Regions Announced: 1A

BoardHater71

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hevyrevy1611

One of the sad things here at Dresden, at least the way I understand it is, that the football program does not receive any monies from gate or concessions, it all goes to the civic group the field named after. Awesome local citizens & volunteers in Dresden formed the Quarterback Club to raise monies for long-needed improvements and to help sports program out in other ways. The team gets no monies from games or what's sold. Perhaps I wrong but that's what I understand. That's why if I had bottomless pockets & money I would build another sports complex & stadium nearby, make it debt free, with all monies perpetually going to our sports' programs & teams. (To borrow Roy Dillard's famous line), You think I'm kidding but I'm not.

Or region 8. Should put Huntingdon and Bruceton in region 7.

In a since I agree but that would be a 9 team region and leave other regions with only 4 teams. So teams in region 7 that would be better than alot of those teams with the 4 team regions would be left out of playoffs. The teams in the four team regions would not have to win a rwgion game while teams in the nine team region would have to win at least 5 region games to finish in the 4th spot. Nothing the TSSAA does makes since.

Bigster regarding schedule next year. We will have 6 region games and play Fulton Co for sure. I doubt Obion Central, Dyer Co will play us. I have heard Halls will not play LC next year. UC in my opinion will be doubtful. Peabody will play Milan and Humboldt for sure and probably have other teams they want to play before LC. Maybe Martin Westview or someone like that will play. If I see you I will explain why Obion Central or Dyer Co won't play. I would like to see LC and Central but I don't think it will happen.

Surprised about Halls

Ripley? Jackson Christian? Trinity Christian? 

Ok, Thanks..I personally wouldn't play DyerCo  anyway,even if LC was a lot stronger. All we'd be doing would play against players from Lake Co.Cant believe the things they do.My son has a best friend that lives in Dyersburg.Has went to Newbern school systems all her life.Went to Northview and yer Co for 3 years.He told me that Dyer co told her she couldn't attend Dyer Co this year because she lives out of the school zone without paying a tuition.But they'll let kids that don 

t even live in Dyer Co ,that live in Lake Co that plays sports to attend for free.Word I have is that she moved to Newbern with her boy friend so she could attend.

In a since I agree but that would be a 9 team region and leave other regions with only 4 teams. So teams in region 7 that would be better than alot of those teams with the 4 team regions would be left out of playoffs. The teams in the four team regions would not have to win a rwgion game while teams in the nine team region would have to win at least 5 region games to finish in the 4th spot. Nothing the TSSAA does makes since.

I agree. Would be too many teams and leave some good teams at hom.A 6th place team may would be better than some third and 4th place teams and stay home.

I think it will make scheduling easier for everyone.  Travel would be better.  To be honest, it is highly unlikely that a team that finishes 5th could go very deep in the playoffs.  Though a 4th place Scott's Hill kind of provides a counter example.  We need to remember we can't get it all.  We have similar size schools, private split and we know how the playoffs work.  A few common sense region moves and we have the best we can probably do.

I agree. Would be too many teams and leave some good teams at hom.A 6th place team may would be better than some third and 4th place teams and stay home.

Everyone has a plan.  Here was mine.  This would address your concerns.

Step 1

Divide 51 teams as evenly as possible in to fourths.  So in 1a closest combinations of 12,13,13,13.

Step 2

Sub divide those fourths by the closest cluster of two possible. (12 teams- 8&4, 7&5, 6&6 or 13 teams- 9&4, 8&5, 7&6)

This would give you your 8 Regions.  

Step 3

To keep things "fair", subtract two teams from the smaller of two adjoining regions.  The result is how many teams they have in the playoffs.  The remaining teams needed to field the eight necessary to fill that section of the bracket will come from the larger region.

FOR EXAMPLE:

12 teams 1/4-

# of teams in region (# make the playoffs)

8(6)&4(2) 5th & 6th in bigger region become 3rd and 4th seeds in the smaller region

7(5)&5(3) 5th in bigger region become 4th seed in the smaller region

6(4)&6(4)

13 teams 1/4

9(6)&4(2) 5th & 6th in bigger region become 3rd and 4th seeds in the smaller region

8(5)&5(3) 5th in bigger region become 4th seed in the smaller region

7(4)&6(4)

UPSIDE:

Teams do not have to travel as far in region.  Large regions are not under represented in the playoffs.  FEWER one and two win teams will make it.  Travel.

DOWNSIDE:

Small regions will have to schedule a lot of games (which they already do).

Everyone has a plan. Here was mine. This would address your concerns.

