Springfield at Gallatin Week 1

JacketLover

5 hours ago, delusional32 said:

I would have to agree Gallatin had some penalty issues that hurt them in multiple drives on offense and  stops on defense.

Yes, those type things have to be addressed.  Scrimmages are supposed to make you better and with Gallatin mass substituting in every series, I know they are looking for depth and who will step up.  They did not open up the playbook and I do not think Franklin Co did either. That first defensive series is what I expect Gallatin to look like most of the year.  

Game week is here!! Hard to really say a lot without either team having played a meaningful snap yet. The Jackets played a lot of players in their jamboree. The first string defense looked good, but with the amount of starters returning this was to be expected. Cannot wait for Friday to get here! 

The JV game scheduled for August 21 between Springfield and Gallatin has been canceled by the way. 

38 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

Game week is here!! Hard to really say a lot without either team having played a meaningful snap yet. The Jackets played a lot of players in their jamboree. The first string defense looked good, but with the amount of starters returning this was to be expected. Cannot wait for Friday to get here! 

The JV game scheduled for August 21 between Springfield and Gallatin has been canceled by the way. 

Why was it cancelled?  

Hopefully we can get some good back and forth going this week to keep it interesting.  

1 hour ago, JacketLover said:

Due to both schools being out that day and then the eclipse and the unknown traffic factors between here and there I think were the main reasons  

Ahh.  That makes since, I forget about the eclipse happening.  

So when did Springfield first become a high school?  I read where they moved out of downtown in 1925. 

How  is the Springfield kicking game this year?  

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

Ahh.  That makes since, I forget about the eclipse happening.  

So when did Springfield first become a high school?  I read where they moved out of downtown in 1925. 

How  is the Springfield kicking game this year?  

We moved from the old high school which is now the middle school and where Boyce Smith Field is to the current high school in the fall of 1981. 

The kicking game will feature the same punter but a new place kicker. I haven't seen a lot of him so I don't know how he will do. 

9 hours ago, JacketLover said:

We moved from the old high school which is now the middle school and where Boyce Smith Field is to the current high school in the fall of 1981. 

The kicking game will feature the same punter but a new place kicker. I haven't seen a lot of him so I don't know how he will do. 

I was talking about before 1925.  Gallatin was established in 1914.  Just curious as to whom had been around longer. I guess that is a question for Leon.  Not that it matters.   

We have a new punter, a new placekicker whom should see some time and the placekicker from last year.  They both have kicked off and hit fieldgoals in the scrimmages.  

On August 15, 2017 at 6:51 AM, GWAVE1 said:

I was talking about before 1925.  Gallatin was established in 1914.  Just curious as to whom had been around longer. I guess that is a question for Leon.  Not that it matters.   

We have a new punter, a new placekicker whom should see some time and the placekicker from last year.  They both have kicked off and hit fieldgoals in the scrimmages.  

SHS was originally in the downtown area where the Center is now located . The date it opened ? Someone else will have to dig into that , football however started in 1911 and the team played at Peoples-Tucker School ,a private prep school , that closed and became SHS in 1925.In 1936 that building burned and SHS moved back to the Main St. Location until the new school was constructed and opened in 1939 (the present location of SMS and Boyce Smith Field ). SHS moved to its present location in the fall of 1981. 

The Springfield -Gallatin rivalry started in 1926 , with SHS winning , no score indicated , they did not play again until 1928 when a young coach from Mississippi Boyce Smith arrived at SHS. The two teams played until 1942. They resumed playing each other in 1944 , but the series stopped then and didnt start again until 1952 and continued yearly until 1988. In 2001 the series resumed until 2004 . In 2011 the two teams started playing again and it has been a yearly fixture since then. The Boyce Smith era was dominated by the Jackets . The Jim Barron led Wave got a win in 1968 that turned the series in the Waves favor until his last season as HC in 1975 when Jimbo Pearson got a win over Gallatin ,sadly he died in the spring of 1976. Calvin Short arrived in 1976 at Gallatin and dominated the series , the Jackets did get two upset wins against the Wave in 1980 and 1981, the latter a 9AAA district championship, Jerry Pearson (Jimbo's older brother) was SHS coach then.The Wave has only lost twice to the Jackets since then , in 2014 SHS won in the regular season and in the playoffs. It's an old rivalry that I really enjoy and hope continues.