS over Ridgeway? Is there someone out for Ridgeway or something?

MUS has played a more competitive schedule and thus should be better prepared.  They are playing at home.  THey have payback in mind after stinking up the field last year losing by 7. But the main reason is because olddevil is picking MUS.  Besides, historically it is rarely a good idea betting against MUS at home, except when they play South Panola or Ensworth.  

1. Arlington 2. White station. 3 Córdova 4 whitehaven 5 facs 6 central 7 Kirby 8 Overton 9 ridgeway I guess 10 middle college 11 Hardin co 12 Raleigh Egypt I will go to this game for a half . 13 not doing 14. Byhalia 15 Lausanne 16 Mitchell 17 north panola 18 fairley 19 Gibson co 20 armory ms 21 . Harding academy 22 USj hope I'm

Wrong 23. Tipton rosemark 24 fayette academy 25 . east . What is everyone twitter name on here ? Myne is JSTURDIVANT1985. Kwc - appreciate all u do for us man!

@38116Senator

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

No problem kwc . I use to do the Shelby metro show with mark last year , I miss doing it this season but understand why we aren't doing it this year . St. George's added Hamilton a few weeks before the season . 'I don't like unapproved website anymore to be honest not reliable for rosters and etc !

That show was one of my favorite stations to tune in to after the games. I liked listening to the different area coaches talk about their teams. I wish you guys were still on the air. Any chance of it coming back next season?

MUS has played a more competitive schedule and thus should be better prepared.  They are playing at home.  THey have payback in mind after stinking up the field last year losing by 7. But the main reason is because olddevil is picking MUS.  Besides, historically it is rarely a good idea betting against MUS at home, except when they play South Panola or Ensworth.  

According to CoachT, Ridgeway won that game by a 14 point margin of victory. But hey, that was last year.

John Varlas’ Week 6 prep football preview

September 22, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

preps-generic.jpg

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

The race is still on to see who will win the Tennessee Titans kicker of the year award, although Trey Thomas of MUS has put himself squarely in contention.

But if they were handing out awards for hard-nosed kickers, the sophomore would be a lock.

Thomas set school and Shelby County records in last week's 29-0 victory over South Panola with five field goals to take his season total to 13 (on 16 attempts). He's well on pace to break the full-season (including playoffs) mark of 17 set by Ridgeway's Josh Jasper in 2005 and has a legit shot at the state record of 21 set by Hendersonville's James Wilhoit in 2001.

But did either Jasper or Wilhoit ever have three tackles while forcing a fumble on kick-coverage like Thomas did against the Tigers? That's just not in the job description.

"At MUS, it's kind of a big deal if a kicker makes a tackle," he said. "The coaches are like 'how can you let him get down there before you?' I'm not a big guy (6-1, 180) but I don't consider myself skinny either.

"We're more like a family this year — probably more so than ever — and I just don't want to do anything to let my teammates down."

GAME OF THE WEEK

(5) Ridgeway (4-1) at (T3) MUS (5-0)

Time: 7 p.m. Storylines: The Owls, led by defensive back Maurice Hampton Jr. and sophomore linebackers Dorian Hopkins and Matthew Rhodes, shut out South Panola for the first time in 14 years last week. Ridgeway, coming off a 60-6 victory over Millington, will be a much tougher task; the Roadrunners are second in Shelby County in total offense at 403.6 yards per game.

DANDY DOZEN GAMES

Houston (2-2, 2-0 Region 4-6A) at (1) Whitehaven (5-0, 2-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: If Houston thought it could sneak into Whitehaven under the radar and pull a surprise, Germantown ruined it. The Red Devils took Whitehaven down to the wire last week before the Tigers escaped, and their focus is bound to be laser-sharp.

Germantown (1-4, 0-2 Region 4-6A) at (2) Cordova (5-0, 2-0), 7 p.m.Storylines: The Wolves posted a very impressive 41-14 victory over Collierville last week and are playing solidly on both sides of the ball. Germantown is getting better, but it will take something special to get its first region victory.

