Big Games in Memphis - Week 7

kwc

Exception to the rules: White station no field, East no field. both at one time were mostly white. I think it has more to do with schools that were county schools at one time and were built with a field. Except Collierville whose field is at an elementary school.

Like I said ... it's been like this for as long as I can remember. The list goes on and on. There were some schools that had stadiums/bleachers that don't have them now. Some schools never had stadiums. There sre schools that are no longer in existence, like the South Side Scrappers. I don't remember if they had a field/bleachers/stadium, or not. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy seeing how white folks want to call out the few exceptions regarding certain schools not having fields that were traditionally white. The problem with what yall are saying is that it has nothing to do with my factual point. The city of Memphis is majority US however the schools that served us, with exception of 2 schools never had an on campus field. The schools that are within the city that currently have on campus fields were at one point or another All White. My point wasn't that every white school in Memphis had a field. My point was that the black people, besides two programs never have been represented properly or proportionally. To owlbooster, we aren't the same, my opinion is ALWAYS going to be different from yours, now if you wish to keep coming for me I will ALWAYS Come for you. You need to let me be brother unless you want to continue these petty squabbles on The T... as you can tell, I'm with it.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Memphis of you to claim that RACISM is behind the location of prep football stadiums.  And not unexpected coming from you.  You have presumed that racism is the reason beforehand then sought stats to support your assumption, and the only one you can find is "predominantly white school" either now or before.  That line falls apart when you consider that many if not most of the historically black high schools no longer exist and some of them as I recall did not have football teams.   It appears to me that the SIZE of the school was a large factor but also proximity to existing stadiums.  The biggest reason would be COSTS - both construction, maintenance and utilities.  The schools do NOT have unlimited funds.  The facilities at the Fairgrounds, Halle and Crump/Central (et al on site) were meant to serve more than one school. for economic reasons.   Concerning Whitehaven, ALL of the former Shelby County League schools had stadiums and ALL were predominantly (exclusively before integration) white.  Germantown and Bartlett were fairly close to Collierville and Bolton respectively and had bigger stadiums because they were bigger schools.  I recommend you contact some knowledgeable official within the school system to discuss the whys and wherefores of stadium location and not be so eager to play the "race card"

BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't recall Westwood ever having an on campus stadium, but logically they should have had one, as it predated Freeman.  Nonetheless, this school was built in the mid-60s and like most of the new schools built after integration (e.g. Hillcrest) was originally predominantly white.  The movement of urban blacks over the last 50 years has predominantly been southward, which is why Whitehaven, Westwood and Hillcrest are now predominantly black.  To imply that Whitehaven has its own stadium only because it was once a predominantly white school is in itself a racist statement.

I will go from the bottom up responding to your rhetoric as I can see you feel attacked whenever I mention race... I know why you do, but it's cool, I see you..

The FACT that I went to Whitehaven and have seen All of the senior head pictures from the 30s until now seeing how they were lily white up until the 70s and started turning into what Da Haven is today in the mid 80s I am an expert in knowing that the only reason Whitehaven has an on campus stadium is because it was once lily white thus my charge of Racism is on point. That's not the race card, that's fact jack.

I find it funny that you can look at the Suburban schools and privates like yourself, CBHS, heck even Bishop Byrnes having their own fields since forever probably but Hamilton, Northside, Trezevant, etc not having their own fields ever as just a school size thing. Mayne, Hamilton used to be the big black school on Elvis Presley. There is a baseball field behind their school that I practiced pee wee football on. It had lights and small baseball bleachers but it wasn't Hamilton's home field ,ever... why? I charge racism. And I'm probably right.

It is utterly ridiculous that money always seems to run out when it comes to our kids. Money is not an issue in the suburbs or the private schools but when it comes to public facilities and public works for US it's not financially feasible for the is that and the third. Nah, bruh, that is racism 101. Red lining, block busting, gerrymandering are all things done supposedly because it's what's best for the whole but what's best for the so-called whole always seems to not benefit US in this city. No sir, I'll call it how I see it. Not to mention I gave a way to make the grounds keeping and such not be a money thing. Get students in a vocational program to learn the science of landscaping. Hire or contract a teacher / lawn care service to teach the kids how to do the job. Only pay them during the summer when out of school. Let them earn credit while in school. The lights and bleachers can be gifted if that's an issue. Some philanthropist out here would give that money. Stop with your rhetoric that's anti-me sir. I know what the issues are from my side and I'll speak on them from my perspective and you do the same.

To wrap it up,

RESPECT DA HAVEN

It's probably best that every team doesn't have their own field and they're having to play games on Thursdays and Saturdays as well as Friday's because the Midsouth Officials Assoication is struggling to find enough officials to cover all the games each Friday night. They really need some young men that love football to join them or theyll be in trouble in a few more years.

Edited by TENNFOOTBALL88

RADIO

Preps, St. Benedict at MUS, WMC-AM 790, 6:45 p.m. 

