AAA State Duals Predictions!

Bump11

SX1234, you may wanna change your Rd2 winners bracket from WC over Cleveland to WC over Science Hill. Maj may agree with you being spot on with everything but I'm gonna def disagree here.

Yes thank you, I meant Science Hill there not Cleveland.  I was doing too many things at once yesterday, typing that out from my notes and still trying to make it look like I was really doing something productive while at work! lol

OW, they did beat Arlington and Wilson Central so is either of those teams finish third maybe Soddy is the third best team in the state, maybe if the other regions were as tough as region 4 maybe Soddy wouldn't get the votes to be third best team in AAA, but as usual the other regions are still playing catchup and have for the past 20 years, and those OW are the facts!

Yes. There you have it. Like I said we should send them the 3rd place trophy.

Do you think they will also place 3rd at the Individual Tournament?

Yes. There you have it. Like I said we should send them the 3rd place trophy.

Do you think they will also place 3rd at the Individual Tournament?

No easy answer to making sure the best get in. This ( deserving athletes or teams staying home ) happens at every level with almost every sport.  We've seen pro football teams with 9 and 7 records go to the playoffs in football and 11 and 5 teams stay home. I personally would expand the state duals tournament format to include more teams, but there will always be a case where the winner of one region would likely not even place in another. In football and baseball adding wild cards helped but doesn't fully solve the problem. Bumping the number of dual teams to 24 and utilize a 32 man bracket with byes for region winners would solve this year's problems.

Not having D2 & A/AA waters it down too much already.  Including more teams or handing out more trophies is a terrible idea, in my opinion.  It might make sense to place six if we had one division.  I'm not sure the best two teams have ever been shut out of State Duals.  There might be some debate on 3/4 but I think that's the beauty of our current system.  Figure out a way to get in, if not, then you can say shoulda, coulda, woulda all you want but the newspapers don't list your name unless you are there. 

Not having D2 & A/AA waters it down too much already.  Including more teams or handing out more trophies is a terrible idea, in my opinion.  It might make sense to place six if we had one division.  I'm not sure the best two teams have ever been shut out of State Duals.  There might be some debate on 3/4 but I think that's the beauty of our current system.  Figure out a way to get in, if not, then you can say shoulda, coulda, woulda all you want but the newspapers don't list your name unless you are there. 

I don't see any harm in including more teams. The intent should be to grow the sport, and T$$AA could always use the extra dollars more teams bring in. No need to add any more trophies. The cream will rise and the same two teams would likely be in the finals even if you opened it up to every team in the state. The rest of the placers would be a real dog fight.  24 or even 32 teams is not too big a number. What happened in the NCAA when the basketball tourney went from 32 to 64 (8) ? Interest went exponential

don't worry OW, the state duals is watered down as it is since they allow teams from all 8 regions to get in especially those second place teams, so don't worry about it being watered down even more, the state duals should be for the best teams in the state if that's what it is for, not the best 16 teams as long as they fit within these 8 regions 2 from each. I don't care if they don't make the duals any bigger than they are, but really we usually know the two best are in the finals and after that maybe third and fourth cannot be questioned, but considering in past 10 years region 4 has finished 1st AND 2nd four times, usually the third best team it that region very well could be the 3rd best team in the state. Also no region 4 team has finished worse than 4th if my research is correct in the past 18 years, so along with usually placing 1st or 2nd the second team from that area also places in top 4. Rest of the state is catching up for sure, but don't pretend that the state rankings aren't correct just because Soddy or like last year cleveland weren't able to show in the state duals they were the third best team in the state just because there weren't there, pretty sure cleveland could have beaten both wilson central and TN High, although unlike with Arlington this year i cannot find that Cleveland wrestled either last year. But i do know if Arlington was in region 4 this year they wouldnt be going to the duals and you prob would be complaining they were the third best team because they are one of your teams!

There's no denying history. Region 4 has dominated the wrestling scene in Tennessee for the past 25 years but other regions are beginning to make inroads. It won't happen overnight but Wilson Central and Beech have shown over the last few years that they can be contenders. My Tennessee High Vikings and our neighbors in Science Hill have both built great programs that are showing they can contend. The west side of the state is coming. Halls might be the most underrated team this season.

That being said, no one is at the level on a region basis yet as region 4, but I will say it's going to be a mistake to overlook any of these teams because they're not in region 4. I've watched the argument about Soddy this season and Cleveland last season and I will point out that Tennessee High did finish 2nd last year. Bradley and Cleveland will most likely be 1/2 at duals but don't be surprised to see one of these other teams "upset" them at the tournament in 2 weeks.

There's no denying history. Region 4 has dominated the wrestling scene in Tennessee for the past 25 years but other regions are beginning to make inroads. It won't happen overnight but Wilson Central and Beech have shown over the last few years that they can be contenders. My Tennessee High Vikings and our neighbors in Science Hill have both built great programs that are showing they can contend. The west side of the state is coming. Halls might be the most underrated team this season.

That being said, no one is at the level on a region basis yet as region 4, but I will say it's going to be a mistake to overlook any of these teams because they're not in region 4. I've watched the argument about Soddy this season and Cleveland last season and I will point out that Tennessee High did finish 2nd last year. Bradley and Cleveland will most likely be 1/2 at duals but don't be surprised to see one of these other teams "upset" them at the tournament in 2 weeks.

Before the season starter, I said Bradley may not win dual team state, but most likely would win individuals. This team will be super hard to beat in 2 weeks. Seems like our strength are in there individual tourneys. Tennessee High should take 2nd or 3rd this weekend. For sure. Having to give up 6 points in one weight class will hurt against Bradley or Cleveland. Tennessee High is right up there with bradkey, Cleveland and Soddy. Looking forward to seeing them this weekend.

First, a individual tournament win for state tourney is not a real indicator of a teams strength, duals are for that very reason, not even sure except for crap and giggles why they even keep team scores at the individual state tourney, that is for the kids not the team. A Team can have 5 studs on a team win state titles and win the state individual tourney while the other 9 kids cant win even a match doesn't make a tough team. That's why i have never paid any attention to a team race at the individuals, it's called individual tourney for that very reason. When i wrestled coach would throw those plaques in a back room never to see the light of day again, i remember him when they asked us to pose for the second place trophy at individuals my senior year that he up and walked away, same with one that won first, means a whole lot less to i would say most coaches to win the individual but finish 2, 3 or even 4th at the duals, because you are head to head wrestling not wrestling based upon a seed. 

Now Tn High and even Science hill don't usually come down to the region 4 area they usually stay up in their area along with VA which is a very tough wrestling state. So i don't know all that much about them, but I am very glad that the teams from the other regions are catching up as wrestling is my true love in sports and having a very tough wrestling state top to bottom is something i have loved to see come true and that includes Arlington from Reg 8 and we all know Wilson Central with some awesome coaching has hit it big and having good staying power as a top rated program. Right now its a good time to be a fan of Tn wrestling! good luck to all the wrestlers this weekend and for the next 3 weekends!

Edited by cobrakid8

Don't get too carried away in your enthusiasm Viking guy