Change of season

Hamblin

I say as soon as the folkstyle state tournament is done it is time to switch!  But that is just me and I prefer the international styles over folkstyle almost any day.

We typically give our guys about a two week break after the season wraps and then start getting back on the mat with a freestyle / greco focus.

However, it will depend a lot on what your program thinks is important... do you have a bunch of kids or coaches that think attending some of the post-season folkstyle events are important?  If so then your folkstyle practices might go on a lot longer.  Look at the tournament dates for some of the "major" folkstyle national tournaments:

USAW - Cedar Falls, IA - 3/31 - 4/2

AAU Elementary Duals - Kingsport, TN - 4/8

AAU middle and Frosh / Soph duals - Des Moines, IA - 4/15

Flonationals - Indiana, PA - 4/15

If you wait until you get through with those then you miss a ton of practice time.  What TWF hopes to been one of their premier events, the Best of the Best Duals, is already on 4/8 and their state tournament is on 4/29.  Are you going to practice those styles for less than a month before you get to state?

It is all about what your program values.  Which, if you ask me,a big component of should be what your kids want.  I know most of our kids can't wait to get into freestyle and Greco-Roman by the time folkstyle season ends.  Our folkstyle season is long and most are ready for a change if they are going to continue wrestling rather than switching to another sport.

I say as soon as the folkstyle state tournament is done it is time to switch!  But that is just me and I prefer the international styles over folkstyle almost any day.

We typically give our guys about a two week break after the season wraps and then start getting back on the mat with a freestyle / greco focus.

However, it will depend a lot on what your program thinks is important... do you have a bunch of kids or coaches that think attending some of the post-season folkstyle events are important?  If so then your folkstyle practices might go on a lot longer.  Look at the tournament dates for some of the "major" folkstyle national tournaments:

USAW - Cedar Falls, IA - 3/31 - 4/2

AAU Elementary Duals - Kingsport, TN - 4/8

AAU middle and Frosh / Soph duals - Des Moines, IA - 4/15

Flonationals - Indiana, PA - 4/15

If you wait until you get through with those then you miss a ton of practice time.  What TWF hopes to been one of their premier events, the Best of the Best Duals, is already on 4/8 and their state tournament is on 4/29.  Are you going to practice those styles for less than a month before you get to state?

It is all about what your program values.  Which, if you ask me,a big component of should be what your kids want.  I know most of our kids can't wait to get into freestyle and Greco-Roman by the time folkstyle season ends.  Our folkstyle season is long and most are ready for a change if they are going to continue wrestling rather than switching to another sport.

Garret the dates for the AAU Middle and 9/10 national duals in Iowa is March 31-April 2nd

2017 AAU Frosh-Soph National Duals

Locations: Des Moines, IA

Mar 31, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

I really don't understand why we choose to continue folkstyle for so long. Most programs start preseason at the latest in September, and we are still competing folkstyle into late April but freestyle and greco compete for one month. Whether your team/club competes in freestyle and greco or not I don't think you can argue the benefits that it has for the wrestlers that are competing in it so why not give them more time to compete in it? I don't know what the answer is and I don't think we will see a change in length of the schedule until we have tremendous growth in participation in the international styles but its a big disservice to the wrestlers that love competing in freestyle and greco that we only let them compete for a month. We wouldn't send our folkstyle wrestlers to the state tournament after just a month of competition so why are we doing that to our freestyle and greco wrestlers? 

I really don't understand why we choose to continue folkstyle for so long. Most programs start preseason at the latest in September, and we are still competing folkstyle into late April but freestyle and greco compete for one month. Whether your team/club competes in freestyle and greco or not I don't think you can argue the benefits that it has for the wrestlers that are competing in it so why not give them more time to compete in it? I don't know what the answer is and I don't think we will see a change in length of the schedule until we have tremendous growth in participation in the international styles but its a big disservice to the wrestlers that love competing in freestyle and greco that we only let them compete for a month. We wouldn't send our folkstyle wrestlers to the state tournament after just a month of competition so why are we doing that to our freestyle and greco wrestlers? 

IMO, the reason for such a short Freestyle/Greco Roman season is because most high school coaches continue to coach the club teams and very few know anything about the international styles of wrestling and probably don't care to spend the time learning a new set of techniques and rules.   Very few of the high school wrestlers that are ranked nationally DO NOT compete in the international styles of wrestling.