WBHS Schedule 2017

etcoach

Never heard the dodging excuse. However, heard Alcoa was WB's lowest draw in gate money in the past. Always found that to be funny! 😂

Actually,

WB probably added Alcoa back to the schedule because that was a good game for gate money. With all the long road trips it made sense. There's also the fact that non-region games did not affect playoff seeding in the Super 32.

From a friend very close to Blount County football.

Lol bust em!! Not to mention they're middle school coach said that he appreciated our attempt to schedule them that as long as he(Rick young) was the coach at WBMS he is not and would never be interested in playing us!! COWARD! Why would you not want your team to play the best competition they could play? WBMS7-Mjh0 Alcoa middle 40-MJH 0 yet they claim they are Blount county champs...

Rick Young is a fine man and a great coach. He and his wife have raised two great sons, and heck, even his brothers are pretty cool. I'm so glad to have Rick as our coach. To call him a "coward" over a middle school football dispute...wow.

It is what it is. However, don't you find it odd that WB is crowned champs while refusing to play Alcoa at the middle school level? I don't see how they could call themselves champs when they didn't play the best team in the area... just sayin....

Every time Shad does an interview it comes up that he is trying to keep the kids at WB to play. 30+ players quit before the last game. Wouldn't be surprised that some of those players show up on a city team. Should give coach Shad some excuses and interview material for next year. Hope Shad stays at WB for awhile he'll surpass some of the top recruiters in the city by losing half his team every year!

Edited by MountainRebel

It is what it is. However, don't you find it odd that WB is crowned champs while refusing to play Alcoa at the middle school level? I don't see how they could call themselves champs when they didn't play the best team in the area... just sayin....

I don't understand all this junior high school stuff where Eagleton don't play Maryville but Maryville played two teams out of state to get a scheduled filled. When I finally got a chance to go see the Rebels play out at Heritage I was in shock they only had 37 players. In the past they have normally had in the mid fifties out for ball. I was also shocked when they combined the two middle school football programs for WB. Another shocker I got was when one of my friends that coaches in the league below the midgets told me they had to play Knoxville teams because there weren't enough teams in Blount County now. This problem is called attrition and I'm not 100% what is causing it except for the possibility parents are just afraid of their kids getting hurt or some kind of head injury and not letting them play. Other than that I have no explanation but I do know one thing for sure is that it is now showing up at the high school level regarding the number of players out for football as they were three years ago at Maryville and Alcoa. I don't personally see this trend to get any worse at the lower levels but the high schools are now just starting to feel it and it will be very interesting to see how much it progresses over the next three or four years and what the overall effect will be. One of the biggest advantages Alcoa and Maryville have had over Knoxville teams and many others were that the kids all started playing in the second grade and the teams they were beating didn't start playing until the eight grade or maybe even high school. Now with that trend starting to slowly happen here it will also be something to look at in the future and what the effects will be. Now with all that being said it seems to me the biggest issue now will be who can steal each others players to survive this problem. It's almost like the free agency market where dad runs to every school in the county to see who can give their kid the best deal and when that kid makes the jump a lot of fans yell foul and a lot of names are called and feelings hurt.

I don't understand all this junior high school stuff where Eagleton don't play Maryville but Maryville played two teams out of state to get a scheduled filled. When I finally got a chance to go see the Rebels play out at Heritage I was in shock they only had 37 players. In the past they have normally had in the mid fifties out for ball. I was also shocked when they combined the two middle school football programs for WB. Another shocker I got was when one of my friends that coaches in the league below the midgets told me they had to play Knoxville teams because there weren't enough teams in Blount County now. This problem is called attrition and I'm not 100% what is causing it except for the possibility parents are just afraid of their kids getting hurt or some kind of head injury and not letting them play. Other than that I have no explanation but I do know one thing for sure is that it is now showing up at the high school level regarding the number of players out for football as they were three years ago at Maryville and Alcoa. I don't personally see this trend to get any worse at the lower levels but the high schools are now just starting to feel it and it will be very interesting to see how much it progresses over the next three or four years and what the overall effect will be. One of the biggest advantages Alcoa and Maryville have had over Knoxville teams and many others were that the kids all started playing in the second grade and the teams they were beating didn't start playing until the eight grade or maybe even high school. Now with that trend starting to slowly happen here it will also be something to look at in the future and what the effects will be. Now with all that being said it seems to me the biggest issue now will be who can steal each others players to survive this problem. It's almost like the free agency market where dad runs to every school in the county to see who can give their kid the best deal and when that kid makes the jump a lot of fans yell foul and a lot of names are called and feelings hurt.

Agreed! The only ones being hurt, in the long run, are the athletes...

I apologize for reading the ad.  There are no excuses.  WB has been flat out bad since 2008.  Yes we are dodging Alcoa.  It has nothing to do with gate money.  It has to do with not being able to compete with them for years now.  We are not going to win 9 games next year.  I have never predicted that.  We will take 5-5 or 6-4.  Those that are not from the inside will never know what it is like.  I don't expect you to.  Alcoa is rolling.  Good for them.  Especially Larry Hodge...my favorite Tornado!!!  Shad will be back, and 30+ players did not "quit" the team.  

Scott Cupp

865-621-3065 

coachscupp@yahoo.com

I apologize for reading the ad. There are no excuses. WB has been flat out bad since 2008. Yes we are dodging Alcoa. It has nothing to do with gate money. It has to do with not being able to compete with them for years now. We are not going to win 9 games next year. I have never predicted that. We will take 5-5 or 6-4. Those that are not from the inside will never know what it is like. I don't expect you to. Alcoa is rolling. Good for them. Especially Larry Hodge...my favorite Tornado!!! Shad will be back, and 30+ players did not "quit" the team.

Scott Cupp

865-621-3065

coachscupp@yahoo.com

After not going to the "playoff" game with the TEAM,then the beloved SHAD should have removed them from the TEAM!IMO.If they didn't then I agree with the other posters--They QUIT!