CLINTON DRAGONS 2018

92Dragon

32 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

His offense scored 10 or less in seven games last year and 13 in another one but let's keep that our secret and let Coach McCamey figure that one out.  I'm sure for the Clinton fans that had to be like setting there for 48 minutes watching a moth climb a drape.

Lol....I know it was frustrating for me. 

Edited by 92Dragon

19 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

I wonder why the wing-t doesn't work in 5A & 6A ? If teams in 5A & 6A dont see the wing -t very  often....it seems like it would be more difficult for them to stop? 

19 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Because Speed > Wing-T. Like HTV said, there is a reason Oakland doesn't run it exclusively

I do not think it is speed > Wing T, I think the Wing T + Speed + Blocking vs the team your playing. It's just easy to defend without a lot of pass option, above average speed in a bottled up formation. You wear your runners down trying to pick up a few yards then maybe a chunk here and there.

My brother's team ran the Wing T his 8th grade year and they didn't score a lot(21-28 points average) even though they had a better athletes and bigger o-line/players than most the teams they played, against youngsters that didn't see the Wing T from anyone else. When they lost it was to two teams that ran a 4-4-3 and 4-3-4 with matching size/talent that just came after the ball carriers.

Scott held them to 10 points in 2017 with not a great deal of speed, average size and etc from an inexperienced team of mostly Juniors that went 1-9 in the regular season.  The one TD Clinton got I believe was because Scott went for it inside their own 35 during the 4th.

Edited by TheOgre78

1 hour ago, TheOgre78 said:

I do not think it is speed > Wing T, I think the Wing T + Speed + Blocking vs the team your playing. It's just easy to defend without a lot of pass option, above average speed in a bottled up formation. You wear your runners down trying to pick up a few yards then maybe a chunk here and there.

My brother's team ran the Wing T his 8th grade year and they didn't score a lot(21-28 points average) even though they had a better athletes and bigger o-line/players than most the teams they played, against youngsters that didn't see the Wing T from anyone else. When they lost it was to two teams that ran a 4-4-3 and 4-3-4 with matching size/talent that just came after the ball carriers.

Scott held them to 10 points in 2017 with not a great deal of speed, average size and etc from an inexperienced team of mostly Juniors that went 1-9 in the regular season.  The one TD Clinton got I believe was because Scott went for it inside their own 35 during the 4th.

I agree to a certain extent. I do believe you can have a great season running the Wing-T but when you get deep in the playoffs you can have the perfect play drawn up and it still may not work against an athletic team. Look up Oakland's game against Whitehaven in 2016 for reference.

You can keep a defense on it's toes without throwing the ball a great deal, but you need to use all parts of the field to do it. If your having to worry about your ball carriers getting tired, that probably says more about your off season program than it does the offense. As Gary Rankin likes to say, that ball aint heavy

I say if the offense doesn't do any better this year then maybe McKamey needs to seriously consider changing things up a bit. There's no sense in being so stubborn or prideful that you're not willing to adjust to help your team be more successful. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

I don't mean to beat on McCamey because I know the man has been through a lot and enough to drive some people over the edge four years ago.  I saw Clinton play Maryville in a scrimmage in the spring last year and it was very clear the team couldn't pick that offense up so it didn't surprise me with the results of all the low scores. Now if he did change the offense the last two games maybe he will this year also but I would like to ask what he ran this spring?

1 hour ago, 92Dragon said:

I say if the offense doesn't do any better this year then maybe McKamey needs to seriously consider changing things up a bit. There's no sense in being so stubborn or prideful that you're not willing to adjust to help your team be more successful. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

Just not sure that is ever going to happen.  Some coaches are just too tied to a system to change it.  

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I don't mean to beat on McCamey because I know the man has been through a lot and enough to drive some people over the edge four years ago.  I saw Clinton play Maryville in a scrimmage in the spring last year and it was very clear the team couldn't pick that offense up so it didn't surprise me with the results of all the low scores. Now if he did change the offense the last two games maybe he will this year also but I would like to ask what he ran this spring?

Clinton scrimmaged Carter in the Spring and Clinton ran the wing-t. You can watch the highlights on YouTube. 

7 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

Clinton scrimmaged Carter in the Spring and Clinton ran the wing-t. You can watch the highlights on YouTube. 

So he runs the wing-t the first 8 games last year and scores a total of 46 points and then changes the offense and they score 67 points in the last two games. Then he comes back in the spring with the wing-t against Carter in a scrimmage. That's the coach I know.  Just remember Carter Football is in the state of confusion right now and don't know if their coming or going.