Dobyns Bennett - Greeneville game video

BVDevil

8 hours ago, DevilMan03 said:

At the end of the day the Better team won Friday night and Db fans just want to make an excuse 

Your right,when the game is over,the better team on that given night has the most points and last week it was the Devils.That's really all that counts when you look back at wins and losses.If a frog had wings or DB would have done this or that is all the same.

14 hours ago, DevilMan03 said:

At the end of the day the Better team won Friday night and Db fans just want to make an excuse 

They were "better" in that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot all night like DB did.  But they certainly weren't "better" in the physical or athletic sense, as DB had no problem moving the ball on them and outgained them by over 100 yards.  DB didn't deserve to win, and talking about one particular call is curiosity, not excuse-making.

32 minutes ago, Tribal said:

They were "better" in that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot all night like DB did.  But they certainly weren't "better" in the physical or athletic sense, as DB had no problem moving the ball on them and outgained them by over 100 yards.  DB didn't deserve to win, and talking about one particular call is curiosity, not excuse-making.

Thats part of the game Tribal.  DB was undisciplined with so many personal Fouls.  Greeneville forced the 2 INT's one with a tip ball at the line of scrimmage and the other with pressure coming off the end and forcing a fast throw that was short armed that our strong safety picked off.  You did out gain us 422 yards to 300 yards. (70 of those yards came in prevent D with the last 2 plays being up 35 to 21).  Yes you were more physical in the first half but what really surprised me was how the Devils still looked fresh in the 4th with so many Devils going both ways and DB looked tired. (shouldn't have been that way with 2,200 students compared to 900).  The Devils wanted it more.  What would be really scary is what the Greene Devil coaching staff could do with that massive line and athletes yall have

43 minutes ago, Tribal said:

No question that DB has the athletes .Only one other school in this part of the state that can match the number of athletes DB has.There are also enough athletes that won't play football walking around the halls every year that could compete and beat most teams in this area  .Athletes have never been the problem.It's getting them out for football and "finishing" the job .

Agree with both of you guys.  Penalties and turnovers are certainly part of the game, which is what I was saying--DB did very poorly at that part of the game (with credit due to GHS for some of it) and paid the price for it.  It's just more frustrating to lose a game (or at least lose an opportunity to win) like that than to be overmatched physically or athletically.  You have essentially no chance in the latter situation and can't feel too bad, but if you have enough talent to win and don't, it's hard to deal with.

1 hour ago, Tribal said:

Agree with both of you guys.  Penalties and turnovers are certainly part of the game, which is what I was saying--DB did very poorly at that part of the game (with credit due to GHS for some of it) and paid the price for it.  It's just more frustrating to lose a game (or at least lose an opportunity to win) like that than to be overmatched physically or athletically.  You have essentially no chance in the latter situation and can't feel too bad, but if you have enough talent to win and don't, it's hard to deal with.

Yes ,it's hard to deal with.I've seen plenty of playoff games that I thought could have went DB's way and didn't.Remember,this was just the first game and not the playoffs.DB will get better from  that game.Greeneville set the bar for DB on how to take a punch and keep fighting.There are some very talented 6A teams and DB is going to have to get ready.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:00 PM, Pudding said:

This is no excuse.  They are paid to get it right, and there are plenty of scrimmage opportunities for the zebras to knock off the rust.  

good point.....looking back on the play, what i remember happening was that the DB DB never turned around to make a play on the ball which is probably what swung the pendulum Greenevilles way on that play. The pass was  a bit under thrown, but our guy was in position to have caught the ball, had the DB DB not been in is path, which is why i think it was called the way it was called. Im as guilty as anyone else of blaming officials from time to time but i honestly beleive the calls pretty much always even out over the course of a game. Unfortunately, only the controversial ones at  critical times get all the attention. Regardless of whether it was a good or bad call, it doesnt change the fact that DB had plenty of other opportunities to put the game in dire straights for the Devils in the first half, but they turned it over. Its football. Someones gotta win, someones gotta lose. i would trade this win, for the central loss last year any day

