Springfield at Gallatin Week 1

JacketLover

8 minutes ago, LEON said:

The Springfield -Gallatin rivalry started in 1926 , with SHS winning , no score indicated , they did not play again until 1928 when a young coach from Mississippi Boyce Smith arrived at SHS. The two teams played until 1942. They resumed playing each other in 1944 , but the series stopped then and didnt start again until 1952 and continued yearly until 1988. In 2001 the series resumed until 2004 . In 2011 the two teams started playing again and it has been a yearly fixture since then. The Boyce Smith era was dominated by the Jackets . The Jim Barron led Wave got a win in 1968 that turned the series in the Waves favor until his last season as HC in 1975 when Jimbo Pearson got a win over Gallatin ,sadly he died in the spring of 1976. Calvin Short arrived in 1976 at Gallatin and dominated the series , the Jackets did get two upset wins against the Wave in 1980 and 1981, the latter a 9AAA district championship, Jerry Pearson (Jimbo's older brother) was SHS coach then.The Wave has only lost twice to the Jackets since then , in 2014 SHS won in the regular season and in the playoffs. It's an old rivalry that I really enjoy and hope continues. 

Springfield won in 26' but what about 28' and 29'?  Gallatin did not field a football team until 1917 so you have a few years on us over here in Sumner Co.  Springfield had a really good team in 2014.  Really thought they would get some payback in the playoffs.  Thanks for the info.  I really enjoy these old long standing rivalries, glad it is continued as well.  

44 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Springfield won in 26' but what about 28' and 29'?  Gallatin did not field a football team until 1917 so you have a few years on us over here in Sumner Co.  Springfield had a really good team in 2014.  Really thought they would get some payback in the playoffs.  Thanks for the info.  I really enjoy these old long standing rivalries, glad it is continued as well.  

SHS won in 28 '& 29'. Boyce Smith was 26-8-2-against Gallatin his final season 1971. The other wins came in 1926 ,1975,1980,1981,2014 twice for Springfield. By my unofficial records the series is tied 32-32-2. I believe the 1928 till present to be accurate ,the 1927 season was incomplete having listed a record of 1-4-1 with the lone SHS win coming against Clarksville and defeats to Franklin,Ky. , Nash. Central,Murfreesbro , Peabody(Nashville) and a tie to Elkton, Ky.  Calvin Short was 12-2 against SHS. I don't know when Jim Barron became coach at GHS , but I believe he was HC in the 1968 victory when Gallatin reversed the trend in the series , I believe Gene Windham was HC before him. That's all I have lets look forward to the season opener.

3 hours ago, LEON said:

SHS won in 28 '& 29'. Boyce Smith was 26-8-2-against Gallatin his final season 1971. The other wins came in 1926 ,1975,1980,1981,2014 twice for Springfield. By my unofficial records the series is tied 32-32-2. I believe the 1928 till present to be accurate ,the 1927 season was incomplete having listed a record of 1-4-1 with the lone SHS win coming against Clarksville and defeats to Franklin,Ky. , Nash. Central,Murfreesbro , Peabody(Nashville) and a tie to Elkton, Ky.  Calvin Short was 12-2 against SHS. I don't know when Jim Barron became coach at GHS , but I believe he was HC in the 1968 victory when Gallatin reversed the trend in the series , I believe Gene Windham was HC before him. That's all I have lets look forward to the season opener.

Barron was HC from 66'to 75'.  Thanks for the info!!  68 games wow!!