Playing starters in blowouts

RealisticFan45

On two occasions I have seen Haywood's coach play her senior starters, including Memphis signee, in 30-40 point blowouts. Are stats that important? Margin of victory? What's the point?  She did it vs Himboldt and they played Madison tonight at Oman Arena. She played the starters until 1:11 on the clock. If I am coaching Shutes doesn't dress out and probably Calloway either. 

Edited by RealisticFan45

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RealisticFan45 said:

On two occasions I have seen Haywood's coach play her senior starters, including Memphis signee, in 30-40 point blowouts. Are stats that important? Margin of victory? What's the point?  She did it vs Himboldt and they played Madison tonight at Oman Arena. She played the starters until 1:11 on the clock. If I am coaching Shutes doesn't dress out and probably Calloway either. 

What if she doesn't dress them out and they lose? What if she is trying to get Miss Basketball? What if she is trying to be a 2,000 point scorer? Stats don't matter but 10 years from nobody is going to remember Haywood coach played her starters but they will remember that Shutes was the All time leading scorer at Haywood. She miss that game and that could cost her. I wouldn't care if I was playing a middle school team, if you step on the floor friendly ball is out the door coach or player.

Or maybe its Coaches egos! They think a 30-40 point win looks better in the paper or on Coach T than a 20 point win! Some Coaches believe it is about them and not the players! How about the other kids on the bench that show up at every practice and bust their butts just to make the starters better! But I have seen this as well! The Coach on the losing end will leave their starters in as well just trying to make the score less embarrassing! Either way you cant nurture your program up 30 with 3 mins to go with upperclass starters on the floor! 

Who cares.... let the good players play! The basketball in west TN is bad enough as it is. Who wants to really watch Haywood’s second string kids against Madison...? If I’m going to watch Haywood play, it’s because I’m going to watch Jamirah score 50.

Player development comes in practice...

Edited by GCPioneer

9 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Who cares.... let the good players play! The basketball in west TN is bad enough as it is. Who wants to really watch Haywood’s second string kids against Madison...? If I’m going to watch Haywood play, it’s because I’m going to watch Jamirah score 50.

Player development comes in practice...

Amen and amen!  Great minds think alike.