Sheffield (0-4) at (T3) CBHS (4-1), 7 p.m. Storylines: After a program-defining 31-18 victory over Ohio power Cincinnati LaSalle on Saturday, the Brothers welcome a team that has lost 18 in a row, including 65-20 to Bolivar Central last week.

(6) Lausanne (4-0) at Covington (2-3), 7:30 p.m. Storylines: The Chargers were ranked in the preseason Dandy Dozen but have tailed off, losing three straight while scoring just 26 points. It could be another big night for lineman Mekhi Prince and the Lynx D.

Magnolia Heights (2-3) at (8) Harding (3-1), 7 p.m. Storylines: The visitors have lost three in a row and now face an angry group of Lions looking to get back on track after losing to Lausanne. Expect a big game from Harding running back Marquavious Moore.

Melrose (0-5) vs. (9) East (3-1) at Crump, 1 p.m. Saturday. Storylines: The Golden Wildcats are probably the best 0-5 team in the state, with some talented skill players led by Kendric Jones and DeQuan Dallas. East has been very steady and will be in for a battle if it takes Melrose lightly.

(10) Horn Lake (5-0) at South Panola (1-4), 7 p.m. Storylines: After last week's victory over Lake Cormorant in the Lake Bowl, Brad Boyette's Eagles face a team that struggled mightily against MUS last week. It's the MHSAA Region 1-6A opener for both.

(11) Hernando (4-0) at Tupelo (4-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: Tigers quarterback Robert Wilcke has been outstanding, completing almost 70 percent of his passes while averaging almost 10 yards per carry. The Golden Wave have been led by two impressive sophomores, running back Jaquerrious Williams and safety Tavario Standifer.

St. Benedict (2-2) at (12) Raleigh-Egypt (5-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: The Pharaohs make their Dandy Dozen debut and will be favored to stay in at least one more week. St. Benedict has struggled to score and faces a very good defense led by junior linebacker Larry Turner and junior lineman Cedric Henderson.

TODAY'S OTHER GAMES

7 p.m. — Northpoint at Amory (Miss.), Collierville at Arlington, White Station at Bartlett, First Assembly at Bolton, Washington at Briarcrest, Fayette-Ware at Byhalia (Miss.), Columbus (Miss.) at DeSoto Central, Mitchell vs. Douglass at Fairgrounds, USJ at ECS, Fairley at Gadsden Southside (Ala.), Craigmont at Hardin Co., Central at Holly Springs (Miss.), Middle College vs. Kingsbury at Melrose, West Memphis Christian at Lee Aca., Center Hill at Lewisburg, North Panola vs. Manassas at Crump, West Memphis at Marion, Fayette Aca. at Marshall Aca., Tipton-Rosemark Aca. at Middleton, Kirby at Millington, MLK Prep at Munford, Gibson Co. at Oakhaven, MAHS vs. Overton at Halle, Lake Cormorant at Saltillo (Miss.), Olive Branch at Southaven, Hamilton at St. George's, Macon Road at Tupelo Christian Prep, Hernando at Tupelo (Miss.)

Edited by kwc

RADIO

Football: Preps, Ridgeway at MUS, WMC-AM 790, 6:45 p.m. 

Football: Preps, Lausanne at Covington, WKBQ-FM 93.5, 6:45 p.m. 

Football: Preps, Magnolia Heights at Harding, WHBQ-AM 560,

6:50 p.m.

Football: Preps, Sheffield at CBHS, WPGF-FM 87.7, 6:50 p.m. 

Football: Preps, Germantown at Cordova, WQOX-FM 88.5, 7 p.m. 

This listing is compiled using information supplied by stations and networks, and is subject to late changes without notice. (The Commercial Appeal)

Edited by kwc

1. Arlington

2. White Station

3. Cordova

4. Whitehaven

5. Bolton

6. Central

7. Kirby

8. Overton

9. MUS

10. Kingsbury

11. Hardin Co