#2 (6A) Oakland @ #4 (4A) Haywood

GoPats2019

It's not a certain classification, it's all classifications. As to a point I made earlier all those teams are in Shelby County. Henry land ppl consider themselves in Middle TN.

Melrose and East has not been past the 2nd round in a long time (that I am aware of).

We STILL think Mid and East are better because they do better in the playoffs and in the championship game. If you don't measure teams based on wins in sports, how else are you supposed to do it.

I want to believe every region in TN has teams to offer, but I just don't see it - nor does the record books.

We measure how many successful people we help produce at Whitehaven not to mention how many folks we get into someone's college. I think a few other programs are just as concerned about that than they are Gold Balls.

I have seen plenty of Henry Co fans claim WEST TN on the T, but whatever.

All of the programs I named out of Memphis/West TN were dominant at one point or another in the state yet I'm sure the Middle and East TN football superiority complex REMAINED in those people who think that way minds... Even when those schools outside of Middle and East TN were WINNING Titles no less...

As I said, 1 or 2 dominant programs beating the same teams in the same area doesn't show that there's better football over 'yonder' as the old folks say. It just shows that those few programs are very consistent and has very little to do with the area as a whole.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a certain classification, it's all classifications. As to a point I made earlier all those teams are in Shelby County. Henry land ppl consider themselves in Middle TN.

Melrose and East has not been past the 2nd round in a long time (that I am aware of).

We STILL think Mid and East are better because they do better in the playoffs and in the championship game. If you don't measure teams based on wins in sports, how else are you supposed to do it.

I want to believe every region in TN has teams to offer, but I just don't see it - nor does the record books.

I'm a lifelong Henry Co. fan. We are West TN and west of the TN River & I don't know any HC fans that think otherwise. We get lumped in with mid TN because of our size and region/district classification.

I'm a lifelong Henry Co. fan. We are West TN and west of the TN River & I don't know any HC fans that think otherwise. We get lumped in with mid TN because of our size and region/district classification.

Good to know. Could you please let the Tennesseean know? They usually have y'all in the top 10 for Middle TN.

Thanks in advance.

Major respect to Maryville for sure. You can bet they are always ready to play in any game and they are the standard of excellence in TN for High School football. The discipline and schematics they execute have been absolutely outstanding over the years. However, I have watched a ton of Ruco county football and playoff football over the years and I believe this is the best team I have seen. Specifically on the defensive side of the ball. That's not an easy statement coming from a Blackman fan but I believe it. I may eat crow come playoff time and I will gladly accept it if I am wrong. I don't think anyone will beat this team.

I watched Oakland play Maryville last year in the semi's and Oakland had superior athletes at almost every position but Maryville played like well oiled machine and won the game.  This game will be played at Oakland but I don't see a different outcome.  Maryville still wins.

Good to know. Could you please let the Tennesseean know? They usually have y'all in the top 10 for Middle TN.

Thanks in advance.

To re-visit my point, Middle or East Tennessee's one or two stellar programs don't make their football any better. Those few programs are simply special.

I look forward to seeing the Red Dragon (Maryville ) in Cookeville, unless Rutherford Co stops selling them wolf tickets and finally wins the Semifinal match up. I'm thirsty, I need some tea.

Thanks in advance.

It's because we play in a mid TN region. We are also in a geographic oddity for coverage in NW TN. A little over 2 hours north of Memphis & 2 hours west of Nashville. There are also no other 5A schools closer than Clarksville & none in within close to 2 hours in west TN.

I watched Oakland play Maryville last year in the semi's and Oakland had superior athletes at almost every position but Maryville played like well oiled machine and won the game. This game will be played at Oakland but I don't see a different outcome. Maryville still wins.

Can't argue with you on that point. I just hope both teams handle business so we get to watch it. Will be a barn burner for sure.

Oakland has shut out 4 of their 6 opponents so far this year and had only given up 20 points total in those 6 games. They have put the running clock on all 6 opponents by early in the 3rd quarter. This game wont be much different even though Haywood is undefeated. This one will be a run away also. Haywood has given up a lot of points this year even though they have won all of their games. It all comes to an end for them this week. Oakland has too much strength and depth for the Tomcats to keep up. Oakland 56 Haywood 7 with the clock running again..

Ok, I was off by 4 points for Oakland and 1 point for Haywood but Im still perfect on my picks for 2016..   Oakland 52- Haywood 6

I dare say 3A Alcoa or 4A Knox Fulton or Knox Catholic can compete with most 6A schools.

But Alcoa nor Fulton have fared will against the top 6A team in the land (Maryville). And they haven't in a while. Haywood loses a lot of it talent to the private schools in Jackson, TN. It is amazing to watch them bus in Haywood top athletes every morning bright and early. So of course they wouldn't be able to compete with the 2nd best 6A team in the land hands down.

You can say that, but I don't ever remember a West TN team in 3A and up doing well in the championship game. I'm sure there is probably one, but West TN just dosent have the same ball as Mid or East.

Haven and Station are obviously great programs. Other than those 2 I can't think of any other good teams.

I would like for you to study TN high school football. 3A Milan went to the State Championship game 2 years in a row recently. 3A Liberty Tech high school (who has been consistently good over the last several years) was in the state semifinals last year against CPA, and were undefeated until that loss. 

White Station is a middle of the road team in Memphis. They have up and down years. But if you want to talk about consistency let's talk about the Ridgeway High School (4A), Trezevant High School (2A defending state champion who went in 4A the year before) Cordova High School (6A who just beat White Station last Friday and are 8-0). East High School (4A who lost to Pearl Cohn on the Semifinals last year). And imagine this Ridgeway, East, and White Station are all in a 6 to 8 miles radius of each other. Imagine if they took just one of those schools away. I'll do you one better Ridgeway High School is less then a 1/4 of a mile from MUS (Look up their record). 

Please never guess research, because football is only different in the west because it is so diluted.