When are we gonna get some predictions for this year?

HCWCCoachV

It appears as if the Irish graduated several key members of the 2015-16 team along with great senior leadership.  I would be hard pressed to believe that FR has the horsepower & mental fortitude to compete with the loaded lineup of CBHS.  Everyone knows that you never see the true FR team until the state tournament.  If Pat Simpson is able to push this team to the top of the podium he needs to take his show to Las Vegas because he is a better magician than David Copperfield.

In case anyone wants a measuring stick of where the Irish are now and will become in February...

Father Ryan Wrestling 2016-17

Nov. 26 Arlington, Dickson, MBA, Hillsboro, Farview, Clarksville NW, starts 12 noon @ Ryan

Dec. 3 Moeller Dual Cincinnati Ohio

Dec. 6 Wilson Central starts 7:30 @ Ryan

Dec. 10 Cleveland Duals Cleveland, Tennessee

Dec. 16 Brentwood, Friendship, William Blount @ Ryan 5pm

Dec. 20 Thompson Duals, Alabama

Bob Jones,Clay, Gradendale, Helena, Madison, Moody, Oxford, Sparkman

Dec. 23 Union County, Graham @ Union Kentucky start 12 noon

Dec. 27/28 Takedown Sportswear Inv. in Atlanta @ Buford High

Jan. 6 Johnny Drennan Inv. starts 2 pm

Jan. 7 Johnny Drennan Inv. Quaterfinal

10am quaterfinals 2pm semifinals 6pm Finals

Jan.14 MBA starts 7pm @ Ryan senior night

Jan. 17 Brewntwood Academy starts 7pm @ Ryan

Jan. 20 Soddy Daisy away starts 7pm est.

Jan. 21 Baylor and McCallie @ Baylor TBA

Jan. 28 CBHS (region duals final) starts 9:30 @CBHS

Feb. 3/4 State Duals @ Ag Center in Franklin

Feb. 11 Region Individuals in Memphis

Feb. 17/18 State Individuals @ Ag Center in Franklin

Feb.24/25 National Prep Tournament @ Lehigh in Pennsylvania

Beech is the best young team, probably still 1 year away from hanging with WC or Bradley. Ryan will be down a little this year, but still strong, and have Eli King (2nd best wrestler in the state pound for pound) for his last season. Their kids program only had a couple of placers in AAU and has been pretty weak the last couple of years in youth wrestling.

Baylor is down as well. Won't compete with Bradley or Ryan. McCallie will be their usual 4th or 5th in DII and top 20 overall. Watch out for MBA flying under the radar. Several underachievers that could surprise people. TN high, like Beech, will open some eyes in the next couple of years.

Cleveland probably has the best kids club in the state but is rebuilding and won't see those fruits for two years.

1) Bradley

2) Wilson Central

3) Beech

4) Father Ryan

5) Cleveland

6) TN High

7) Baylor

8) CBHS

9) Soddy

10) MBA

Ok correct me if I am wrong. Your top 10 teams are either open enrollment or private school. How do other teams compete againt that. All you need is either money or a form of transportation to attend those schools.

Don't believe all that open enrollment stuff. Now kids moving and living other family members may be a different story.

Bradley and Cleveland... 99% of these kids has been wrestling together since they was 5 years old. That's one and the most important reason Cleveland and Bradley is the dominate 2 teams in public schools. Not many counties has it, but we have the 2 best feeder youth programs in the state of Tennessee. Pick and choose your school. You're almost guaranteed a state championship.

As for privates, well privates are privates. Hard to beat recruiting classes. They'll always be at top as long as schollys and recruiting gets to take place.

If I'm not mistaken, McMinn is opening up a youth program of their own. If you want to compete with Soddy, Bradley and Cleveland, it's not bout open enrollment, but starts at a very young age.

• Upvote 1

Its really not difficult. You wanna know the secret to having a successful high school program? Guarantee most coaches will agree too, the "secret" is having a good feeder program. Want to know which teams are on the rise and will be the most successful in the near future? Look at the middle school and club programs. Blackman, Beech, Cleveland, Bradley, West Wilson, Nashville Catholic, etc.

