3A STATE TITLE GAME - ALCOA VS COVINGTON

CHARGERFAN

16 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I said it last week and it came back to bite me, but I will say it again, Covington has had a great season but it will end with yet another state runner up. Alcoa is the real deal. Covington is a very good team, but I just don't see how they can beat Alcoa. If I am being honest, I really don't see how they will keep it within 3 TDs. This Covington team has ALOT of heart and determination. They will need every ounce of it Thursday to keep this close. 

An earlier poster mentioned the conditioning program at Covington. I agree, it has to be one of the best in west Tennessee at least. I have seen them play much larger teams and much smaller teams and they always look like they could play another whole game once the games ends. I think the one thing Covington will have going for them is the fact that this will be a short week. Alcoa may have trouble repping against Covington's offense with such a short turnaround. But then again, that goes both ways. 

Good luck to both teams next week. I hope its as good a game as last nights PC-Covington matchup. 

The short week does make it tough. Alcoa has played some good wing-t/ with mis-direction schemes and had good success. 

Just now, BCsportsfan said:

The short week does make it tough. Alcoa has played some good wing-t/ with mis-direction schemes and had good success. 

I would say Covington compares to Webb except a little deeper. Also a little tougher up front but with a little less speed. They are better than last years Liberty team by a good bit. 

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I would say Covington compares to Webb except a little deeper. Also a little tougher up front but with a little less speed. They are better than last years Liberty team by a good bit. 

Sounds good BPM. Alcoa’s offense is a bit more open with play calling than last years team.  Much more balanced this year. The D is playing pretty good as well. Won’t give up much more than 7-14 points. Should be a fun game! :popcorneater:

7 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Covington is more physical than last year's Liberty team but not as athletic.

Hopefully Alcoa's depth can help in a physical 4 qtr. game. The Maryville and Dobbins-Bennett games where Big physical 4 qtr. wars.

Alcoa defense will need to get stops and not let Covington control the clock and TOP like they did in the 2nd half of the PC game.

Hoping the defense can hold Covington to 14 points or less? 

Going to be a good one!

22 minutes ago, bglass said:

How would y'all compare to Fulton in 2012 . They looked like the Vols walking out huge lineman and lots of skill players  we jumped out 14-0 but they ended up wearing us down and got us pretty good.

Difficult to compare. I would say this Alcoa team has more depth and talent that goes two deep at most positions. 

This Tornado team is much like that of this years Maryville team. Maybe not quiet explosive consistently on offense, but the defense is as good if not a bit better...

Edited by Throwdeslant

45 minutes ago, bglass said:

How would y'all compare to Fulton in 2012 . They looked like the Vols walking out huge lineman and lots of skill players  we jumped out 14-0 but they ended up wearing us down and got us pretty good.

Alcoa beat that Fulton team 30-6 that year. This year's team is better than the 2012 Alcoa team. Atlas defensive wise.....