TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

I saw 4 middle school games yesterday, in a row. One school was outmatched in each game. The refs didn't call it tightly but they didn't let the undermanned school get away with everything like you see sometimes. The only thing I really remember at all is letting 5 seconds go a time or two. Both refs looked to be around 25-30, you never know when competent ones will come up.

21 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

There are bad people in every profession but with carpenters, plumbers, doctors, lawyers, grocers or even undertakers you can always go to another and change. You don't get to change refs. You stuck with them. And the good ones suffer because of the bad.

There are more people out there to choose from in those occupations.  But if you used one of the bad ones, it still cost you $ for one of the good ones to fix the others mistakes.

Facts are that there are no more officials out there to choose from.  We have what we have and until people sign up to pick up a whistle this is how it is.  We can fuss and complain all we want, not going to change a thing    Only way to make a change is to get involved

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, atrisk said:

Involvement is the key to this and many other issues. Small things. Start with giving a ref a Pat on the back instead of flipping them off. 

I have attended a unbelievable number of middle school and high school games all over West Tennessee mostly and ventured into other parts of the state and neighboring states too. I can say I have never seen anyone flip off an official at any of them. I can say I've seen them booed and laughed at. I've seen fans on their feet yelling and stood up a few times myself. But obscene gestures ...never have I seen thank goodness.I realize maybe I have not been in some areas as much as others though.

anyone that yells at any official during summer camp is a idiot. Not what the event is about. But the players are always going to vary from poor to very good, coaches the same. Has been for all time. Officials have also for years but are getting progressively worse as a whole. Although I saw probably the best called games I have watched all season last night with the Dyer County vs Ripley match up. Two guys and a lady. One weak ref. He was older , out of shape, couldn't run the floor and was consistently bad. Other two called fairly well. Didnt make themselves a part of the game. Kids were able to play and decide the game while the clock was running and not stopped during free throws and explanations given to coaches and very consistent as to how they were going to make their calls. Older guy had no rhyme or reason but fortunately the players controlled  the outcome of this game by their play. ladies game wasnt much of a matchup so no way to evaluate the refs. Guys game showed the difference.

Some of the worst is during summer team camps when players know they won't foul out, and often, there's no 1 and 1. One girl had 18 fouls in a camp game a few years ago, the coach didn't do anything to settle her down, and things nearly got out of control. There definitely should be more control in many of those camps.

Edited by Indian

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, Indian said:

Some of the worst is during summer team camps when players know they won't foul out, and often, there's no 1 and 1. One girl had 18 fouls in a camp game a few years ago, the coach didn't do anything to settle her down, and things nearly got out of control. There definitely should be more control in many of those camps.

Why someone would get upset at officials during camps is beyond anything that is close to having an idea about what those type events are designed for. But the actual games during the school season is where the focus should be for better officiated games.

2 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

Why someone would get upset at officials during camps is beyond anything that is close to having an idea about what those type events are designed for. But the actual games during the school season is where the focus should be for better officiated games.

Maybe the risk of acls being torn on unchecked dirty fouls, concussions with players knocked into a wall, or fights among players, maybe.

18 hours ago, Indian said:

Maybe the risk of acls being torn on unchecked dirty fouls, concussions with players knocked into a wall, or fights among players, maybe.

That I think falls back first on the player being able to control their attitudes. I know I am asking a lot with the way discipline is handle these days but that type of play falls first on the player. Then it gets to the coach for allowing it to go on. neither coach should want to see anyone get hurt. I have personally removed a kid from a game for throwing an elbow a few years back while coaching and the kid didn't see the floor the rest of that weekend during a play day. If there has to be a official just for those things and not for game continuity question the coach not the ref.

• Like 1