Preps, Overton at Brighton, WKBQ-FM 93.5, 6:45 p.m. 

Preps, Westwood at Harding, WHBQ-AM 560, 6:50 p.m. 

Preps, CBHS at Briarcrest, WPGF-FM 87.7, 6:50 p.m. 

Preps, Whitehaven vs. White Station, WQOX-FM 88.57 p.m.

Surging Spartans ready for No. 1 Tigers

White Station offense faces area’s top ‘D’

By John Varlas

john.varlas@commercialappeal.com 901-529-2350

When he was a freshman three years ago, Trevor Forbes was on the sidelines handing out water bottles as his White Station teammates took on Whitehaven.

Tonight, Forbes hopes to play a starring role in one of the area’s best rivalry games.

Undefeated Whitehaven, ranked first in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen, visits the Fairgrounds Friday to take on a surging Spartans teamthat has won four straight after losing to CBHS and DeSoto Central to start the season.

It’s shaping up to be the toughest test of the season for Whitehaven’s excellent defense; after a slow start in the post-Dillon Mitchell era the Spartans have scored 136 points in their last three games, including 55 against Bartlett last week. Forbes did his part in that one, scoring on runs of 50 and 47 yards.

Forbes said having quarterback John Lyons back to something approaching full health has been crucial; the Army commitment struggled with ankle issues over the first three games.

“John can throw it but he’s most effective with the read option,†said Forbes. “It was hard to watch him struggle against CBHS, especially on that big stage.

“We have a stable of stud running backs and since we’ve gone to a runfirst (in a Week 3 win over Collierville) we’ve just been rolling. Everything is really clicking.â€

(1) WHITEHAVEN (6-0, 3-0 REGION 4-6A) VS. (12) WHITE STATION(4-2, 3-0) AT THE FAIRGROUNDS

Time: 7 p.m. Storylines: The Tigers’ defense has given up only 62 points all year while the surging Spartans put up 55 against Bartlett last week. Look for Whitehaven to try and eat up as much clock as possible behind Kylan Watkins (124.1 yards per game, 13 touchdowns) and the rest of the running game. 

Arlington (4-2, 1-2 Region 4-6A) at (2) Cordova (6-0, 3-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: Tigers quarterback Tate Kolwyck (214 yards per game, 15 touchdowns) will offer a stiff challenge to the Wolves’ fine defense, which leads the area by allowing just 115.8 yards per game. 

(T3) CBHS (5-1) at Briarcrest (5-1), 7 p.m. Storylines: The D2-AA West Region opener for both should be a good one. Saints quarterback Jackson Walker leads Shelby County with 223.1 yards per game and 16 touchdowns. The Brothers will counter with Keegan Voss, Dominick

Garrett and a ground game that ranks fourth at (258.8 yards per game). 

St. Benedict (2-4) at (T3) MUS (6-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: The Owls will honor their past by dedicating a statue of legendary coach Jake Rudolph during pre-game festivities. And afterwards, the Owls’ second-ranked defense (144 yards per game) should insure the alumni have a happy Homecoming. 

Northpoint (2-3, 0-2 Division 2-A West) at (5) Lausanne (5-0, 1-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: The Trojans need a victory to bolster their playoff hopes but it will be hard to come by against Eric Gray (10.1 yards per carry, 14 touchdowns) and the explosive Lynx, who scored 63 against Covington last week.

(7) Ridgeway (4-2) at West Monroe-La. (2-1-1), 7 p.m. Storylines: After being held in check for much of last week’s game at MUS, the Roadrunners looks to get back on trackwith a visit to one of Louisiana’s traditional powers. The Rebels’ standouts are 6-1, 250pound defensive lineman Dennis Collins (committed to TCU) and Tennessee commit Trey Coleman, a 5-11, 203-pound athlete. 

Westwood (3-2) at (8) Harding (4-1),

7 p.m. Storylines: The visitors have some playmakers, most notably quarterback Mercedes Byrd and receiver Kelton Neyland , and if they can make plays it could get interesting. 

(10) Raleigh-Egypt (6-0, 3-0 Region 8-3A) at Bolivar Central (6-0, 3-0), 7 p.m. Storylines: The Pharaohs hit the road for the biggest game in school history and— more importantly — a chance to take a fi rm hold of the region title race. Defensive ends Cedric Henderson (two sacks, three fumble recoveries, one touchdown) and Nate Thomas were terrific last week.

TODAY’S OTHER GAMES

7 p.m. — Munford at Bolton, Overton at Brighton, Kirby vs. Central at Crump, Hamilton at Fayette-Ware, ECS at First Assembly, Bartlett at Germantown, Collierville at Houston, Millington vs. Kingsbury at Melrose, Middleton vs. KIPP at Kirby, Lewisburg at Lake Cormorant, Middle College at McNairy Central, Douglass vs. MLK Prep at Raleigh-Egypt, Hillcrest at Oakhaven, Macon Road at Rossville Christian, Melrose vs. Sheffield at Halle, Wooddale at Southwind, Fayette Aca. at St. George’s, 

Edited by kwc

I will go from the bottom up responding to your rhetoric as I can see you feel attacked whenever I mention race... I know why you do, but it's cool, I see you..

