2018 Rankings

GCPioneer

I will say this. In addition to exposure events, most schools do host elite camps where they can get a "look" at some potential prospects, but if that is the ONLY time that the coaches of that school see you, you better be playing the best you have ever played and be head and shoulders better than everyone else at the camp in order to be even considered to be given a scholarship. Odds are though even doing that, the coach will want to know what exposure team you play for and what events you will be attending so that they can see you in game situations. so then there's that, Martian.

I understand "elite camps". The biggest purpose of these camps is to get previously identified and currently recruited players on campus and allow the coaches to interact with them. It is very unlikely that a kid will attend one of these camps out of the blue and catch the eye of the coach. And like you said, they better play their best that day. Usually they don't play great because of nerves. However, playing exposure events infront of multiple college coaches will help kids get over the nerves problem. Elite camps are great, but they are only a small part of the recruiting process. Mostly only D-1 schools Host these type of camps and some of them you must be invited to attend. You do have to pay a fee to go to these camps. A downside to only attending these camps as a kid's only method of being recruited is that several of these schools hold camps on the same days. So you are limiting ur exposure to only that one schools coaching staff. And if you are gonna travel around from city to city spending money attending multiple elite camps, why not just play an exposure event and let the college coaches come to you? That's why these events were originally set up.

I understand "elite camps". The biggest purpose of these camps is to get previously identified and currently recruited players on campus and allow the coaches to interact with them. It is very unlikely that a kid will attend one of these camps out of the blue and catch the eye of the coach. And like you said, they better play their best that day. Usually they don't play great because of nerves. However, playing exposure events infront of multiple college coaches will help kids get over the nerves problem. Elite camps are great, but they are only a small part of the recruiting process. Mostly only D-1 schools Host these type of camps and some of them you must be invited to attend. You do have to pay a fee to go to these camps. A downside to only attending these camps as a kid's only method of being recruited is that several of these schools hold camps on the same days. So you are limiting ur exposure to only that one schools coaching staff. And if you are gonna travel around from city to city spending money attending multiple elite camps, why not just play an exposure event and let the college coaches come to you? That's why these events were originally set up.

Pink, I agree.  I am on your side on this one as I have been through this several times.  I was only trying to give the Martian a shred of credibility!

Martian has only shook up parents on coacht that are worried about their daughter playing college basketball, or people making a living with aau or showcases. Why would you even reply if you were not one of the two? Yes, to be seen nation wide you must play travel ball. Question? How did girls get basketball scholarships before showcases and evaluations and high mile travel teams? When you answer this question you will be closer to the reason all this has been created. MONEY!

Responsibility is on the Parents! 1st you need to realize that your child is NOT a D1 player! I am a big fan of NAIA D3 JUCO etc! The statement that only 5% of kids are elite enough to play Exposure Tourneys was correct! Then if there are hundreds of teams at the BIG Exposure Events then 95% really should not be there! Question! If Suzie is from Smalltown TN. and is a NAIA level player and is recruited by 3 NAIA level Schools 1 in Illinois 1 in N.Dakata and 1 30mins from home where the College Coach comes to her HS games where will she go? And yes that level College Coaches do recruit HS's regularly! My recommendation if your kid is not one of those 5% is promote your own kid! Email the NAIA Coaches about your kid! Invite to a HS game! If they can play Coaches will come! And yes you will see D1 Coaches usually the assistants at HS games! But do what you feel is best for your child!

Good post sjf. I've seen coaches come and watch the "elite" player that they saw at exposure camps and walk away interested in others that were not at the camps. Any decent high school coach will take the opportunity to make sure others get noticed. I've even seen good college coaches say that they don't have a spot for a girl but they may know of a smaller school that does. Just my two cents.

Great conversation with good points made by all. Kind of a zone vs. man defense argument- both ways have advantages.

1. Kid must have the ability and desire to play

2. Parents must support that desire and be honest about kids ability

3. HS coach must promote those talent worthy

4. Travel coaches Must have the right motive

College ball IMO is an honor at any level. I applaud the 95% of kids who play ball to be involved, be a part of a team, learn life lessons and discipline and understand that they will never be a star or play at the next level. The 50% of kids who get very few minutes but sit the bench and cheer for their friends and don't quit over playing time. Volunteer Coaches who stay after practice to rebound for the kid who wants to get up some extra shots. That's what basketball use to be and still is for the majority.

• Upvote 1

Responsibility is on the Parents! 1st you need to realize that your child is NOT a D1 player! I am a big fan of NAIA D3 JUCO etc! The statement that only 5% of kids are elite enough to play Exposure Tourneys was correct! Then if there are hundreds of teams at the BIG Exposure Events then 95% really should not be there! Question! If Suzie is from Smalltown TN. and is a NAIA level player and is recruited by 3 NAIA level Schools 1 in Illinois 1 in N.Dakata and 1 30mins from home where the College Coach comes to her HS games where will she go? And yes that level College Coaches do recruit HS's regularly! My recommendation if your kid is not one of those 5% is promote your own kid! Email the NAIA Coaches about your kid! Invite to a HS game! If they can play Coaches will come! And yes you will see D1 Coaches usually the assistants at HS games! But do what you feel is best for your child!

Finally some COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope pink reads this.

Pink, I agree. I am on your side on this one as I have been through this several times. I was only trying to give the Martian a shred of credibility!

No, once you thought about it and done a little research you figured out I was right. Was there basketball 25 years ago? Yes, was there a showcase every weekend no. So I guess college coaches didn't recruit back then. SMH!!!!! It's amazing we had basketball without a showcase. How? Didn't get seen, HOW?