KINGSTON FOOTBALL MOVING TO 6A?

Jacketsfan2001

We'll the school board approved the new high school being built.all 5 Roane county high schools will be put together. Grades 9-12.enrollment will be around 2,000 kids.I'm not a fan of this.it kills the county rivarlies.and I'm not sure how this will work in sports. Especially football .who would be the coach? I assume there would be try outs because of not there would be around 200 kids playing football..overall not a fan of this.

• 3 weeks later...

It would still be a long bus ride. Using Google maps, it can take between 25-30 minutes from Oliver Springs to Kingston, which is near the center. That doesn't include all the bus stops. Add those in, and kids would be on a bus for an hr or more. Then for Oliver Springs, you have Oak Ridge 10-15 minutes down the road and for Midway about 8-10 minutes further to Loudon than Kingston High School, but depending where the new school is located it could be more even. Than parents would start debating on which school is better for their kids. Oak Ridge would have less students than the new school.

Is this plan set in stone? I would think they could build 2 schools with roughly 1000-1200 in each school with say 1500 capacity. South of I40 school be Midway, Rockwood, and some of South Kingston zone. North of I40 be north Kingston zone, Harriman, and Oliver Springs. Have capacity of 3k with roughly 2k enrolled. This plan could provide for future growth as well as cut down on a one school travel nightmare.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Putting all those schools together would be a mistake of a lifetime for Roan County. Ask anyone from Blount County how they like Heritage and William Blount situation and thee two schools have now operated for 40 and 38 years. They both have many problems and the football programs for both schools has averaged about 30% winning percentage each since conception. To far to drive for most kids so they don't go out for sports because of it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...