On 8/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, Pudding said:

BVD, best to stick with your commentary as a fan, or like a color analyst.  You do a good job of that from your perspective.  You may want to avoid talking about rules, however  I have do idea if the play in question was DPI or OPI, because I didn't see it.  But saying someone got in someones way and "that's the rule", is way off.

my apologies pudding. I forgot that my videos are so crucial in determining whether a play was called correctly or not, I will try in the future not to pretend to know the exact definition or wording of every rule in the game. That said my good sir, I must ask any potential rules expert that might be reading this, to dispute whether or not a DB " getting in the way of the receiver " is actually technically WAY off, or just partially inaccurate according to the exact wording of the rule, because technically, in order for a DB to "interfere" with a WR, he would assumably almost HAVE TO " get in the way "....OK, that was my smug, smart allic reply to your post, now here's how the BVD that most people know would reply.........You're right, technically, the way i worded that was not correctly stated as according to the way the rule is written in the book.  However, the DB DB did in fact get in the way of our WR and the refs did in fact call it PI, therefor  I beleive i win....LOL....seriously bud, thanks for the kind words on me doing a good job from my perspective. At the end of the day, I do this for fun and for the enjoyment of the Greene Devil kids, parents, coache and anyone else, DEVIL OR NOT, that enjoys them. Beleive it or not, the Greene Devils now actually have a pretty decent amount of fans from outside the state of tennessee and atleast 3 that i know of that live outside the country as a result of these videos which now enter their 9th year on youtube. I hope i can include you as well pudding to that list because i have certainly enjoyed reading alot of  your posts on here over the years. Good day sir and best of luck to you in the future and God Bless the DEVILS

In watching the play live and numerous times since, it is pretty clear that the DB defensive back was face guarding Greeneville 's receiver, and that is why the penalty was called.  I understand people are upset because the contact made by the defensive back was minimal, but face guarding without contact is a penalty at the high school level.  Rule 7-5-10-b, page 62 of the National Federation of State High School Associations reads:  “Any player who hinders an opponent’s vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made … is forward pass interference.”

In other words, a high school defender must make a play on the ball – or at least be looking back at the ball – and not just throw his hands up and attempt to get in the way.  That is exactly what the DB cornerback did; he never looked back to attempt to make a play on the ball, but rather, put his hands up with his back to the QB.

While there might have been missed penalties in that game, this alleged pass interference was not one of them.

1 hour ago, DeeJay32 said:

In watching the play live and numerous times since, it is pretty clear that the DB defensive back was face guarding Greeneville 's receiver, and that is why the penalty was called.  I understand people are upset because the contact made by the defensive back was minimal, but face guarding without contact is a penalty at the high school level.  Rule 7-5-10-b, page 62 of the National Federation of State High School Associations reads:  “Any player who hinders an opponent’s vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made … is forward pass interference.”

In other words, a high school defender must make a play on the ball – or at least be looking back at the ball – and not just throw his hands up and attempt to get in the way.  That is exactly what the DB cornerback did; he never looked back to attempt to make a play on the ball, but rather, put his hands up with his back to the QB.

While there might have been missed penalties in that game, this alleged pass interference was not one of them.

Most  refs do as fair and good a job as they can.Every now and then you see guys that should not be out there for one reason or another.All of them  will miss calls, even in the NFL,because nobody is perfect.

For God's sake people let it go. Greeneville won the game fair and square. Lucky this wasn't a five quarter game lol.  It's time for DB fans to realize we're not a state power anymore. We're a middle of the road team at best and that's probably the way it's going to be for a very long time. We just got our hat handed to us by a 4A school with less than half the enrollment. DB's band is half the size of Greeneville. Better get used to loosing and at least do it with some class.

• Upvote 1