OAK RIDGE vs WEBB

WillieTheWildcat

It could have been a simple schedule conflict. But, the call was made. Alcoa's next call was Greeneville. They said yes. It looks like a season opener at CN.

I hope you're right and it was a simple schedule conflict. I don't like the thought of us dodging opponents. The OR I know and grew up loving would've never backed down from a challenge. I hope we still have that mindset. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're right and it was a simple schedule conflict. I don't like the thought of us dodging opponents. The OR I know and grew up loving would've never backed down from a challenge. I hope we still have that mindset. 

SS we do not have that mind set anymore.  JG is trying to win another state championship and then he is gone.  The unfortunate part is that our program is going backwards instead of forward.

Year 1 7 - 4, year 2 12 - 1, year three 11-2, year four 7-2 so far with a heck of a lot more talent than the first three years.  not looking good.

Them having Maryville on their schedule isn't that big of a deal to me. Of course Maryville is great that's not my point, but isn't Alcoa expected to play them every year? That's a rivalry that has been happening for years upon years now. If alcoa didn't schedule that game it would cause an uproar.

I agree Alcoa and Maryville MUST play every year. Its a moral imperative they play. My point was simply show me another 3A team with a tougher non region schedule than Webb, Maryville, WB and Heritage. Another 3A school may have one, but I've not seen it.

SS we do not have that mind set anymore. JG is trying to win another state championship and then he is gone. The unfortunate part is that our program is going backwards instead of forward.

Year 1 7 - 4, year 2 12 - 1, year three 11-2, year four 7-2 so far with a heck of a lot more talent than the first three years. not looking good.

I agree. And I think us not scheduling very good non region opponents hurts us come playoff time. You're right we do not have that mindset. It's sad.

I agree. And I think us not scheduling very good non region opponents hurts us come playoff time. You're right we do not have that mindset. It's sad.

what?  we lost our last two non district games.  That's good enough competition for me.  ha ha.  DB, AC, McMinn and Webb.  Thats pretty good comp.

Edited by oridgecat

You have a point. I think Webb is a really good team, but that loss to McMinn is suspect. Why schedule McMinn when you can play a Fulton, Catholic, Maryville, or Alcoa which are all in much closer proximity. McMinn has only been good this year since we started playing them in 2013. Play a powerhouse or something. Even if we get beat, at least people will respect us. Nobody does anymore.

You have a point. I think Webb is a really good team, but that loss to McMinn is suspect. Why schedule McMinn when you can play a Fulton, Catholic, Maryville, or Alcoa which are all in much closer proximity. McMinn has only been good this year since we started playing them in 2013. Play a powerhouse or something. Even if we get beat, at least people will respect us. Nobody does anymore.

I definitely wouldn't say no one respects you. I think OR is really respected the past couple years. At least by the guys in green. I still would put OR as a top ten team in the prep xtra area.

SS we do not have that mind set anymore. JG is trying to win another state championship and then he is gone. The unfortunate part is that our program is going backwards instead of forward.

Year 1 7 - 4, year 2 12 - 1, year three 11-2, year four 7-2 so far with a heck of a lot more talent than the first three years. not looking good.

How do you see it going backward after losses to two good teams?

It seems to me that much of OR athletics is a little stale.

I definitely wouldn't say no one respects you. I think OR is really respected the past couple years. At least by the guys in green. I still would put OR as a top ten team in the prep xtra area.

Thanks S4L. Well, I would agree with you on the prepxtra thing, but at OR through the years ( I know we haven't won a championship in decades) is being top 5-10 in the STATE and competing for state championships. I don't know, it's probably just me wishfully thinking we can someday get back to the days when we were a dominant program, at least a threat to win a state title every year. Maybe that just isn't possible anymore here and I'm just overly nostalgiac. Getting beat by McMinn County when I was growing up and in HS was an afterthought. Not taking anything away from McMinn, but I just don't feel that we aspire to be great anymore, but it's probably true that we just don't have those kind of players overall anymore. I just wanna get back to the days where teams feared playing OR, but I don't know if we will ever recapture those days again. 

How do you see it going backward after losses to two good teams?

It seems to me that much of OR athletics is a little stale.

Our talent level has gone up since JG came back but because the coaches have put players in the wrong place and our seconds and thirds have not been coached in order to improve our depth.  Then we have gone backwards when we should be improving and getting closer to competing for a state title.  The east is weak right now, we should win these games, no offense to McMinn or Webb, but we should beat them right now.

Oak Ridge athletics is stale.  I spoke with our athletic director about mentoring and discipline earlier this week from our coaches, and if we had that, how our performance on the fields or courts would show that over time.  Question is, do we have the right coaches and leaders in our athletic program?

Our talent level has gone up since JG came back but because the coaches have put players in the wrong place and our seconds and thirds have not been coached in order to improve our depth.  Then we have gone backwards when we should be improving and getting closer to competing for a state title.  The east is weak right now, we should win these games, no offense to McMinn or Webb, but we should beat them right now.

Oak Ridge athletics is stale.  I spoke with our athletic director about mentoring and discipline earlier this week from our coaches, and if we had that, how our performance on the fields or courts would show that over time.  Question is, do we have the right coaches and leaders in our athletic program?

And what did the AD have to say about that?