Region Duals

WrestlingGod

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Peck left Ravenwood and is now at Nolensville.

Not only did Coach Peck leave Ravenwood to go to Nolensville, so did a lot of the kids that were there and / or coming up through the middle school programs. You have to think too that they are also loosing one of their better feeder programs, as Sunset Middle School (along with the new Mill Creek Middle) will now primarily feed Nolensville more so than Ravenwood. And to top it all off, in the two seasons he has been gone, Ravenwood has had two different coaches. The stability of the program along with loosing a pretty good feeder program (time for Woodland Middle to step up) can damage any program for multiple years to come. I feel bad for Ravenwood as I am an alumni and helped set the foundation for their 5 year run at the state tournament. 

On top of that, the other programs in the county have really stepped up their game in the last few years. Good to see those teams succeed as they weren't as dominate when I was their. It always goes in cycles (unless you are the exception like Bradley, Cleveland, Soddy, Wilson, etc.)

Not only did Coach Peck leave Ravenwood to go to Nolensville, so did a lot of the kids that were there and / or coming up through the middle school programs. You have to think too that they are also loosing one of their better feeder programs, as Sunset Middle School (along with the new Mill Creek Middle) will now primarily feed Nolensville more so than Ravenwood. And to top it all off, in the two seasons he has been gone, Ravenwood has had two different coaches. The stability of the program along with loosing a pretty good feeder program (time for Woodland Middle to step up) can damage any program for multiple years to come. I feel bad for Ravenwood as I am an alumni and helped set the foundation for their 5 year run at the state tournament. 

On top of that, the other programs in the county have really stepped up their game in the last few years. Good to see those teams succeed as they weren't as dominate when I was their. It always goes in cycles (unless you are the exception like Bradley, Cleveland, Soddy, Wilson, etc.)

I agree that switching coaches like ravenwood did (3 coaches in 3 years) is never easy. I also think that the district as a whole is pretty competitive now and all the teams are capable of beating the others. Probably the biggest problem facing many of these teams now is the middle school feeders. When I first moved here about 7 or 8 years ago many of the middle school teams had 40 plus wrestlers and they were all pretty good and competitive with each other. Now many of those schools cant even field a full team at the middle school level which obviously hurts the high school. Too many club sports and other options now and just not enough interest at middle school. I hope it changes.

I agree that switching coaches like ravenwood did (3 coaches in 3 years) is never easy. I also think that the district as a whole is pretty competitive now and all the teams are capable of beating the others. Probably the biggest problem facing many of these teams now is the middle school feeders. When I first moved here about 7 or 8 years ago many of the middle school teams had 40 plus wrestlers and they were all pretty good and competitive with each other. Now many of those schools cant even field a full team at the middle school level which obviously hurts the high school. Too many club sports and other options now and just not enough interest at middle school. I hope it changes.

That's very true. And if the current state of the feeders is any indication of success for the high schools then Summit and Nolensville look to be in great shape. Pete Miller also coaches Spring Station MS, the feeder for Summit, and they won their second straight WMAA title last month.

The results and their HS in ()

Spring Station- 231.5 (Summit)

Mill Creek- 173.5  (Nolensville)

Page- 146  (Page/ Some Centennial)

Heritage- 140   (Independence)

Brentwood- 53  (Brentwood)

Grassland- 28  (Franklin)

Woodland- 25   (Ravenwood)

Freedom- 0   (Centennial)

Sunset- 0   (Was Ravenwood, will be all Nolensville in a few years)