Mr. Basketball Nominees-Need Input

CoachD33

18 hours ago, VB-booster said:

Caden Mills from Van Buren County has to be a favorite to win class single A.  The 6'6" wing is the real deal. His off the court and classroom demeanor are just as strong as his basketball game. 

That last part is the most important hard to find that these days if they are good or just think they are . It seems They have attitudes gets on my nerves 

Edited by Dexter10

AA Lockett East Nashville Jared Ward White House only two players worth mentioning are talking about.

Ward out of White House you have to show him love didn't even know the school exist up there if we didn't play them I would have never got to see the Kid play. I've been following him ever since

Ward stats this year

21.5 points per game 3.6 assists per game 5.6 rebounds per game 4.4 steals per game

Top five in the state and total points leads the state in steals and steal to turnover ratio also these stats are without the last three games being posted yet and I know he went for 41 in one of those games if you haven't heard of him or seen him play you need to check him out. 

Lockett is a triple double guy

Season stats 14.3 points per game 4.7 assists per game 9.1 rebounds per game 3.5 steals per game I've seen him play many times is very good very athletic love watching him play. 

Eight Memphis area players named Mr. or Miss Basketball finalists

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 11:37 a.m. CT Feb. 8, 2018 | Updated 12:39 p.m. CT Feb. 8, 2018

Someone from Memphis is guaranteed to win Mr. Basketball in Class AAA. The only question is which of the city's standout senior guards will take home the state's top individual prize.

Alex Lomax of East, Tyler Harris of Cordova and Mark Freeman of Southwind were named finalists Thursday for the award in the state's largest classification.

Lomax, who has won in each of the past two seasons, is the floor general for the two-time defending state champions and is averaging 12.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and 8.3 assists this season. In his last game against Overton, he had a career-best eight 3-pointers while finishing with 32 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists.

He's joined by Harris, who scored 44 points against Bolton on Tuesday and is leading the city in scoring at 29.9 points per game. He's a finalist for the second year in a row.

Freeman, meanwhile, averages 22.3 points and eight assists per contest for the Jaguars, who have the best record in the city at 23-1 heading into Friday's regular-season finale against Ridgeway.

Arecko Gipson, who is having a fine senior season for MASE, is a Class A finalist. The senior is averaging 25.4 points and 8.8 rebounds for an Engineers' team that will be looking to advance to the state tournament for the first time in school history. He's competing against Caden Mills of Van Buren and Jackson Hicks of Oakdale.

In Division II-AA, Briarcrest's Cedric Henderson is a finalist alongside last year's winner, Darius Garland of Brentwood Academy, and Jr. Clay of Chattanooga McCallie. Henderson, the son and namesake of the former Memphis State star and East High All-American, is averaging 15 points per game and earlier this year led the Saints to a school-record 19-game winning streak.

Rossville's Malik Riddle is a finalist in Division II-A for the second straight year, where he's up against C.J. Gettelfinger of Grace Christian and Keon Johnson of The Webb School. Riddle's 25.4 points per game ranks him second in the city behind Harris.

Two girls are represented as well, led by McDonald's All-American Elizabeth Dixon of Ridgeway. The senior — who was named along with Brinae Alexander of Murfreesboro Riverdale and Rhyne Howard of Bradley Central — is averaging 24 points, 14 rebounds and 6.1 blocks per game while shooting 69 percent from the floor.

In Division II-AA, Briarcrest's Savanna Owens made the final three with Sydni Harvey of Brentwood Academy and Dontavia Waggoner of Nashville Ensworth. The senior is averaging 15 points, eight rebounds, five assists and four steals per contest.

The winners in each classification will be announced March 7 in Murfreesboro.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

Congrats to the young men and ladies from Memphis mentioned in the article above.