The Gutts @ The Ridge

SweetScience

Holy....I just got off of Farragut's website and whoever does their website is really good. They have just about any information you wanna know about Farragut football, past players, records, scores, you name it. I wish whoever does ours would do the same. This is my favorite week of the year in the regular season. Some of my fondest memories as an OR fan born and raised are against the Admirals. 

One of my first memories was a heartbreaking loss in 82 or 83, I was only about 4-5 years old but can still remember being heartbroken as a young kid. Probably the fondest memory I have of the OR/Farragut rivalry was in Gaddis' 1st year in 1988. We had just scored to make it 13-12, and instead of electing to tie it, Gaddis went for 2. I will never forget #33 Joe White on an end around and spinning off of a hit into the EZ as time expired and we won 14-13. Unbelievable game.

3 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Holy....I just got off of Farragut's website and whoever does their website is really good. They have just about any information you wanna know about Farragut football, past players, records, scores, you name it. I wish whoever does ours would do the same. This is my favorite week of the year in the regular season. Some of my fondest memories as an OR fan born and raised are against the Admirals. 

One of my first memories was a heartbreaking loss in 82 or 83, I was only about 4-5 years old but can still remember being heartbroken as a young kid. Probably the fondest memory I have of the OR/Farragut rivalry was in Gaddis' 1st year in 1988. We had just scored to make it 13-12, and instead of electing to tie it, Gaddis went for 2. I will never forget #33 Joe White on an end around and spinning off of a hit into the EZ as time expired and we won 14-13. Unbelievable game.

The loss to FHS you maybe talking about came in 1981. It was my senior year and we were two time State Champions on a 25 game winning streak. We went to Farragut and the returned the opening KO for a TD. One of my friends had the returner pinned along the sideline but failed to make the tackle. They went on to take over the game all night.

Now, the weird part of this story. My junior year at UTK,, I was sitting at at a bar and a dude sits besides me and we start talking. Turns out the guy was the KO returner for Farragut in 1981. He was a good guy but he also told me he was one of the Farragut students that broke the very large window where the steps from the first floor of the school to the gym were. The school is different now though.

RWR!

Breakdown:
From the 1970s until 2005, Farragut was only ever able to beat Oak Ridge 3 times. 1993 was the only year Gaddis lost to Farragut his first time at OR.
From 2006-2011, Farragut won every contest. 
2012-present, Neither team has been able to get a win on the road. 2012, OR won, 2013=Farragut, 2014=OR, 2015=Farragut, 2016=OR, 2017=Farragut. 

Farragut's only streak in the series came from 2006-2011 when they won 6 in a row. Since then, they have won every other one. To believe that the 2006-2011 streak hold any more importance than the 1983-1996 one is rather silly. The seniors for both teams were in 4th grade when Farragut was "winning every year." Since 2014, every kid who has graduated from either school holds a 2-2 record against the other. For the seniors at OR, Farragut leads their personal series 2-1. Also worth mentioning, Farragut won the 5A state championship in 2016. They went 14-1. Guess who gave them the one loss!

There is no streak. This has become the best rivalry for either school of late. First---when Farragut finally started winning some, then when Oak Ridge got back on track. The only "streak" in play (if you want to call it one) is the home team winning. 

But here is the thing. It doesn't matter who wins. Does anyone think that Farragut's state championship run was in any way diminished by them losing to Oak Ridge? No. It wasn't. When Farragut blanked OR for the first time OR was shut out since 1993, did Oak Ridge roll over and give up? No--they won the next 8 straight. This is a fun game for both communities. It's a nonregional game. It's just bragging rights for either school---that has traded back and forth for 7 straight years. 
2011=Farragut
2012=Oak Ridge
2013=Farragut
2014=Oak Ridge
2015=Farragut
2016=Oak Ridge
2017=Farragut
2018=? (I'm betting it'll be Oak Ridge... Call me crazy hahaha)

Edited by JNewman
  • Like 1

Just to clarify regarding the supposed Hardin Valley having an impact conspiracy, Farragut was a middle of the road team for decades prior to 2007. Around 2003/2004, Farragut got to where they were winning more. In 2007, Farragut was able to field a really special team for 3 straight years. Really special. 