Step 1

Divide 51 teams as evenly as possible in to fourths. So in 1a closest combinations of 12,13,13,13.

Step 2

Sub divide those fourths by the closest cluster of two possible. (12 teams- 8&4, 7&5, 6&6 or 13 teams- 9&4, 8&5, 7&6)

This would give you your 8 Regions.

Step 3

To keep things "fair", subtract two teams from the smaller of two adjoining regions. The result is how many teams they have in the playoffs. The remaining teams needed to field the eight necessary to fill that section of the bracket will come from the larger region.

FOR EXAMPLE:

12 teams 1/4-

# of teams in region (# make the playoffs)

8(6)&4(2) 5th & 6th in bigger region become 3rd and 4th seeds in the smaller region

7(5)&5(3) 5th in bigger region become 4th seed in the smaller region

6(4)&6(4)

13 teams 1/4

9(6)&4(2) 5th & 6th in bigger region become 3rd and 4th seeds in the smaller region

8(5)&5(3) 5th in bigger region become 4th seed in the smaller region

7(4)&6(4)

UPSIDE:

Teams do not have to travel as far in region. Large regions are not under represented in the playoffs. FEWER one and two win teams will make it. Travel.

DOWNSIDE:

Small regions will have to schedule a lot of games (which they already do).

My plan would be to use the class system that was just announced by TSSAA. Change regions such as placing Huntingdon and Bruceton in 7a. Let the region winners automatically qualify for playoffs and then use the Z plan for the rest of the teams. Do that in all classes. That would eliminate most teams under 500. It might be that only the region winner qualified for the playoffs and the 5th place team from a larger region makes it in. That way you should get the majority of the teams that deserve to be in the playoffs.

I feel bad for Middleton.

I think this classification is actually better for middleton than being sent to memphis for a number of reasons:

1.  in memphis they would have been in an 9 team region.  This means that 4 of their home games every year would be against teams from memphis who bring no fans to the games.  Gates would be awful. It also means that they couldn't schedule the teams from right across the mississippi line that usually bring in the biggest gates of the season.   

2. 1a high school football in memphis is a disorganized mess.  It the past two years middleton has had 5 scheduled games cancelled due to schools closing or not fielding a team after they had scheduled the games.  Once they had to dress in a field because there was no one there to let them in a locker room when they arrived.   at btw they had rocks thrown at their buses as they were leaving the game. Some of the coaches are almost impossible to get in contact with and many refuse to swap film.  

3.  The travel time really is not that much different.  When you have to drive to downtown memphis in rush hour traffic on a bus it takes about an hour and 40 minutes from middleton.  15 more minutes to collinwood isn't that big of a deal. And it would only be 3 trips east per year as opposed to 4 trips into memphis. 

4.  I honestly think middleton can be competitive with a few of the teams in the bottom of region 6.

I think this classification is actually better for middleton than being sent to memphis for a number of reasons:

1.  in memphis they would have been in an 9 team region.  This means that 4 of their home games every year would be against teams from memphis who bring no fans to the games.  Gates would be awful. It also means that they couldn't schedule the teams from right across the mississippi line that usually bring in the biggest gates of the season.   

2. 1a high school football in memphis is a disorganized mess.  It the past two years middleton has had 5 scheduled games cancelled due to schools closing or not fielding a team after they had scheduled the games.  Once they had to dress in a field because there was no one there to let them in a locker room when they arrived.   at btw they had rocks thrown at their buses as they were leaving the game. Some of the coaches are almost impossible to get in contact with and many refuse to swap film.  

3.  The travel time really is not that much different.  When you have to drive to downtown memphis in rush hour traffic on a bus it takes about an hour and 40 minutes from middleton.  15 more minutes to collinwood isn't that big of a deal. And it would only be 3 trips east per year as opposed to 4 trips into memphis. 

4.  I honestly think middleton can be competitive with a few of the teams in the bottom of region 6.

Very interesting post.  You make a lot of sense.  I think Middleton has a great deal of potential if the coaches can get the kids out for football and then coach them up.  Good luck.

My plan would be to use the class system that was just announced by TSSAA. Change regions such as placing Huntingdon and Bruceton in 7a. Let the region winners automatically qualify for playoffs and then use the Z plan for the rest of the teams. Do that in all classes. That would eliminate most teams under 500. It might be that only the region winner qualified for the playoffs and the 5th place team from a larger region makes it in. That way you should get the majority of the teams that deserve to be in the playoffs.

Do you think Huntingdon and Bruceton want to be moved?