Edited by WrestlingGod

Don't believe all that open enrollment stuff. Now kids moving and living other family members may be a different story.

Bradley and Cleveland... 99% of these kids has been wrestling together since they was 5 years old. That's one and the most important reason Cleveland and Bradley is the dominate 2 teams in public schools. Not many counties has it, but we have the 2 best feeder youth programs in the state of Tennessee. Pick and choose your school. You're almost guaranteed a state championship.

As for privates, well privates are privates. Hard to beat recruiting classes. They'll always be at top as long as schollys and recruiting gets to take place.

If I'm not mistaken, McMinn is opening up a youth program of their own. If you want to compete with Soddy, Bradley and Cleveland, it's not bout open enrollment, but starts at a very young age.

I am hard pressed to believe that very much recruiting goes on in wrestling or other minor sports.  Yes, you have families that want to attend private schools because they have a tradition of winning state championships combined with excellent academics and placing some of their kids at elite academic institutions but I am not sure any of the schools have made a real effort to recruit for wrestling.  The problem is that most all families have to pay some percentage of the tuition and when schools have tuition cost at $20,000.00+ and the family qualifies for 50% financial aid that is still $10,000.00 they must pay and very few families are able to come up with that type of money.  What I see is D2 teams have two or three kids on financial aid but it's not like they have 75% or 95% of their roster on financial aid. If Baylor or McCallie ever decide that they want to truly compete on the national level with the likes of Blair Academy, Graham & Wyoming Sem it is over for everyone in Tennessee.  By being boarding schools and having large endowments they have the ability to recruit and compete on a national level if they so desire. 

Edited by cbg

Its really not difficult. You wanna know the secret to having a successful high school program? Guarantee most coaches will agree too, the "secret" is having a good feeder program. Want to know which teams are on the rise and will be the most successful in the near future? Look at the middle school and club programs. Blackman, Beech, Cleveland, Bradley, West Wilson, Nashville Catholic, etc.

You're correct sir. Bradley has got "2 national champions" already in the youth group. One will be in high school next year and other middle school. What high school they end up at is a different story. One I'm pretty sure will be a Bear. Last I talked to him anyways. It starts before middle school and during middle school.

• Upvote 1

I am hard pressed to believe that very much recruiting goes on in wrestling or other minor sports.  Yes, you have families that want to attend private schools because they have a tradition of winning state championships combined with excellent academics and placing some of their kids at elite academic institutions but I am not sure any of the schools have made a real effort to recruit for wrestling.  The problem is that most all families have to pay some percentage of the tuition and when schools have tuition cost at $20,000.00+ and the family qualifies for 50% financial aid that is still $10,000.00 they must pay and very few families are able to come up with that type of money.  What I see is D2 teams have two or three kids on financial aid but it's not like they have 75% or 95% of their roster on financial aid. If Baylor or McCallie ever decide that they want to truly compete on the national level with the likes of Blair Academy, Graham & Wyoming Sem it is over for everyone in Tennessee.  By being boarding schools and having large endowments they have the ability to recruit and compete on a national level if they so desire. 

You don't have to be a private school to compete with Blair....we did it in 2010: (we lost....but I'd say we competed)

Final Four Duals (PA)

Site: Easton High School (PA) 

Long Branch (Won 27 - 25)

Blair Academy (Lost 33 - 30)

Benton (Won 54 - 25)

Easton (Won 45 - 12)

• Upvote 1

Sommers....

If any of the old guys are still around.....I'll be here:

Dec. 27/28 Takedown Sportswear Inv. in Atlanta @ Buford High

This is the first event held in the new $24m gym. 

Ahhhh, the coaching changes...

Yes, been hearing rumors of what may happen with Buford. What was Parkview and Archer with Beuglas will likely become Buford adding to wrestling history down there along with McEachern, Collins Hill, Pope, Powder Springs, Ringgold, Jefferson and Camden amongst others...

Love GA wrestling!!