No. Farragut was never a "juggernaut." 
From 1969 to 1992, TN only had 3 classes. Farragut was in AAA all of those years (at least once they began as a football program anyway. Not sure on the year they opened). I have Farragut season records as far back as 1991. In 1991 and 1992, Farragut came in third or fourth in their disctrict (4-AAA). Only the top two teams went to the playoffs in those days.
Farragut       Oak Ridge (by comparison)
1991 7-3            14-1 State Champs
1992 7-3               5-5
1993 10-2           11-3
1994 9-2              13-1
1995 11-3            10-2
1996 3-7              12-2
1997 5-6               8-4 
1998 8-4               10-3
1999 6-4              12-1 
2000 7-4               11-2
2001 2-8                6-4
2002 5-5                9-3
2003 5-5              12-2
2004 9-3               12-2
2005 10-3            13-2 State Runner up
2006 9-4                 5-5
2007 11-2               8-3
2008 11-2               4-6
2009 10-3               7-4
2010 7-5                  9-5
2011 7-4                 9-4
2012 3-7                 10-2
2013 6-5                 7-4
2014 4-6                 12-1
2015 10-2               10-2
2016 14-1 SC          8-3
2017 9-3                  10-3

2004 to 2009 was a pretty great run for Farragut. One they had never really had before. Not for that amount of time anyway. Prior to 2005, 1993-1995 was their only "steak" where they were pretty powerful. There was something far more important that happened in 2009 than Hardin Valley showing up. The TSSAA reclassified everyone. Farracgut had been in Region 2 5A with Oak Ridge for several years (also had Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, MicMinn County, Bradley Central, and a couple others). In 2008 vs 2009, Farragut changed opponents, classes, etc. Now they had Maryville, West, Bearden, Catholic, Lenoir City, and a couple others from 2009 until 2012. In 2013 through 2016, Farragut got put in 5A witha much friendlier region/district. That 3-7 team in 2012 saw Farragut play 6 district champions and 4 teams that played for a state title the year before. They lost to Maryville and Fulton (that was going to happen anyway). They lost Region champs Oak Ridge, Dobyns Bennett, and one other I can't think of at the moment. Looking at their schedule in the preseason--they only had 5 winnable games. They sort of gave up in the last two weeks and lost to weaker opponents. They should've gone 5-5 based on who they played that year alone. Farragut is on year 4 of what could be another great run. 

As for Hardin Valley, their impact on Farragut football (if at all) was minimal at best. The 2005 through 2009 years weren't the "standard". They were the historical anomaly. Much like the 2006-2009 years were an anomoly for Oak Ridge. 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:04 AM, SweetScience said:

If we come out playing like we did against CC, yes, we will get beat, no question. Can't help but think CC was a trap game though. A game sandwiched between a big win over a rival, and arguably the biggest rival on your schedule in Farragut. We better come out ready to go Friday night. 

I agree with you Sweets. It seems like we never play all that well against CC, and where it falls on our schedule hopefully led to the slow start. I'm just glad we woke up in the second half. I wonder what Gaddis said to them at halftime?

20 hours ago, SweetScience said:

But they were still a reasonably bigger sized school. When they won 5A weren't they technically a 6A school? Not trying to argue, I am sure it did have a little to do, but it isn't like HVA has been producing great players by any means that would've made a huge impact on a Farragut team besides maybe Eskridge.

You're correct Sweets. I don't think HVA had much of an impact but it doesn't matter either way because is rolling now!

11 hours ago, SweetScience said:

That WAS a great game and is a great memory. I actually thought history might repeat itself when Gaddis returned and faced Farragut in his first game. We got way behind and roared back and looked like we were moving the ball late in the game for what would've been a tying TD/PAT. I wonder if he would've gone for two again...but it wasn't to be so we'll never know.

7 hours ago, JNewman said:

Breakdown:
From the 1970s until 2005, Farragut was only ever able to beat Oak Ridge 3 times. 1993 was the only year Gaddis lost to Farragut his first time at OR.
From 2006-2011, Farragut won every contest. 
2012-present, Neither team has been able to get a win on the road. 2012, OR won, 2013=Farragut, 2014=OR, 2015=Farragut, 2016=OR, 2017=Farragut. 

