The Gutts @ The Ridge

SweetScience

I had intended to post a couple of thoughts about the game, but some recent news seemed more important to share with Farragut fans and area high school football fans alike who might want to know and remember fondly: 

Lee Van Dyne, a standout WR for the Admirals from 2007-2009 who holds the all-time reception and reception yardage records at Farragut, passed away unexpectedly last Monday. He was just 26 years old. 

I didn’t know Lee, but he was a tremendous athlete and I certainly enjoyed watching him play on Friday nights. Although he was one of the most dangerous receivers in the area, I will always remember how he unselfishly and admirably stepped in at QB while Reese Browning was recovering from a fractured tibia suffered in a spring scrimmage.

May God bring peace and comfort to Lee’s family and friends during this difficult time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bounder said:

And Oak Ridge has already beaten 2 6A teams. Guess ALUM2011 knows some inside info?

This will certainly be the biggest test so far. FHS has good QBs, WRs, DBs and and strong linemen. I am sure ALUM2011 know all about what Farragut but he doesn't know just how well Oak Ridge plays as a team. Yes, our OL/DL are still young and small but they do exactly what the coaches tell them to do. They do not have to attempt to block a linemen who out weighs them by 50 pounds for five seconds or more.  In five seconds our back are gone, Booker has thrown the ball or taken off. On defense our DBs will certainly be tested but not unprepared for the WRs from Farragut. I have noticed on Tweeter that the OR and FHS guys have played and trained in 7-on-7.  The Ads will not have played a team with this much speed on Defense. Although, I expect the Farragut coaches to make adjustments during the game to off set our speed.

Special teams will be important. Our licking game is still developing but has had success. Our return game is solid. I expect Farragut to be A+ in all areas.

So well FHS depth and size come out on top or will OR pull off the upset?

5 hours ago, Former44 said:

I had intended to post a couple of thoughts about the game, but some recent news seemed more important to share with Farragut fans and area high school football fans alike who might want to know and remember fondly: 

Lee Van Dyne, a standout WR for the Admirals from 2007-2009 who holds the all-time reception and reception yardage records at Farragut, passed away unexpectedly last Monday. He was just 26 years old. 

I didn’t know Lee, but he was a tremendous athlete and I certainly enjoyed watching him play on Friday nights. Although he was one of the most dangerous receivers in the area, I will always remember how he unselfishly and admirably stepped in at QB while Reese Browning was recovering from a fractured tibia suffered in a spring scrimmage.

May God bring peace and comfort to Lee’s family and friends during this difficult time.

I remember him well. Very good ballplayer. I hate to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for that young mans family & loved ones. 

Edited by SweetScience

3 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

It seems that Farragut has finally recovered from losing kids to a new school a few years back. When that happens to a school it takes a while to get back to where you were at. It's like an animal losing a limb, it recovers and adapts like nothing is wrong.

Farragut is a big enough school to where it didn't matter too much. 

20 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Farragut is a big enough school to where it didn't matter too much. 

Let Barney educate you on what a new school can do to a good football program. Farragut since 2004. 2004 9-3, 2005 10-3, 2006 9-4, 2007 11-2, 2008 11-2 the first year HVA started with only a JV team, 2009 10-3,  2010 7-5 the first year it started to show with grades 9-11 being affected, 2011 7-4, 2012 3-7 The first year the feces hit the fan, 2013 6-5, 2014 4-6, 2015 10-2, 2016 14-1 ,2017 9-3.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Let Barney educate you on what a new school can do to a good football program. Farragut since 2004. 2004 9-3, 2005 10-3, 2006 9-4, 2007 11-2, 2008 11-2 the first year HVA started with only a JV team, 2009 10-3,  2010 7-5 the first year it started to show with grades 9-11 being affected, 2011 7-4, 2012 3-7 The first year the feces hit the fan, 2013 6-5, 2014 4-6, 2015 10-2, 2016 14-1 ,2017 9-3.

Barn, Farragut has never been what I would call a great program- good, but not great. I am sure HVA being built didn't help, but it isn't like Farragut never had any down years before that. They had a string of mediocre talent. It happens to all schools. Believe it or not it even happened to Murvil a few times pre-1998 :)

Edited by SweetScience

7 hours ago, SweetScience said:

If we come out playing like we did against CC, yes, we will get beat, no question. Can't help but think CC was a trap game though. A game sandwiched between a big win over a rival, and arguably the biggest rival on your schedule in Farragut. We better come out ready to go Friday night. 

You are so right Sweet. I told my wife that we looked like a team that had a bad week of practice and was very undisciplined during the first half. Things just went our way in the second half. 

I expect an OR team ready to play Friday. RWR!

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Barn, Farragut has never been what I would call a great program- good, but not great. I am sure HVA being built didn't help, but it isn't like Farragut never had any down years before that. They had a string of mediocre talent. It happens to all schools. Believe it or not it even happened to Murvil a few times pre-1998 :)

A lot of those loses in the good times were from Maryville two times a year. All I'm doing is showing you the trail of how they went down just for a while during the beginning of HVA until they recovered from a very sizable loss in enrollment.

4 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

A lot of those loses in the good times were from Maryville two times a year. All I'm doing is showing you the trail of how they went down just for a while during the beginning of HVA until they recovered from a very sizable loss in enrollment.

But they were still a reasonably bigger sized school. When they won 5A weren't they technically a 6A school? Not trying to argue, I am sure it did have a little to do, but it isn't like HVA has been producing great players by any means that would've made a huge impact on a Farragut team besides maybe Eskridge.