OAK RIDGE vs WEBB

WillieTheWildcat

And what did the AD have to say about that?

He said that it is hard to do.  He agreed that winning is not everything, it is important what type of young men we send out of our program. 

RW87-how does discipline and mentoring affect the Maryville program?  I, from the outside looking in see it as a huge reason why they have such success at football and their sports programs.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said that it is hard to do. He agreed that winning is not everything, it is important what type of young men we send out of our program.

RW87-how does discipline and mentoring affect the Maryville program? I, from the outside looking in see it as a huge reason why they have such success at football and their sports programs.

Discipline is the most important thing. From grades to workouts to wearing the travel shirt tucked in to school on game days. Then the X's and O's come in second. There is a lot of mentoring as well. There are several small groups that meet each week at different coaches houses. Tonight my son will go to one. They sit around a fire pit and talk about what they need to.

Discipline is the most important thing. From grades to workouts to wearing the travel shirt tucked in to school on game days. Then the X's and O's come in second. There is a lot of mentoring as well. There are several small groups that meet each week at different coaches houses. Tonight my son will go to one. They sit around a fire pit and talk about what they need to.

This is exactly what I am talking about.  If we had this kind of discipline here at OR, we not only weed out the bad kids, we will also start challenging for state championships.  Discipline has always been a problem for JG.  Hence the reason there is only 1 state championship under his belt.

SS-unfortunately you are correct about missing workouts and getting to start.  It is worse than most folks know.

This is exactly what I am talking about. If we had this kind of discipline here at OR, we not only weed out the bad kids, we will also start challenging for state championships. Discipline has always been a problem for JG. Hence the reason there is only 1 state championship under his belt.

SS-unfortunately you are correct about missing workouts and getting to start. It is worse than most folks know.

Not necessarily weeding out the "bad kids" but hoping to give them structure and make them accountable to someone. And I'm by no means saying we haven't had our share of problems. Everyone knows about our dismissals last season. But one of those players was given a guidelines and steps that had to be met and he fulfilled those requirements and has come back this season and became a leader. Edited by rebelwoman87

This is exactly what I am talking about.  If we had this kind of discipline here at OR, we not only weed out the bad kids, we will also start challenging for state championships.  Discipline has always been a problem for JG.  Hence the reason there is only 1 state championship under his belt.

SS-unfortunately you are correct about missing workouts and getting to start.  It is worse than most folks know.

Well, I didn't wanna say it, but.....lol

Not necessarily weeding out the "bad kids" but hoping to give them structure and make them accountable to someone. And I'm by no means saying we having had our share of problems. Everyone knows about our dismissals last season. But one of those players was given a guidelines and steps that had to be met and he fulfilled those requirements and has come back this season and became a leader.

Thanks RW 87- that is a lot better way to put it.  I struggled with a way to word that properly.  My son knows the kid that you were referring to.  That is great.  This is the structure that we need.  Each kid accountable for themselves and their team.

Thanks RW 87- that is a lot better way to put it.  I struggled with a way to word that properly.  My son knows the kid that you were referring to.  That is great.  This is the structure that we need.  Each kid accountable for themselves and their team.

Who can bring that to our team? Or will we continue to settle for what we have?

Call me stupid but I don't think the OR problems are as bad as you all want me to believe.I'm sure we have our share of problems but no more than other top schools. Some people are being too critical because we lost two games and have our hands full tomorrow night. We can still catch fire like Sevier County did last year. That is my mind set. I'm a the glass is half full kind of person.

Remember, chicken little said the sky was falling and guess what? The sky didn't fall.

This post wasn't aimed at anyone.