Farragut's only streak in the series came from 2006-2011 when they won 6 in a row. Since then, they have won every other one. To believe that the 2006-2011 streak hold any more importance than the 1983-1996 one is rather silly. The seniors for both teams were in 4th grade when Farragut was "winning every year." Since 2014, every kid who has graduated from either school holds a 2-2 record against the other. For the seniors at OR, Farragut leads their personal series 2-1. Also worth mentioning, Farragut won the 5A state championship in 2016. They went 14-1. Guess who gave them the one loss!

There is no streak. This has become the best rivalry for either school of late. First---when Farragut finally started winning some, then when Oak Ridge got back on track. The only "streak" in play (if you want to call it one) is the home team winning. 

But here is the thing. It doesn't matter who wins. Does anyone think that Farragut's state championship run was in any way diminished by them losing to Oak Ridge? No. It wasn't. When Farragut blanked OR for the first time OR was shut out since 1993, did Oak Ridge roll over and give up? No--they won the next 8 straight. This is a fun game for both communities. It's a nonregional game. It's just bragging rights for either school---that has traded back and forth for 7 straight years. 
2011=Farragut
2012=Oak Ridge
2013=Farragut
2014=Oak Ridge
2015=Farragut
2016=Oak Ridge
2017=Farragut
2018=? (I'm betting it'll be Oak Ridge... Call me crazy hahaha)

Great and interesting post!

22 hours ago, SweetScience said:

But they were still a reasonably bigger sized school. When they won 5A weren't they technically a 6A school? Not trying to argue, I am sure it did have a little to do, but it isn't like HVA has been producing great players by any means that would've made a huge impact on a Farragut team besides maybe Eskridge.

No. I think technically they were 5A, which is why they were in 5A. Based on the Super 32 realignment Farragut was booted from 6A. So, no they weren't 6A due to the Super 32. Based on enrollments Farragut was one of the larger schools in 5A, yes, but not "technically" 6A based on the predetermined alignments for the year. The only reason they moved back up to 6A was because TSSAA did away with the Super 32.

edit: It's not like they were in the Super 32 and weaseled their way out. They had the 35th largest enrollment in 2016. TECHNICALLY still keeping them out of the Super 32. The TSSAA changed that by realizing the Super 32 was dumb and went back to a more evenly split alignment using the 2016 enrollment figures changing the Super 32 to 49. So the 2016 team was in an enrollment used to determine future 6A classification, yes, but then again, they were still 5A based on how the classification realignment.

Either way, the 1700 figure for students at Farragut is vastly different than the 2100+ I was there with. 

Edited by ihavenofriendzz

27 minutes ago, rebelsrecruit said:

I believe the Kittens walk away the winner. I haven't seen OR this year but I did see Farragut's first game. Farragut looked OK against a terrible Bradley Central team. From what I've heard Farragut is still trying a 2 QB system. Not sure why. Seems like they had a really good QB last year so I don't know why they are doing a 2 QB system. Anyway, I think OR will walk all over the admirals. I was wanting to see this game but I have to watch the battle of Blount County. Gotta see which blount county team recruited the best this year.

The 2 QBs have different strengths - one more of pocket passer and the other more of runner.  Combine that with efficient receivers, two really good running backs, and healthy line upfront and you have a thriving offensive machine.  I'd say they play 2 QB's depending on the defense's strengths and also who is hot at the time.  The "runner" is also a senior and it could be that they were giving him some quality reps - seeing as they have blown out the first three teams they have played.

I think this one is tight until the end.  Hard to beat OR in the Ship.  Series has favored home team.  Ads looking strong so far, but against weak to so-so teams.  As region 1-6A reps... I'll be rooting for the Ads.  However, I think the Cats prevail at home 28 to 27.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Thank you for fully explaining that JNewman. My exact words about HVA having that much of an impact on Farragut. You just explained it a lot better. 

There were separate feeder programs for the Hawks and Ads too... HVA may have grabbed a few talented kids here and there but no way they caused Farragut to go 3-7.  Bearden, Maryville, or Catholic would have had a better chance of stealing away talented kids from Farragut as opposed to upstart HVA.