110-23

Indian

Second half, or whenever thought to be the time, Run different people at point, pass multiple times before a shot attempt no matter how open (developing skills for future), don't allow uncontested shots but don't jump the passing lanes aggressively either. Getting easy steals with no problem can actually be a negative. Saw a game this year, 40-1 at halftime, stopped pressing mid first, final was around 48-4. It can be done.

If you had actually been there to have actual firsthand knowledge of what happened, then you would know that's exactly what happened from the end of the 1st quarter until the end of the game.  It's a 1 win team in a weak Chattanooga single A district.  I'm not downing them at all, but that's the truth.  I thought they played hard and I really respect the effort they gave against a superior opponent with the outcome never in doubt.  That's pretty hard to do, in case you've never had to experience that.  I have and it sucks.  I don't put much stock in polls but I think most would agree Pickett is one of the top 10 teams in the state in single A.  Hardy had 7 players dress, I think.  I really don't think you should be downing Pickett over a ballgame you didn't see, but that's just me, I guess.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Indian said:

110-23 doesn't do any good for anyone and raises nothing. But fine, maybe the next time there's a matchup like this one of the teams can go for 150 or 200. 

It raises the bench players confidence and elevates their ability. And it should raise the losing teams desire to improve, so they don't get beat by 87 next time. And therefore raises the level of the game  

Making a good team pass the ball around and not score for 3 quarters, reduces that teams bench scoring capability and teaches the other team that they don't have to improve to reduce their humiliation. Thereby lowering the level of competition and reducing the game to a mockery

I won't get way into it but the new charter schools adding teams throws off classifications in basketball, and it will continue. I'd like to see four classes, top four from three districts at a time form a region (or subsectional, however you want to call it). 12 districts in each class would reverse the watering down somewhat, 16 wouldn't work. It would require byes, so district champs would have importance. Another night off can help with injury recovery at this point. Some of the top teams would still end up as champs, examples possibly 1A Clarkrange, 2A Upperman, 3A Cumberland, 4A Riverdale, but getting into the region at all would have more meaning too and potentially the matchups would be better overall.

Edited by Indian

1 hour ago, Indian said:

I won't get way into it but the new charter schools adding teams throws off classifications in basketball, and it will continue. I'd like to see four classes, top four from three districts at a time form a region (or subsectional, however you want to call it). 12 districts in each class would reverse the watering down somewhat, 16 wouldn't work. It would require byes, so district champs would have importance. Another night off can help with injury recovery at this point. Some of the top teams would still end up as champs, examples possibly 1A Clarkrange, 2A Upperman, 3A Cumberland, 4A Riverdale, but getting into the region at all would have more meaning too and potentially the matchups would be better overall.

Magnet schools are also messing things up. Magnets need their own division or be put with the privates.

I don't think magnets are going anywhere for a while. I'd call them similar to charters as far as classes. Point of all that was no teams like Hardy would qualify for the region unless they upset a team in their district tournament. Districts would all have at least 6 teams. Set it at that minimum. Seven likely the max. There still would be blowouts, you even get them at the state, but with cutoffs around 450, 750, 1200, the competition would be better on the average.

. The main thing is Richard Hardy is down in girls basketball.  Few years ago the girls were pretty good.  The boys were down.  Now, the boys are pretty good this year (just ask Jackson co Rhms won 58 to 48 tonight).  The main thing is there was a member of district 5 petitioned  the tssaa and  moved them to district 4.  That gave district 5 only 4 teams.

The bottom line is this team had no business being rewarded with a region game. There were much better teams left at home out of our district than this one. I know Coach Smith and he did NOT run up the score. He has 9 players and they are ALL good so it’s not his fault this team is that bad. T$$AA needs to fix this problem and stop rewarding teams that haven’t won a game all year a region tournament game. This reminds me of the football playoffs they had a few years ago where one win teams were playing in the post season. 

Yes they should ideally have not been in. There should be something in place before the season starts to prevent it though. Can't automatically make it losing record or some would not schedule anyone outside of districts. Plus it would hurt teams from tougher districts.

Best thing might be cut districts in each class to 12 from 16, take 4 of 6 to regions. Minimum 6 teams in each district. 4 classes so no 2500 student schools vs 1050, 1025 vs 500. As said before new charters will continue to foul up the class alignments with 3 classes.

Under this Chattanooga area 1A might have had Tellico Plains, Whitwell, Van Buren, South Pitt make it. Still would have been hard matchups but no 1-25 teams.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:21 PM, mrbasketball said:

Eased up second half.  Had 73 at the half.  I am sure Brent was not pressing second half.  Probably could of been a lot worse,

The subs, freshmen started the 2nd quarter not the half. PC could not put in the cheerleaders.  Not PCs fault that Hardy couldn't play. If PC wanted to run it up they could have left the starters in and scored 150. The starters HAD to get some playing time since they were playing Clarkrange next which had been #1 in the state most of they year and was the only team they lost to all year. Still they played very few minutes. Also PC is the highest scoring team in the state and played a 1-19 who played a weak schedule. .

Edited by bobcatfan300