The FACT that I went to Whitehaven and have seen All of the senior head pictures from the 30s until now seeing how they were lily white up until the 70s and started turning into what Da Haven is today in the mid 80s I am an expert in knowing that the only reason Whitehaven has an on campus stadium is because it was once lily white thus my charge of Racism is on point. That's not the race card, that's fact jack.

I find it funny that you can look at the Suburban schools and privates like yourself, CBHS, heck even Bishop Byrnes having their own fields since forever probably but Hamilton, Northside, Trezevant, etc not having their own fields ever as just a school size thing. Mayne, Hamilton used to be the big black school on Elvis Presley. There is a baseball field behind their school that I practiced pee wee football on. It had lights and small baseball bleachers but it wasn't Hamilton's home field ,ever... why? I charge racism. And I'm probably right.

It is utterly ridiculous that money always seems to run out when it comes to our kids. Money is not an issue in the suburbs or the private schools but when it comes to public facilities and public works for US it's not financially feasible for the is that and the third. Nah, bruh, that is racism 101. Red lining, block busting, gerrymandering are all things done supposedly because it's what's best for the whole but what's best for the so-called whole always seems to not benefit US in this city. No sir, I'll call it how I see it. Not to mention I gave a way to make the grounds keeping and such not be a money thing. Get students in a vocational program to learn the science of landscaping. Hire or contract a teacher / lawn care service to teach the kids how to do the job. Only pay them during the summer when out of school. Let them earn credit while in school. The lights and bleachers can be gifted if that's an issue. Some philanthropist out here would give that money. Stop with your rhetoric that's anti-me sir. I know what the issues are from my side and I'll speak on them from my perspective and you do the same.

To wrap it up,

RESPECT DA HAVEN

You are always looking  to inject race into any discussion and your words are full of hatred and bitterness.   It's always black vs white.  It's Blackhaven not Whitehaven. It's who you are and it's people like you who are the reason that there will never be racial harmony in Memphis.  

Whitehaven has a stadium because it was originally a COUNTY school and ALL of them had stadiums NOT because they were "lily white" but because they were in the country, far outside the old city limits, and there was nowhere else to play.  All of them were "lily white" because of segregation. 

I don't know why Hamilton doesn't have a stadium but I don't assume it is racism. I do know Hamilton is not far from Crump.  Maybe that had something to do with it.  Northside is a post integration school just a few miles north of Crump so certainly there's no reason for them  to have a stadium.  I'm pretty sure Trezevant was relatively small when built.  But for whatever reasons, it is IN THE PAST.  

As another blogger pointed out,  White Station has always been a large predominantly white school and it has no stadium.  Parochial and private schools have stadiums because they build them with their own funds.  All of the former county schools were built with county not city funds.  The trend during your lifetime has been to build facilities that serve multiple schools.  That is fiscally responsible.   

Edited by owlbooster

You are always looking to inject race into any discussion and your words are full of hatred and bitterness. It's always black vs white. It's Blackhaven not Whitehaven. It's who you are and it's people like you who are the reason that there will never be racial harmony in Memphis.

I don't know why Hamilton doesn't have a stadium but I don't assume it is racism. I do know Hamilton is not far from Crump. Maybe that had something to do with it. Northside is a post integration school just a few miles north of Crump so certainly there's no reason for them to have a stadium. I'm pretty sure Trezevant was relatively small when built. But for whatever reasons, it is IN THE PAST.

As another blogger pointed out, White Station has always been a large predominantly white school and it has no stadium. Parochial and private schools have stadiums because they build them with their own funds. All of the former county schools had stadiums because they were far outside the city, actually in the country, and had nowhere else to play. They were built with county not city funds. The trend during your lifetime has been to build facilities that serve multiple schools. That is fiscally responsible.

Before reading all of your post, please understand that everything in Memphis and the State of Tennessee has a black vs white racial element to it. We don't live anywhere that's color blind. Let me continue reading Edited by BlackHavenSenator

I will attempt to put in my two cents on several of the statements that have been made. The municipal school districts in Shelby county have their coaches do all field work. I believe the lack of motivation to maintain fields by coaching staffs is one of the reasons for no on campus facilities. Is racism a factor, I am not saying yes or no but expense in maintenance is a factor. We spend over 100,000$ a year on our fields. Staff turnover is another issue about high school fields. White Station does not have a field and it was predominately white along with Ridgeway. Additionally, there may have been a point in time when some of the older inner-city schools had football fields but that land was sold or repurposed by the district at some point. At this point to buy land to build fields might not be financially feasible.

MLK

Melrose

Brighton

Fayette Ware

Southwind

Bolivar

West Monroe

Munford

Cordova

Bartlett

Collierville

CBHS