Z plan playoffs

Indian

2 minutes ago, CastIronHero said:

Football is played to win, and when you start placing teams in the playoffs due to location, instead of success, it waters down the competition and makes for bad football games.

We need to start rewarding teams for winning football games, and if they just so happen to choose a weak schedule to get a better seeding in the playoffs they will be weeded out by the good football teams come playoff time.

It's a joke in my opinion let the highest seeds have the bye and home field advantage they won all their games and deserve that. Period. This playoff system is watered down and a joke.

Florida is in their first year of using playoff points, modeled off of Nebraska's playoff system. Here is a link to how it works. 

https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2017-18/master_football_wildcard_points.pdf

Class 1A: I just put them 1-32 to lessen the chance of leaving any out. All but 4, .500 or better. Only one in from Region 1.

Quad 1:
3-Greenback, 9-1, Region 2
4-Coalfield, 9-1, Region 2
15-Cloudland, 8-2, Region 1
16-Oliver Springs, 4-6, Region 2
22-Harriman, 3-7, Region 2
24-Midway, 5-5, Region 2
31-Sunbright, 5-5, Region 2
32-Lookout Valley, 5-5, Region 3

Quad 2:
2-South Pittsburg, 10-0, Region 3
5-Whitwell, 9-1, Region 3
13-Moore County, 7-3, Region 5
17-Byrns, 8-2, Region 4
18-Gordonsville, 6-4, Region 4
23-Clay County, 6-4, Region 4
25-Monterey, 6-4, Region 4
29-Huntland, 2-8, Region 5

Quad 3:
1-Huntingdon, 10-0, Region 6
6-Cornersville, 9-1, Region 5
8-Mt. Pleasant, 7-3, Region 5
9-Fayetteville, 6-4, Region 5
10-Wayne County, 7-3, Region 6
12-Franklin Grace, 5-4, Region 5
21-Collinwood, 6-4, Region 6
30-McEwen, 5-5, Region 6

Quad 4:
7-Dresden, 9-1, Region 7
11-Lake County, 192, 8-2, Region 7
14-Westwood, 8-2, Region 8
19-Memphis Hillcrest, 5-4, Region 8
20-Bruceton, 6-4, Region 6
26-Memphis Freedom Prep, 5-4, Region 8
27-Memphis Middle College, 4-6, Region 8
28-South Fulton, 6-4, Region 7

I personally liked the Z plan, but it needed some tweaks. For instance, when you had a 10-0 team that played a horrible schedule as compared to a 9-2 team that played a legit schedule.. something needed to change. All those years SP was having to play 3,4, and even a weaker 6A team because no one would play. Then you had other teams playing all 1-2A teams in the regular season. It just wasn't fair to go entirely on wins and losses when teams had a huge difference in schedule strength. I hate that a 1-9 or 2-8 teams get in the playoffs just because they are in a region with only 4-5 teams. 

There were a ton of flaws with that plan also.  Region winners and runner ups got automatic bids.  1A and 2A both played each other from the same region then split off for post season.   Sometimes you may have a "district" as we called them at the time with 5 2A teams and only one 1A team.    It was a much more complicated system which also yielded 1-9 or 2-8 playoff teams and also left out some 6-4 and some instances 7-3 teams.  

You also had no clue who you would be playing until Saturday morning at 11 AM.  Therefore no early scouting.   The current plan is much better because you know EXACTLY what you have to do in week one to qualify for the post season.   YOU have to finish in the top four of your region.   IT's that simple.   If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in the post season.  

The biggest problem with the system is the eight regions should of been split equally.   If more travel is involved, then so be it.   That's the only way to make if fair.   A four or five team region has no business getting the same amount of post season qualifiers as an 8 team region.   That is the real issue, folks.

Edited by FreeAgent11

2 minutes ago, FreeAgent11 said:

There were a ton of flaws with that plan also.  Region winners and runner ups got automatic bids.  1A and 2A both played each other from the same region then split off for post season.   Sometimes you may have a "district" as we called them at the time with 5 2A teams and only one 1A team.    It was a much more complicated system which also yielded 1-9 or 2-8 playoff teams and also left out some 6-4 and some instances 7-3 teams.  

You also had no clue who you would be playing until Saturday morning at 11 AM.  Therefore no early scouting.   The current plan is much better because you know EXACTLY what you have to do in week one to qualify for the post season.   YOU have to finish in the top four of your region.   IT's that simple.   If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in the post season.  

The biggest problem with the system is the eight regions should of been split equally.   If more travel is involved, then so be it.   That's the only way to make if fair.   A four or five team region has no business getting the same amount of post season qualifiers as an 8 team region.   That is the real issue, folks.

I totally agree with you 100%. When we were trying to figure out how all of this would come out early last year I had several other teams shifted from the west to the east and it trickled all the way to east TN. For instance, the SP region consisted of teams like Huntland, Moore Co, and Fayetteville, while Copper Basin was shifted to region 2. It would have been much more fair that way IMO. 

1 minute ago, TheAmbassador said:

I totally agree with you 100%. When we were trying to figure out how all of this would come out early last year I had several other teams shifted from the west to the east and it trickled all the way to east TN. For instance, the SP region consisted of teams like Huntland, Moore Co, and Fayetteville, while Copper Basin was shifted to region 2. It would have been much more fair that way IMO. 

ONLY fair way to do it is even the regions up no matter the cost.   When you have 4 team regions then somebody like Mt. Pleasant is gonna get the shaft!

I like the way the playoffs are set up the way we have them.  Top 4 in each region.  The games that matter most are the ones the TSSAA says you HAVE to play.  It also makes for better out of region matchups.  Games you might never or hardly ever see can be scheduled.  Maryville played Oakland.  Huntingdon had Waverly and Milan.  SP played 3 DII schools ( can't help that their records turned out badly )   Jasper played Rhea County and Coalfield. Whitwell had Trousdale and Signal.   Point is, you can schedule anyone you want to now. No excuses.  Take care of business inside your own region and you are in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Southtowner said:

I like the way the playoffs are set up the way we have them.  Top 4 in each region.  The games that matter most are the ones the TSSAA says you HAVE to play.  It also makes for better out of region matchups.  Games you might never or hardly ever see can be scheduled.  Maryville played Oakland.  Huntingdon had Waverly and Milan.  SP played 3 DII schools ( can't help that their records turned out badly )   Jasper played Rhea County and Coalfield. Whitwell had Trousdale and Signal.   Point is, you can schedule anyone you want to now. No excuses.  Take care of business inside your own region and you are in.

That's a good point as well. I just think they should have shifted things east more. That way the total number of teams in the east and west is within 1 team of one another. If they did that then we wouldn't have these regions with 4 or 5 teams in the east. Regions should have a minimum of 6 teams and that would have been so much more fairer to everyone. 

2 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

That's a good point as well. I just think they should have shifted things east more. That way the total number of teams in the east and west is within 1 team of one another. If they did that then we wouldn't have these regions with 4 or 5 teams in the east. Regions should have a minimum of 6 teams and that would have been so much more fairer to everyone. 

I understand.  The west has more schools the way the regions break down.  I don't think you should move a school or two to even things out and put the load on the 2 that you did move.  Teams are geographically located and should be assembled that way for natural region rivalries.  Just my opinion.  32 are making the playoffs and we still find something to complain about.