• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

TeeterTot

New club team

I tend to agree with TT.  Nothing worse then getting destroyed at big tournaments.   but if you are competitive, then ok, play open.     The problem is recruiting.  If you have an average to below average team, but let's say with a couple of high level recruits--they need to be in open for that.   Even though most talent finds it's way out I think.  as usual I could be wrong on that too.    

I am not really comfortable knowing the differences.   I agree being able to count on Orlando is a good draw.  And they get recruited very well too. 

16 hours ago, clifford20 said:

Nothing worse then getting destroyed at big tournaments

Been thinking about this competitiveness question. That is, do you go to big events (Bluegrass, Qualifiers, Nationals, AAU Championships) in order to potentially win the event? Or compete against matched competition, knowing you are probably going to win as many as you lose?

The easy cases are on the extreme ends of the spectrum. As clifford and TT point out, nobody is getting any better losing (or winning) by blowout margins. If your team's point ratio for a given event is in the .6 range or lower (meaning, you consistently scored 15 points or less in your games), you were probably in over your head. On the other extreme, if you are one of the top 20 or 50 teams in the country, you need to be entering these tournaments with the goal to win the most competitive division. 

But what about the large space between those endpoints? After thinking about this a couple of days, I've decided the bar for me is: CAN you finish top half in a given field? If yes, you're playing in the right division.

Let's take a case in point: should the Alliance 15-1 team have played Open at Big South? 15O was a tough, tough field: 9 teams entered the event with a bid already in hand, and 3 more teams left with Open bids. Alliance finished 26th out of 32, so on first glance, you'd say they shouldn't played that field. But they were seeded 28th, and their fate was sealed on the first day when they lost 15-12 in the third to a team that ended up finishing 10th overall (and had previously qualified at the 15 USA level).

They were ThatClose to locking in a top half finish. So in retrospect... yes, playing Open was appropriate for them.

It's ironic you used the Alliance 15-1 team has an example as that team two years ago (13-1) was the only 1 team that I'm aware of in Alliance history that did not play in the Open division at Nationals.  They played in the next division down and still did not perform well.  

I think most 1's teams should play open.  But now with the spreading of talent in middle Tennessee, i'm just not sure.  I think many times the director or the coach would like to consider not playing open, but I think a good bit of parents would be angry about it.  Especially 14 and up.  I agree with Osage on the 15 threshold--good barometer. if you can't score 15--way over head. As long as the teams compete... I am good with it.  only about 4-5 teams are actually competing to win those open tournaments anyway--maybe less. 

1 hour ago, TeeterTot said:

It's ironic you used the Alliance 15-1 team has an example as that team two years ago (13-1) was the only 1 team that I'm aware of in Alliance history that did not play in the Open division at Nationals.  They played in the next division down and still did not perform well.  

Had no idea. In which case, props to them for their improvement!

I hadn't looked at that field in a long time. As good as it is, seems a bit diluted from when I saw it last time. Wasn't A5 supposed to be there? Also, looks like some of the higher ranked 18's teams pulled out. Alliance 18's are not in the field, either.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

On 4/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, SummaryJudgment said:

The Alliance 181s have completed their schedule. Season is over. 

Not quite SJ.  The major part of their schedule is over.  They play 2 local tournaments in May and June.

Time to kick the dust off this thread... TT, I looked for an AAU schedule for you guys, couldn't find it. Am I missing it, or not out yet?

Also, are the Alliance / TPV 18's teams done?

20 hours ago, Osage said:

Time to kick the dust off this thread... TT, I looked for an AAU schedule for you guys, couldn't find it. Am I missing it, or not out yet?

Also, are the Alliance / TPV 18's teams done?

Dusting it off now.......the 16's are the second week so I don't think it's out yet.  Realistic goal I feel is a gold round finish.  With any luck on the draw and if the girls play to their potential, I think thats a fair ask.