Region 2-AAA Tourney

SweetScience

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight was my first trip to Wildcat Arena in Oak Ridge. What an atmosphere! That place can get loud! Two great games between four really good teams. 

Bearden started fast leading 26-13 after the 1st quarter and 36-29 at half. Powell made a run to take the lead early in the 3rd quarter with 11 quick points behind 3 3s. Drew Pember made a layup and free throw to close the 3rd quarter and tie it at 51. Bearden, behind Trent Stephney, was just able to make a few more plays down the stretch to pull this one out 71-65. First time back in the Region Finals for the Bulldogs since the 2011 state runner-up team.

Now to the second game. Oak Ridge came out and played great man to man defense from the opening tip. Maryville was very very patient and took good control of the ball. Hit a few shots in the first half, but were lucky to only be down 23-14 at half. Upchurch hit an incredibly difficult 3 to close the half. Maryville got hot in the 3rd quarter behind Uphchurch and 2 3s from #22. Eldredge had his team prepared and called another set play for Uphchurch who tied it at the 3rd quarter buzzer at 32. Maryville took the lead at one point in the 4th, but went cold from 3 and Oak Ridge was able to make the plays and the free throws down the stretch to get the win. Maryville really handled the press well tonight. Last week at Hardin Valley, they struggled against both West and Bearden. Looked much different tonight.

I tip my hat to Easton Upchurch for Maryville. He had a great high school career and was putting on a show by hitting some big time shots tonight.

Now for Thursday night. The narrative for this game is pretty cool. Oak Ridge, the team in East Tennessee over the past 4-5 years against Bearden, the next team in East Tennessee for the next two years. I'm hoping for a good game and that the atmosphere can match tonight.

16 teams left

Tonight was my first trip to Wildcat Arena in Oak Ridge. What an atmosphere! That place can get loud! Two great games between four really good teams. 

Bearden started fast leading 26-13 after the 1st quarter and 36-29 at half. Powell made a run to take the lead early in the 3rd quarter with 11 quick points behind 3 3s. Drew Pember made a layup and free throw to close the 3rd quarter and tie it at 51. Bearden, behind Trent Stephney, was just able to make a few more plays down the stretch to pull this one out 71-65. First time back in the Region Finals for the Bulldogs since the 2011 state runner-up team.

Now to the second game. Oak Ridge came out and played great man to man defense from the opening tip. Maryville was very very patient and took good control of the ball. Hit a few shots in the first half, but were lucky to only be down 23-14 at half. Upchurch hit an incredibly difficult 3 to close the half. Maryville got hot in the 3rd quarter behind Uphchurch and 2 3s from #22. Eldredge had his team prepared and called another set play for Uphchurch who tied it at the 3rd quarter buzzer at 32. Maryville took the lead at one point in the 4th, but went cold from 3 and Oak Ridge was able to make the plays and the free throws down the stretch to get the win. Maryville really handled the press well tonight. Last week at Hardin Valley, they struggled against both West and Bearden. Looked much different tonight.

I tip my hat to Easton Upchurch for Maryville. He had a great high school career and was putting on a show by hitting some big time shots tonight.

Now for Thursday night. The narrative for this game is pretty cool. Oak Ridge, the team in East Tennessee over the past 4-5 years against Bearden, the next team in East Tennessee for the next two years. I'm hoping for a good game and that the atmosphere can match tonight.

16 teams left

Upchurch had a great game. The whole Maryville team did. They played good ball control offense, played good defense, and didn't get sucked into a run and gun game with us like most teams do. They knew that was their only chance of winning, and they stuck to it. Very well coached team. If you have good guard play, play good defense, and don't turn the ball over (which they didn't do much at all) you can have a good chance against us, but it takes really good guard play to be able to take care of the ball, which they did. With that said, I gotta give us credit too. They took us out of our game, and Tajion Jones (our main scorer throughout the year) had a terrible gme and I don't think hit one 3. I think we hit 2 three pointers all night. For us to still hold on and win after a bad shooting night and playing Maryville at their own game and still beating them is a sign that we're a pretty darn good team. I knew we would be faced with an off shooting night, I just hoped that we could overcome that adversity, and our guys stuck it out, so I have to give them credit. Great game all around. Looking forward to Thursday night. Should be another stiff test for us with a great Bearden team.

Big game by Herbert needed that spark, Big game for Shequan as well in my opinion they should've ran more plays for him once they seen Taijon was off that's just how the game plays out sometimes .. big 3 by levert you could tell he wanted that shot if y'all remember he hit a big 3 like that against blackman earlier in the season need a player like that.

Big game by Herbert needed that spark, Big game for Shequan as well in my opinion they should've ran more plays for him once they seen Taijon was off that's just how the game plays out sometimes .. big 3 by levert you could tell he wanted that shot if y'all remember he hit a big 3 like that against blackman earlier in the season need a player like that.

That shot by Levert was HUGE. They had just hit one, and bang he came back and hit one right back on them. That and the mid-range shot from the side by Shequan, as well as his steal and clutch free throws won us the game. Glad you mentioned Booker too. He has a lot of composure for a Sophomore. I look for big things from him in the future. I think Tee holding TD Blackmon to 1-7 shooting from the field and only 2 points was huge as well. It was a great defensive effort by him, and as always he came up big on the boards. Upchurch was unconscious there for awhile. That kid sure can play. I also have to mention Maryville's Frosh PG Joe Anderson too. That kid is a baller, and an excellent ball handler. I understand he should be a Sophomore, but still he has uncanny ability for his age. The Rebels are in good hands with him @ the point for the next few years.

Edited by SweetScience