2017-2018 AA Top Teams

ballinup90

11 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

The part of tournament time that is hard to account for is match ups. That's the key. When MLK won the championship three years ago did anyone outside of metro pick them. I doubt it. The year EN won everyone was picking Elizabethton who got knocked out the first round by Westview. Last year few probably picked PC to make it to the championship game. Who is to say it the first round upperman is against CC and Westview against SG. Its too hard to say what will happen and who the draws will be. Teams not mentioned that could win a game are Cheatham County and whomever comes out of 10AA.

Agree.  This time of year anybody can go on a run.   What happened last week or early in the year is irrelevant.  From here, the next game is the only one that matters. 

Got to love this time of year. As far as how long players play, every coach is different. Some will pull starters earlier to rest them and give others a chance to play. Some might keep a couple key players in and then sub the rest to get the younger players experience with the those key pieces. And some will keep starters in to pad stats. I saw one coach keep all the starters in just to work on ball control. The players had to make ten passes before anyone could shoot.

4 hours ago, ElizabethGrace1320 said:

Yes! That foul in the second quarter was what won the game for Upperman.  I would rather my player take a high five from an official than say she can “take” the other girls nominated for Miss Basketball! That speaks volumes about her attitude. 

I've been trying to make sense of this statement. You're saying the girl from York was teed up because she said she could take levy?   Because there is nothing in the newspaper about that game. And that newspaper came out the day before the game. If anybody else knows what she's taking about, let us all know

7 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

I've been trying to make sense of this statement. You're saying the girl from York was teed up because she said she could take levy?   Because there is nothing in the newspaper about that game. And that newspaper came out the day before the game. If anybody else knows what she's taking about, let us all know

The way that I took it was she was saying  "yeah the foul is in the second quarter is what won the game for upperman" very sarcastically. Saying that that call wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. Then I think she was saying that she would rather Levy high five an official than to say remarks like "I can take the other nominees if I played them." Which I believe she is referring to that because that is what Cumberland's player said in an interview in the newspaper about being  a Miss Basketball Finalist. Think she was talking about two different things I think. 

6 minutes ago, EastTNfan20 said:

The way that I took it was she was saying  "yeah the foul is in the second quarter is what won the game for upperman" very sarcastically. Saying that that call wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. Then I think she was saying that she would rather Levy high five an official than to say remarks like "I can take the other nominees if I played them." Which I believe she is referring to that because that is what Cumberland's player said in an interview in the newspaper about being  a Miss Basketball Finalist. Think she was talking about two different things I think. 

I was at the game, I saw the foul. Didn't see any kind of scuffle. Didn't hear anybody yelling.  Nothing to warrant an intentional foul.  If the player said something to levy, it was very subtle.   

So, you're saying she thinks that a player believing she can win against other players,  is worse than one breaking a tssaa rule?  Do you believe there has ever been a miss basketball or mr basketball who believed that they couldn't win when they played?

5 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

I was at the game, I saw the foul. Didn't see any kind of scuffle. Didn't hear anybody yelling.  Nothing to warrant an intentional foul.  If the player said something to levy, it was very subtle.   

So, you're saying she thinks that a player believing she can win against other players,  is worse than one breaking a tssaa rule?  Do you believe there has ever been a miss basketball or mr basketball who believed that they couldn't win when they played?

That's just the way I took it. Not sure if that's what she meant by it though. 

8 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

You will have to show me where a high five breaks the rules.  I’m sure all nominees feel that way they just don’t state it so arrogantly.

3 minutes ago, ElizabethGrace1320 said:

You will have to show me where a high five breaks the rules.  I’m sure all nominees feel that way they just don’t state it so arrogantly.

So, if a reporter asks a player," do you think you can beat them if you play?"  And a player says" yeah, I can take them".  that is arrogant on what level?   Players and officials are not to fraternize in any way, before, during, or after the game.  That means that officials and players are not to interact, except a captain addressing an official during a game, about the game, or the captains meetings before the game. Anything else give the impression that they are friendly with one another.  And keeps officials from looking like they favor one player or team over another.  

20 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

So, if a reporter asks a player," do you think you can beat them if you play?"  And a player says" yeah, I can take them".  that is arrogant on what level?   Players and officials are not to fraternize in any way, before, during, or after the game.  That means that officials and players are not to interact, except a captain addressing an official during a game, about the game, or the captains meetings before the game. Anything else give the impression that they are friendly with one another.  And keeps officials from looking like they favor one player or team over another.  

Your statement said the official gave her a high five.  How again did the player break a rule? If you were at that game I’m sure you remember the foul count at the end of each half. 

I was at this game as well the intentional foul was called because the defender went after Levy from behind and made no play on the ball. In my opinion most coaches in the upper Cumberland leave starters in the game longer than they should. In my opinion player development is not taken as serious as it should be again in my opinion. If you have a running clock after mid way of the 3rd quarter starters shouldn't be on the floor. Once a running clock starts it remains for the rest of the game. All it takes as one star player to get hurt late in the 3rd or 4th and then what happens?

ART. 3

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Intentional fouls include, but are not limited to:

a. Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position.

b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play.

c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting.

d. Excessive contact with an opponent while the ball is live or until an airborne shooter returns to the floor.

• Like 1