Job Openings for Next Year

BigOrangeBaller

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, OldSportsGuy said:

Tradertwo 

Talent hasn’t been and still isn’t there to win. They haven’t had really good talent since Marshall graduated. Hopefully they will give him a chance. Not sure what some close to the program are thinking but mediocre is the norm in Lexington 

Not talking about wins and losses, just job performance. Some of the best coaching jobs I've witnessed over the course of a season haven't resulted in championships. I'm talking about making the most of the talent available, and making the most of individuals on the team on a personal level. No coach has control of what he has to work with, but the best of them make their team better than the sum of the parts that they have to work with. The Nick Marshall team that you speak of is a prime example...they lost an elimination game at home to an inferior Ripley team...not a great coaching job in that game, or in that season. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/17/2018 at 6:31 PM, tradertwo said:

Not talking about wins and losses, just job performance. Some of the best coaching jobs I've witnessed over the course of a season haven't resulted in championships. I'm talking about making the most of the talent available, and making the most of individuals on the team on a personal level. No coach has control of what he has to work with, but the best of them make their team better than the sum of the parts that they have to work with. The Nick Marshall team that you speak of is a prime example...they lost an elimination game at home to an inferior Ripley team...not a great coaching job in that game, or in that season. 

I agree with all of that with the exception of wins and losses. There is a scoreboard and at the end of the game one team gets the win and other gets the loss. I’m not sure how the talent is going to be there. Lexington has finished 3rd the past 3 seasons and went to first round of Region tournament and lost. What would be a successful season for them? 

On 6/17/2018 at 6:31 PM, tradertwo said:

I’m not sure I agree with you on everything being the coaches fault either. Kids have to be coachable. If they are not then teams can only win based on talent and talent usually don’t mean a championship. I think we have to be carful blaming the coach, especially since we have no idea what the culture is like before the coach takes the job 

On 6/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, tradertwo said:

Runyon is a good guy and the kids seem to like him, so he doesn't have to overcome that obstacle. There are some pitfalls that he will have to be careful of though...without "outing" what some close to the program think, it will be an uphill battle to be better than mediocre. The problems will become clear soon enough.

tradertwo

so I guess you think this will not work for them. LOL

no idea what things are like in Lexington but they haven't been very good recently according to their record. I saw them one time last year and they played hard but just didn't have a lot of talent. what do they have coming back? what problems?

33 minutes ago, OldSportsGuy said:

I’m not sure I agree with you on everything being the coaches fault either. Kids have to be coachable. If they are not then teams can only win based on talent and talent usually don’t mean a championship. I think we have to be carful blaming the coach, especially since we have no idea what the culture is like before the coach takes the job 

OldSportsGuy

Come on man... you know it is always the coaches fault!!!  ;-)

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, OldSportsGuy said:

We're going to get into splitting hairs here if not careful, but in my opinion the best coaches know how to coach those "uncoachable" kids.

I know one "troubled" young man who has had it rough at home...in trouble at school most of his life and thrown off the middle school football team for attitude and skipping practice. The young man made all region linebacker in his junior season. From grades 9-11 his coach counseled him, and went to his home when he missed practice the first time...turns out his grandparents were "disciplining" him by keeping him from football, which he loved. Long story short, coach and grandparents came to an agreement, and when being disciplined afterward, coach was allowed to pick up the kid. If you could read the letter his coach got the day the young man graduated, thanking him for being the "father" he never had, and giving him the credit for keeping him in school,you would understand the impact a great coach has on those uncoachable kids. 

Almost forgot. In his senior year, he had a new coach and was thrown off the team for skipping practice.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, OldSportsGuy said:

I agree with all of that with the exception of wins and losses. There is a scoreboard and at the end of the game one team gets the win and other gets the loss. I’m not sure how the talent is going to be there. Lexington has finished 3rd the past 3 seasons and went to first round of Region tournament and lost. What would be a successful season for them? 

Not trying to be coy, but a successful season would be determined by the talent available, and the way the team plays. In Marshall's senior season, their region loss was underachieving...last season was no better on the books, but they represented themselves very well by going as deep as they did.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, WhereYouAt said:

tradertwo

so I guess you think this will not work for them. LOL

no idea what things are like in Lexington but they haven't been very good recently according to their record. I saw them one time last year and they played hard but just didn't have a lot of talent. what do they have coming back? what problems?

You misunderstood. I never critique a coach until he's at least into the second year on the job. I mentioned pitfalls that he'd have to be careful of, as would any other in his exact situation. Sorry to be vague, but no details. I also said that the potential problems were "what some close to the program" thought. 

For returning talent, they won't b expected to win the region, but should be mid pack in the district.

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

You misunderstood. I never critique a coach until he's at least into the second year on the job. I mentioned pitfalls that he'd have to be careful of, as would any other in his exact situation. Sorry to be vague, but no details. I also said that the potential problems were "what some close to the program" thought. 

For returning talent, they won't b expected to win the region, but should be mid pack in the district.

That makes more sense. I think a high school coach should be given at least 4 years. That way every kid in the program is his kid. It may take some time to build the culture the way it needs to be. 

That district will belong to Southside until someone changes it.