Mitchell vs. Hamilton (Zero Points In The First Quarter)

tomcatfan

These two teams played for the Region 8AA Championship last night and I hear that the score was 0-0 at the end of the first quarter.  From what I hear, Mitchell won the jump ball and held the ball the entire first quarter.  Did anyone attend the game and can tell us what happened?  If this is true, I can see why people are pushing for a shot clock in TN.  I am all for strategy, but the fans deserve better than that.  The final score ended up being 40-24 with Hamilton winning the game.  So the strategy didn't pay off.  What are your thoughts??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, tomcatfan said:

These two teams played for the Region 8AA Championship last night and I hear that the score was 0-0 at the end of the first quarter.  From what I hear, Mitchell won the jump ball and held the ball the entire first quarter.  Did anyone attend the game and can tell us what happened?  If this is true, I can see why people are pushing for a shot clock in TN.  I am all for strategy, but the fans deserve better than that.  The final score ended up being 40-24 with Hamilton winning the game.  So the strategy didn't pay off.  What are your thoughts??

No idea what happened at this game but a shot clock would be great. Gotta get the kids ready for the next level. I know many won't play college hoops but for the ones that will it is doing them an injustice not to have a shot clock.

They don't need a shot clock in high school. 

Yes, Mitchell won the tip and held the ball. So what?

The gym at Trezevant is small and it's barely half full. The fans deserve more. This isn't college or the pros.

In Memphis, no one holds the ball longer than 35-40 seconds anyway. 

If a team is up 2pts with 40 seconds to go and have to shoot it because of a 35 sec shot clock and then lose on a buzzer beater then what good is that? It's more beneficial to learn to work the ball than have to shoot it. 

Plus it's just something that cost the schools money, have to get someone to run, and then something for the refs to screw up.

Edited by warmachine7954

2 hours ago, OldSportsGuy said:

No idea what happened at this game but a shot clock would be great. Gotta get the kids ready for the next level. I know many won't play college hoops but for the ones that will it is doing them an injustice not to have a shot clock.

Yep, let's punish the thousands of other kids the play high school basketball around the state that will never play a second of college basketball.

7 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Yep, let's punish the thousands of other kids the play high school basketball around the state that will never play a second of college basketball.

totally agree  Our job is to get these kids to play to their ability and for majority that doesnt mean college   Do not need a shot clock  Coaches have to use a strategy that gives their team best chance to win   If you don't want someone holding the ball then trap & press 

Holding the ball is just fine and dandy until a memphis team (playing another memphis team) does it! Ive seen so many teams outside of the midsouth sit back and wait on the memphis team get out of the zone and never heard a problem before. The better team won, it doesnt matter. 

6 minutes ago, TonyG said:

Holding the ball is just fine and dandy until a memphis team (playing another memphis team) does it! Ive seen so many teams outside of the midsouth sit back and wait on the memphis team get out of the zone and never heard a problem before. The better team won, it doesnt matter. 

Hamilton had beaten Mitchell 4 times this year so the coach had to try something new right?

In the early 2000s Ridgeway did the same thing to Dyer Co. at the State Tournament to make DC come out of their 1-2-2 matchup. I think that was a semifinal game. 

36 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

I wouldn't consider a shot clock punishing kids that aren't going to play college hoops. I think it would actually make the game more fun for all the kids. I don't think there are many high school kids getting excited when their coach says hey guys we are going to hold the ball and not actually play the game.

28 minutes ago, Bkbfan4ever said:

totally agree  Our job is to get these kids to play to their ability and for majority that doesnt mean college   Do not need a shot clock  Coaches have to use a strategy that gives their team best chance to win   If you don't want someone holding the ball then trap & press 

I feel you on strategy. Not a lot of strategy in holding the basketball though. You are right, if a team holds the ball then get after them on defense and they will have to play.

I still like the idea of a shot clock. I think it would make the game more fun for all the kids.

10 minutes ago, OldSportsGuy said:

I wouldn't consider a shot clock punishing kids that aren't going to play college hoops. I think it would actually make the game more fun for all the kids. I don't think there are many high school kids getting excited when their coach says hey guys we are going to hold the ball and not actually play the game.

How would it be more fun? Part of high school athletics is putting yourself aside and be coached.

46 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Hamilton had beaten Mitchell 4 times this year so the coach had to try something new right?

In the early 2000s Ridgeway did the same thing to Dyer Co. at the State Tournament to make DC come out of their 1-2-2 matchup. I think that was a semifinal game. 

nothing wrong with it. the little general knew he didnt have the horses to run with hamilton and was reminded several times this year, so why not switch it up? East TN schools do it to us all the time, and we dont gripe, i dont see the problem.

31 minutes ago, TonyG said:

nothing wrong with it. the little general knew he didnt have the horses to run with hamilton and was reminded several times this year, so why not switch it up? East TN schools do it to us all the time, and we dont gripe, i dont see the problem.

I agree. There is no need for a shot clock in high school basketball. 

The only reason they exist in college and the pros is for fans. AKA $$$$