The Knoxville News Sentinel

QSouth89

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Now that the KNS is part of the USA Today network, there is little (if any) chance that their local prep sports coverage is going to improve. Not without additional funding/ad revenue.

I'm still surprised that, with all of the money/ad revenue being thrown at sites that cover college recruiting extensively (e.g., m#xpreps, 247sports, rivals, etc), many markets still struggle to provide quality prep sports coverage. As a financial supporter of the T, I would love to see Jim add a database that would allow plus users the ability to input box scores, statistics, and even game summaries or write-ups for a variety of prep sporting events (similar to what NFHS/Digital Scout).

It sure would be great. I'm fairly new to the T. What is this "plus" all about? How does it work? I don't mind supporting something worth supporting. Heck, I just cancelled my newspaper subscription, so there are a few more pennies lying around. :) 

How refreshing to know that I could read an article abour Seton Hall beating St. Peters last night but NO high school scores!  Correct me if I'm wrong but the Tennessean and Commercial Appeal are both associated with the USA Today and they still publish their local high school scores and articles.  Shoot Memphis would riot if their local sports were left out the Commerical Appeal.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/high-schools/

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/preps/

Edited by QSouth89

13 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

It sure would be great. I'm fairly new to the T. What is this "plus" all about? How does it work? I don't mind supporting something worth supporting. Heck, I just cancelled my newspaper subscription, so there are a few more pennies lying around. :) 

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/plus/

The Plus membership is $24 annually. There aren't a ton of perks, but it helps support the site, which is worth it to me. You also get ad-free access to everything, additional message boards that are reserved for plus members, private messaging, and I believe plus members are the only users allowed to update the live scoreboard.

What Jim has done with this site is fantastic, and I think there is an opportunity to do even more with it, if the interest/support is there.

2 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

How refreshing to know that I could read an article abour Seton Hall beating St. Peters last night but NO high school scores!  Correct me if I'm wrong but the Tennessean and Commercial Appeal are both associated with the USA Today and they still publish their local high school scores and articles.  Shoot Memphis would riot if their local sports were left out the Commerical Appeal.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/high-schools/

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/preps/

Good point Q. Both are now part of the USA Today network. I don't think I realized that. Tom Kreager does a fantastic job for the Tennessean. There just aren't enough guys like him to go around. Makes me wonder how much freelance work the Tennessean and Commerical Appeal rely on for prep coverage.

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

Good point Q. Both are now part of the USA Today network. I don't think I realized that. Tom Kreager does a fantastic job for the Tennessean. There just aren't enough guys like him to go around. Makes me wonder how much freelance work the Tennessean and Commerical Appeal rely on for prep coverage.

I'd say a lot. 

The Chattanooga Times Free Press does a great job on box scores & HS basketball coverage.  I can’t believe the KNS doesn’t include it. 

We can read about the Vols on a hundred different sites, but I subscribe to the Times Free Press solely for the local sports (HS) coverage. 

Edited by FootballFan51

Just got a form letter from Barbara Smith VP customer Service rep for the KNS telling me how great they are and then saying they were going up in Jan to $62.49  a month. But how they promise to remain committed to my needs. That's the end, I shot a letter off to her stopping my subscription.  With a copy of her " how great we are letter".  

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2017 at 10:08 PM, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

Is anyone surprised, given the disaster that was the local HS football coverage? It is horrible across the board. The girls get even less! It is past pitiful, and I don't even have a daughter playing. My subscription is now cancelled!

As for Packer......he gives SOME HS KIDS a lot of pub. But, he has a chosen handful of programs he chooses to promote, and that is it.....Farragut, South Doyle, Catholic, Maryville and his newfound pet, Greenback. They all had multiple games on TV this year, and there were a bunch of other worthy programs to promote that had great matchups.

Packer doesn't support Maryville, he takes jabs at Maryville on a regular basis. 

KNS owned by USA Today is awful. Sports gambling in TN is illegal but the Betting Lines are in the paper daily. It takes an earth quake,hurricane and snow storm to render much change is the world golf rankings but they are listed almost daily. HS sports? No room for those. It's piss poor journalism . My favorite is the way every writer now starts their article with "Five things you should know". Well here's the 5 things they should know about their paper. 1. The local coverage is non-existent; 2. Their proof reader is asleep on the job. This summer 3 players shot 57 (not 67 but 57) in the PGA at Quail Hollow. Heck what's 10 strokes in a golf game. Also just recently" Oak Ridge Girls were No Match for Campbell County" Of course OR won so I guess they were matched up ok. 3. Not many people in Knoxville care enough about curling or cross country sking to read 2-3 full pages on the matter. 4. If you can't get to press with a story about a Vol or Lady Vol BB game that started at 3:00 by the next morning's edition, don't bother with it 2 days later. 5. Could you at least return to the papers original size? It fit in my bird cage easier and that's about the only use I have for it. Sure wish I wasn't paid up for 3 more months.

• Like 1