Farragut VS Independence 5A State Title Game

SweetScience

Congratulations to Farragut on the 5A State Title. Players and coaches showed a lot of heart and fight by coming back from a 35-7 deficit at halftime. Feel bad for the Independence QB...it is crazy that with a 35-7 lead that the Coach would not go more to a run heavy play sheet....slow the game down and eat away at the clock. Didn't do his QB any favors (after picks 2 and 3) should have tried to help him out.

Congratulations to Farragut on the 5A State Title. Players and coaches showed a lot of heart and fight by coming back from a 35-7 deficit at halftime. Feel bad for the Independence QB...it is crazy that with a 35-7 lead that the Coach would not go more to a run heavy play sheet....slow the game down and eat away at the clock. Didn't do his QB any favors (after picks 2 and 3) should have tried to help him out.

Farragut scored with 2 seconds to go in first half to make it 35-14 , then scored on the first play from scrimmage in second half to make it 35-21 . I agree with you though , with a 2 TD lead Indy should of ran the ball a lot more to run time off . 

Farragut scored with 2 seconds to go in first half to make it 35-14 , then scored on the first play from scrimmage in second half to make it 35-21 . I agree with you though , with a 2 TD lead Indy should of ran the ball a lot more to run time off .

That's hard to understand but I guess coach had his reasons. I think their failure to run the ball when up 35-7 and their lack of discipline (way too many personal fouls) beat them. The best team didn't win but the most deserving team did win.

Here's what you have to know about a Coach Blade team - he puts all his top big athletic speed guys on offense (linemen & skill players) and will not let them play on defense. He's an aggressive play caller and loves the big play. (Too much sometimes)The interception play right before halftime was the turning point in the game. I would have liked to see him run it with only 1:18 left before halftime but that's just not his nature and was a big reason Indy was 29-0 to that point. Actually Coach Blade had the perfect play called against their defense and if Hines throws the ball on time to Guidry he scores a touchdown no question about it and Indy has all the momentum going into the second half with a running clock and essentially taking Hardin and their running game out of the equation for a little bit. The other part of that play was the Interception return and the hustle play by Murphy on the tackle/strip of the ball recovered by Indy. It would have been a big swing of emotion for both teams if it was ruled a fumble. Refs determined he was down before ball came out and it was difficult to argue either way after watching the play a few times on film since it was a bang bang play but great effort all around and the type of play you would expect to see in a championship game. Next thing you know Farragut scores on the last play of the Half and they have all the momentum.

The reason Farragut won this game is the difference in coaching philosophy. Coach Blade wants to outscore you with his offense and hold on with a younger undermanned defense. Coach Courtney puts his best 11 players on the field at all times on offense and defense and that won him the ballgame. Coach Courtney clearly has the recipe to beating Coach Blade now that he is 4-1 all time against him at both Oak Ridge & Indy. Coach Blade needs to re-evaluate how he uses his talent if he wants another Golden Ball especially since Indy will be moving up to 6A next season.

Here's what you have to know about a Coach Blade team - he puts all his top big athletic speed guys on offense (linemen & skill players) and will not let them play on defense. He's an aggressive play caller and loves the big play. (Too much sometimes)The interception play right before halftime was the turning point in the game. I would have liked to see him run it with only 1:18 left before halftime but that's just not his nature and was a big reason Indy was 29-0 to that point. Actually Coach Blade had the perfect play called against their defense and if Hines throws the ball on time to Guidry he scores a touchdown no question about it and Indy has all the momentum going into the second half with a running clock and essentially taking Hardin and their running game out of the equation for a little bit. The other part of that play was the Interception return and the hustle play by Murphy on the tackle/strip of the ball recovered by Indy. It would have been a big swing of emotion for both teams if it was ruled a fumble. Refs determined he was down before ball came out and it was difficult to argue either way after watching the play a few times on film since it was a bang bang play but great effort all around and the type of play you would expect to see in a championship game. Next thing you know Farragut scores on the last play of the Half and they have all the momentum.

The reason Farragut won this game is the difference in coaching philosophy. Coach Blade wants to outscore you with his offense and hold on with a younger undermanned defense. Coach Courtney puts his best 11 players on the field at all times on offense and defense and that won him the ballgame. Coach Courtney clearly has the recipe to beating Coach Blade now that he is 4-1 all time against him at both Oak Ridge & Indy. Coach Blade needs to re-evaluate how he uses his talent if he wants another Golden Ball especially since Indy will be moving up to 6A next season.

I can't argue Blade throwing it before the half either IndyNation

If you look at it at that time Hines was hot and they were having it easy passing on them so I find no fault

I truly feel for Hines - kid had a great year and was a good leader

Blade kind of reminds me of a Mike Leach type of coach. Wizard when it comes to offense and a gunslinger mentality. I feel in games sometimes the same way Leach did when he was at TTU runs stuff just to see how defense will react and then uses that knowledge in future. I wouldn't call it running stuff at random bc there is a method to his madness. This might not be the smart thing to do at times but it did win him 29 games in a row. He also has the same personality of Leach kind of different and doesn't talk a lot but is very smart when it comes to football.

Love this win for my school and especially for Coach Eddie Courtney. I also love this win because of how cocky the Indy fans were on here last week. To hear them talk about it, Farragut and Indy should've saved the money spent on travel buses and just mailed the silver ball to Farragut. Sure makes my heart warm when the clowns from middle TN are made to look like idiots on coachT. This game was the embodiment of the 2016 Farragut season. A team that never gave up and never quit believing, what an awesome year it was. Great win for Farragut and hopefully the team will carry this momentum into next season.