Region 7A (Toughest Region in State?)

SuperFan14A

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookout for Greenfield the next 3 years, really unbelievable that they won the district this year. They are only going to get better with the best jr high team in the county moving up. They are already working out for next year on their own.

Where you at 14Asuperfan? These posters that criticize while hiding behind your screen name just kill me.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

I've figured out that if you're going to win a state championship in Single A... you have to have atleast one division 1 player.... the only Single A team coming up with any Div. 1 players is Greenfield - Darby, Moore. The rural area of West TN is behind right now when compared to the rest of the state. Basketball is a year round sport if you have interest in winning state championships.

GC is one of many teams that play year round in West TN. GC has a lot of young talent that could develop into Div. 1 players.

GC is one of many teams that play year round in West TN. GC has a lot of young talent that could develop into Div. 1 players.

No they don't. Not D1 players. GCPioneer is right on this topic. West TN ball is competitive amongst themselves, but behind other areas of the state. To many kids playing every sport possible. GC is way down compared to the "Butler" years, will have even more trouble next year with the loss of Smithson and White. Will still be able to compete with teams in West TN, but not on the same level of playing ability or athleticism as other teams and other areas of TN. Moore and Darby are legit D1 players, even scarier that they will only be soph next yr, but they take advantage of playing real AAU ball and working out year round. Mayberry from Peabody maybe D1, shows flashes at times, can defend, shoot, drive, score and handle ball. Huge difference for a player to be a D1 kid though, gotta have that extra something. It is a year round attitude/work ethic they have to have.

Edited by BABABA

I talked to a few well known talent evaluators in this area and they all told me the same thing: HS coaches only do the bare minimum during basketball season and most players don't take it upon themselves to go workout and play pickup during the summer on weekends with no AAU.

No they don't. Not D1 players. GCPioneer is right on this topic. West TN ball is competitive amongst themselves, but behind other areas of the state. To many kids playing every sport possible. GC is way down compared to the "Butler" years, will have even more trouble next year with the loss of Smithson and White. Will still be able to compete with teams in West TN, but not on the same level of playing ability or athleticism as other teams and other areas of TN. Moore and Darby are legit D1 players, even scarier that they will only be soph next yr, but they take advantage of playing real AAU ball and working out year round. Mayberry from Peabody maybe D1, shows flashes at times, can defend, shoot, drive, score and handle ball. Huge difference for a player to be a D1 kid though, gotta have that extra something. It is a year round attitude/work ethic they have to have.

If you keep up with AAU ball then you know that there are also several other talented girls from the area that play with Darby & Moore on their AAU teams. Do you know any of their teammates? The 2020 class is filled with talent.

I watched the entire single A state tournament and disagree with west tn not being able to compete at the state tournament. Huntingdon would beat Hampton 9 out of 10 times if they played. The stage proved to be too big for the Fillies and some players on Huntingdon's team missed some early shots and then got in their own heads and did not trust their shot. Neither Hampton, Perry County nor Summertown would have made the finals in Region 7 yet all were competitive in the boro. IMO, with the exception of Westview and maybe Middleton, west tn sends different teams to the boro every year and none seem to be able to get control of their nerves. Pickett and SG are the cream of Single A but SG moves to AA next year and Pickett loses a number of key players. West TN teams are closer to competing than you think.

I watched the entire single A state tournament and disagree with west tn not being able to compete at the state tournament. Huntingdon would beat Hampton 9 out of 10 times if they played. The stage proved to be too big for the Fillies and some players on Huntingdon's team missed some early shots and then got in their own heads and did not trust their shot. Neither Hampton, Perry County nor Summertown would have made the finals in Region 7 yet all were competitive in the boro. IMO, with the exception of Westview and maybe Middleton, west tn sends different teams to the boro every year and none seem to be able to get control of their nerves. Pickett and SG are the cream of Single A but SG moves to AA next year and Pickett loses a number of key players. West TN teams are closer to competing than you think.

I agree. Sounded like Dresden made adjustments after the half & limited Summertown to one 3 but just couldn't dig out of the 1st half hole. Not many teams would make 8 three's in a half. Didn't help Dresden losing their star PG early on with an injury either.

Did you know Butler was a D 1 player after her freshman year? I didn't. Breana Fields rarely seen the floor her freshman year. Did you know she was a D 1 player? Did you know the Ready kid or Heather Griffin at GC were D 1 players their freshman year? I didn't. Just saying. Yeah Chloe Moore and Tess Darby are two great players that have developed earlier than most through hard work and athleticism. Michael Jordan got cut his sophomore year of high school. So to just say you guys already know what is going to happen to these freshman players in the next 1-3 years is just an opinion.

I agree. Sounded like Dresden made adjustments after the half & limited Summertown to one 3 but just couldn't dig out of the 1st half hole. Not many teams would make 8 three's in a half. Didn't help Dresden losing their star PG early on with an injury either.

Obviously Summertown still doesn't get any respect.. Dresdens halftime adjustment? Do you think maybe Summertown made an adjustment? Most teams will play differently when you are up 18, why play fast and give the other team more possessions? I saw where someone said "I hope Summertown lives by the 3", well when you shoot it good, you can build a lead quickly, and Summertown built the lead the point guard got hurt.

Your exactly right. Huntingdon was on a bigger stage than their accustomed and didn't handle it well, but they will be back. This was probably one of the weaker A state tournaments I have seen. Clarkrange got a good draw and was not as impressive as some of the other teams I have seen. West TN is filled with young talent and to say that is off base is very inaccurate.