OAK RIDGE 2017 FOOTBALL

WillieTheWildcat

According to the media, the State of Tennessee has approved a $500,000 grant to Oak Ridge for the installation of synthetic turf. I t should be ready for the 2017 season, RWR!

I also read yesterday a tweet by Jordan Graham that he wanted a jumbo Tron instead of the turf. Lets just hope he changes his mind when he sees his 4.48 speed in the 40 yard dash is even faster on the new surface. I really believe Sweet Feet will work hard at track this spring and be even more dangerous next fall. He may just use his junior year to springboard into the elite national running backs.  Good luck Jordan we are behind you.

RWR!

Yep there's grant money coming, turf is supposed to be put down after graduation. But for me new locker rooms and press box would be much better. Turf isn't going to make an antiquated stadium look or function better.  "The Ship" has a great stand of real grass and should be left alone. I don't want to try to keep up with the "Jones" (Knox County). just saying. 

I may be wrong but I seriously doubt if either Jordan Graham or Bounder will have any influence on whether or not we get turf. If Graham doesn't want to play on artificial turf then he's in trouble because everyone around here is getting it which means he'll play on it several times a year whether we get it or not.

Yep there's grant money coming, turf is supposed to be put down after graduation. But for me new locker rooms and press box would be much better. Turf isn't going to make an antiquated stadium look or function better.  "The Ship" has a great stand of real grass and should be left alone. I don't want to try to keep up with the "Jones" (Knox County). just saying.

I'm not sure what their motivation is for wanting turf but keeping up with "Jones" as you say (Knox County) wouldn't be accurate because at last count Memphis high schools all have it, Morristown high schools have it, Greeneville has it, Maryville and Alcoa have it, Rhea County has it, Dyersburg has it, Sevier County has it, Pigeon Forge has it, Gatlinburg-Pittman has it, Seymour has it, Anderson County has it, Kingsport D-B has it, Science Hill has it and I'm sure there are more than I could find.

Track/cross country are far and away the most successful sports at OR but in terms of media and fan interest basketball is at the top. With two winning programs and decades of tradition I can see why. Both teams play an exciting brand of ball.

As I understood the article, the grant is only available for construction that can benefit the public. As much as it may be necessary to update, locker rooms and stands have no ongoing public benefit. New turf and track may seem out of place if the stadium looks old.

Track/cross country are far and away the most successful sports at OR but in terms of media and fan interest basketball is at the top. With two winning programs and decades of tradition I can see why. Both teams play an exciting brand of ball.

As I understood the article, the grant is only available for construction that can benefit the public. As much as it may be necessary to update, locker rooms and stands have no ongoing public benefit. New turf and track may seem out of place if the stadium looks old.

Disagree with basketball having more media coverage and more fans than Football. The people that go to Football games at a big game couldn't be fit into that gym we have.