Rodney Ellison resigns

92Dragon

53 minutes ago, HTV said:

The coach your are talking about is a terrific football coach, but I am not sure that he was a coordinator in his last stop.  

And as for having a "better than expected season", most who follow Powell don't buy that.  Yes, they won 5 games, but look at the schedule and who they beat for those 5 games.  Playing those types of teams don't help you get better.  The bottom line is that they couldn't finish in the top 4 of a mediocre 6 team region and make the playoffs.

The timing of this is rather curious, however.  Hopefully something will come down by week's end.  

When is the Matt Lowe announcement? Was supposed to be today, guess hey didn’t want to overshadow Ellison announcing he was going to Catlick. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

"If true" is the keyword. Can't be proven and all conjecture but too convenient in my opinion given how quickly he was announced head coach. 

I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but based on the timeline, I'm assuming that Matt reached out to the Powell administration at some point in recent months. That's the only way this could have happened so quickly. I'm not sure what changed at TKA, but my guess is that they didn't follow through on some of the promises that were made to him 4-5 years ago.

Rodney wasn't hired by the current administration at Powell, so that could have also played into this. Still, it is a curious situation. Was he forced out or did he do it on his own? Did his ability as a teacher (or inability) factor in? I doubt we will ever get answers to those kinds of questions. Fortunately, Coach Ellison landed on his feet at Catholic in short order, and hopefully he made this decision on his own accord.

I was close to the program during Matt's previous tenure at Powell, and while the optics with Rodney's resignation don't look great, I'm very pleased to see Matt return. From what I've heard, Matt is also bringing back a significant portion of his former staff.

Edited by osunut2