3A STATE TITLE GAME - ALCOA VS COVINGTON

CHARGERFAN

Let's start the discussion.

Covington is the Cinderella in this story. The ugly girl and step-sister who should have stayed home and cleaned the kitchen. Maybe we have a fairy godmother helping, although that certainly would not describe Coach Marty Wheeler. Ask our squad. 

This season has been a tribute to the heart and grit of the Chargers. Nobody (and I literally mean nobody) picked them to win Region 7-3A. Revisit the thread on that topic in coach T and see what I mean. Posters picked Milan, Bolivar, or South Gibson County. Covington was not even an after thought.

But, after an season opening loss to Munford (5A), they have now put together a string of 13 straight. I hope that 13 is our lucky number and will carry us to that elusive State Championship. Covington has played for the Gold Ball 4 times, but has never won it

Alcoa, on the other hand, is the elite and fancy name in this contest. Numerous state titles to their credit. The handicappers will fall all over themselves to pick Alcoa. All I can say is that our Chargers will give this our best shot.

Discuss.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

28 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Let's start the discussion.

Covington is the Cinderella in this story. The ugly girl and step-sister who should have stayed home and cleaned the kitchen. Maybe we have a fairy godmother helping, although that certainly would not describe Coach Marty Wheeler. Ask our squad. 

This season has been a tribute to the heart and grit of the Chargers. Nobody (and I literally mean nobody) picked them to win Region 7-3A. Revisit the thread on that topic in coach T and see what I mean. Posters picked Milan, Bolivar, or South Gibson County. Covington was not even an after thought.

But, after an season opening loss to Munford (5A), they have now put together a string of 13 straight. I hope that 13 is our lucky number and will carry us to that elusive State Championship. Covington has played for the Gold Ball 4 times, but has never won it

Alcoa, on the other hand, is the elite and fancy name in this contest. Numerous state titles to their credit. The handicappers will fall all over themselves to pick Alcoa. All I can say is that our Chargers will give this our best shot.

Discuss.

How many does Covington dress? When subbing, does talent in depth become an issue? 

6 minutes ago, bglass said:

We dress about 45 but we have no one that plays both ways. Our safety will occasionally run the ball but he didn't at all last night. Y'all play ur freshman team so we'll have a chance.

Our Fresh are pretty good. Could play with most varsity teams in TN. Alcoa is fairly deep at most all positions. Subbing isn’t much of a problem. We dress about 75. 

Looking forward to a great game.:thumb:

I said it last week and it came back to bite me, but I will say it again, Covington has had a great season but it will end with yet another state runner up. Alcoa is the real deal. Covington is a very good team, but I just don't see how they can beat Alcoa. If I am being honest, I really don't see how they will keep it within 3 TDs. This Covington team has ALOT of heart and determination. They will need every ounce of it Thursday to keep this close. 

An earlier poster mentioned the conditioning program at Covington. I agree, it has to be one of the best in west Tennessee at least. I have seen them play much larger teams and much smaller teams and they always look like they could play another whole game once the games ends. I think the one thing Covington will have going for them is the fact that this will be a short week. Alcoa may have trouble repping against Covington's offense with such a short turnaround. But then again, that goes both ways. 

Good luck to both teams next week. I hope its as good a game as last nights PC-Covington matchup. 

31 minutes ago, bglass said:

We dress about 45 but we have no one that plays both ways. Our safety will occasionally run the ball but he didn't at all last night. Y'all play ur freshman team so we'll have a chance.

Alcoa has 3 freshman starters this year. #98, #15,#13 on defense, And, rotate in #7, #14 on offense. #98 and #15 will play some on offense. i Don't remember Alcoa starting this many freshman ever.