The Trojans of Soddy Daisy gallop into The Ridge...1st round 5A playoffs

SweetScience

1 hour ago, catswild said:

If anyone needed a reason to consider the AP Poll to be irrelevant, then you need only look at the latest poll. Oak Ridge, after beating Fulton 21-12, is ranked 5th, just BEHIND Fulton, who is ranked 4th.  Both have identical 8-2 records, and OR has played a tougher schedule.  The polls don't really mean much since we have the playoffs, but this latest poll shows just how stupid and ill informed those who vote in this poll, truly are!

Most of the sports writers that vote in this pole don't even see the games of the teams they are ranking.  It means absolutely nothing.  Good thing we can settle it on the field.  It's a tournament sport, survive and advance, like it should be.

Is it Friday yet?

I hope that Oak Ridge comes out in numbers for Friday's game. Rhea County folks started sitting on our side when they came to town a few years ago during the playoffs because their side was full. Let's not give the Soddy Daisy folks anywhere to sit on our side of the field this Friday!

#fillblankenship

Edited by jeffyt
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jeffyt said:

Is it Friday yet?

I hope that Oak Ridge comes out in numbers for Friday's game. Rhea County folks started sitting on our side when they came to town a few years ago during the playoffs because their side was full. Let's not give the Soddy Daisy folks anywhere to sit on our side of the field this Friday!

#fillblankenship

Soddy Daisy fans don't travel as well as Rhea County fans do.   They might surprise me but while they brought a good crowd to Evensville for the game with Rhea - it wasn't enough to cause you all concern. 

On 10/31/2017 at 7:34 AM, WilleTheWildcat said:

Last four games of the regular season SD has allowed 125 points. The nasty Cats have given up 28 in the last four games.

Comparison of teams may help.  SD played teams that typically score points including Walker Valley that is very good at scoring but has no defense.   OR had Clinton and Karns that doesn't seem to score much on any team that is relatively good. 

That is not meant to diminish the OR defense - just that sometimes the numbers speak more to who the opponents were more than anything else. 

I will say, SD can score quickly.  You will want to get ahead by at least 2 scores and maintain that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNVolFan2000 said:

Comparison of teams may help.  SD played teams that typically score points including Walker Valley that is very good at scoring but has no defense.   OR had Clinton and Karns that doesn't seem to score much on any team that is relatively good. 

That is not meant to diminish the OR defense - just that sometimes the numbers speak more to who the opponents were more than anything else. 

I will say, SD can score quickly.  You will want to get ahead by at least 2 scores and maintain that.

Excellent post TNVolFan2000. +1

Now that I'm back in the area with my family, I'm looking forward to some high school football. It was down to watching Cleveland @ Farragut and Soddy @ Oak Ridge. I'm heading up to watch my first ever football game at Oak Ridge. Looking forward to what should be a great atmosphere from what I've heard. If it's anything like the few basketball games I've been to, it should be a dandy. Anything good on the concession stand list that I should try?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Excellent post TNVolFan2000. +1

WILDCAT WILLIE Y'ALL GOT A DEFENSE AT OR AND IF NOT SODDY GONE LET IT FLY. THEY TOOK MY OWLS TO THE WOODSHED AFTER A FEW INJURIES TO SOME KEY PLAYERS DURING THE GAME. THEIR RUN GAME AIN'T SHABBY EITHER. THEY WERE GROUNDING AND POUNDING THE BEARZ BEFORE THE  RB INJURY. SO YOU GOT DOUBLE TROUBLE. YOUR GROUND GAME COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE. GOOD LUCK:thumb:

#LOP

11 minutes ago, TNVolFan2000 said:

While we did play Clinton  and Karns, we also played 3 6A teams, Hardin Valley, Farragut, and Dobyns-Bennett.  We also played # 2 ranked Fulton.  Fulton averages 36 a game and they got 6 offensive points on us.  I don't think anybody will score too quickly against our defense right now.  I may be wrong, but I just don't see it.  

1 minute ago, atrisk said:

Eat at Ed's before the game then maybe a chill dog at the game.

Appreciate that. I went to the OR @ DB game when I was visiting family earlier in the season in Kingsport and OR looks as athletic as all get out. At first glance, I'd have the Wildcats rolling in this one, but when you look at the scores, Soddy obviously has an explosive ball team, that has had success against quality teams. Should be an interesting one.

35 minutes ago, PassiveAggressive said:

WILDCAT WILLIE Y'ALL GOT A DEFENSE AT OR AND IF NOT SODDY GONE LET IT FLY. THEY TOOK MY OWLS TO THE WOODSHED AFTER A FEW INJURIES TO SOME KEY PLAYERS DURING THE GAME. THEIR RUN GAME AIN'T SHABBY EITHER. THEY WERE GROUNDING AND POUNDING THE BEARZ BEFORE THE  RB INJURY. SO YOU GOT DOUBLE TROUBLE. YOUR GROUND GAME COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE. GOOD LUCK:thumb:

#LOP

Good to hear from ya PA. The Wildcat defense has been getting better and better all season long with one exception (Farragut). We played fantastic last week against a very dangerous Fulton offense. I am not sure if our DBs have been tested like they will be this Friday, but we can put pressure on the QB and force him to throw it before he wants to.