Marshall County hosts Maplewood

Lead

9 hours ago, rnorris92 said:

So did he take a knee or attempt to take a knee?  That is the problem I have with your comment bleacher.  If he attempted but did not take a knee he is then fair game to tackle, if he did indeed take a knee (not attempt) then it most definitely should have been a penalty on the Tigers.  But to say they submarined to get the ball, I hate to break it too you, its all legal and part of the game.  They were playing until the final seconds run off the clock.   

From the video on NFHS Network here is what I saw:

1: On the next to the last play Maplewood had just made a first down on the Marshall County 21 yard line with less than a minute to play. MW lines up in the "victory formation" to run the clock out. MC surges aggressively as the ball is snapped, pushing the O-line back, knocking the MW QB (4) down while trying to take a knee. MC calls its final time out with 43 seconds left on the game clock.

2: On the last play MW lines up in the "victory formation" again.  On the snapped MC pushes the O-line back again as MW QB is trying to take a knee.  An officials blows whistle as the QB backs from the piles thinking that the QB knee was down. But QB runs away from the pile towards the MC sideline and is pursued by the MC defense. To be clear, the MW QB is not running full speed. He is just sort of stride skipping as player might do when going into the end zone after having outran the defense.

Just before the QB runs out of bounds he stiff arms the facemask a MC DB (15) who is trying to tackle him. The MC DB retaliates, and three of his teams members surround the MW QB and begin pushing him. That is when players from MW show up and a bit of a scuffle ensues. It last for less than ten seconds. Not the riot some people make it out to be.

Some might say that Marshall County could have just seceded they game after the last Maplewood first down was made deep in their territory.  Some may also say that there was no need to stiff arm the DB. I guess there's enough blame to go around. Like most things in life, it's not all that one-sided.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

I get your point about playing to last second, but if you're losing 28-14 it's no need for it. Now people would complain if Maplewood would have threw a bomb for touchdown instead. But if game was out reach you don't even attempt to tackle the QB, who you know is taking a knee.

30 seconds to 1 min left in a high school game can be an eternity.  I'm not saying Marshall County would have won, but a lot of things can happen in that time frame so why not play until the final seconds tick off the clock.  Remember, they were only down by 2 tds (scores) which is easy to make up in high school.  Also, if the quarterback did not take a knee then he is fair game.  If he throws a bomb for a touchdown then that's what happens.  Its all part of it.  But the point I was making was that if the quarterback didn't take a knee, he was fair game and also, swiping at the ball and lunging forward to create a turnover is legal and anything could have happened. 

4 hours ago, rnorris92 said:

30 seconds to 1 min left in a high school game can be an eternity.  I'm not saying Marshall County would have won, but a lot of things can happen in that time frame so why not play until the final seconds tick off the clock.  Remember, they were only down by 2 tds (scores) which is easy to make up in high school.  Also, if the quarterback did not take a knee then he is fair game.  If he throws a bomb for a touchdown then that's what happens.  Its all part of it.  But the point I was making was that if the quarterback didn't take a knee, he was fair game and also, swiping at the ball and lunging forward to create a turnover is legal and anything could have happened. 

Maplewood had that game won! What Marshall County did while Maplewood was in victory formation wasnt cool at all. The fact people trying to justify it that's crazy. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if one of Marshall County fans didn't come on here and call Maplewood kids thugs and idiots.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Maplewood had that game won! What Marshall County did while Maplewood was in victory formation wasnt cool at all. The fact people trying to justify it that's crazy. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if one of Marshall County fans didn't come on here and call Maplewood kids thugs and idiots.

In your opinion, Maplewood had that game won.  If you think otherwise, then I agree to disagree with you.  I have seen enough high school football that I have seen it before, but that is my experience.  I cannot speak on your behalf.  Also, it is your opinion that what Marshall County did was not cool.  But remember it is legal.  Once the ball is snapped, you go for creating turnovers however you got to do it, in a legal way.  And please show me on here where I called the kids from Maplewood either thugs or idiots. I would never do that and I am a Marshall County fan, so there is one.  

7 hours ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Ok Firebird I will apologize for that but in my honest opinion, you weren’t there last year when they came after us WOMEN and a player and the vulgar things they said to me! I kept my mouth shut and videoed it I’ve never seen any team act like that before. I just so wished you understood how upsetting it was and now we have to worry every time we play I guess. So I guess you can say I’m keeping my guard up and acting defensively. Everyone can say that was last November but until you’ve been thru it you just don’t know.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lovemytigers3 said:

Ok Firebird I will apologize for that but in my honest opinion, you weren’t there last year when they came after us WOMEN and a player and the vulgar things they said to me! I kept my mouth shut and videoed it I’ve never seen any team act like that before. I just so wished you understood how upsetting it was and now we have to worry every time we play I guess. So I guess you can say I’m keeping my guard up and acting defensively. Everyone can say that was last November but until you’ve been thru it you just don’t know.

I understand you had a bad experience last year. But this year it wasn't Maplewood who started what happened Friday that's all I'm saying.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:53 AM, Lovemytigers3 said:

His knee did not touch the ground- it looked from the bleachers like he did. But after watching film he went Hal way down. I’ve seen this before at several schools we’ve played. It’s a legal play to tackle him. I know we can all disagree but Bleachers calling me a liar, I’m not going to lie when there’s film to prove it.

But, and I have no dog in this fight, if your film has audio you can hear about 10 whistles immediately after the “near knee” so the play was dead regardless.  All actions from both teams should have stopped. 

1 minute ago, VolForLyfe1954 said:

It is painfully obvious that the salty losers from MC tried to hurt Bobo during a knee... Terrible sportsmanship from the MC players to get in his face and talk trash and shove him. Bobo's actions were justified and this was totally provoked by the classless Marshall County team. Should be punishment for MC's dirty play.

Bunch of freaking spoiled brats that don't know how to take a loss. Surprising considering their record for this year. Just jealous that maplewood significantly better.

43 minutes ago, VolForLyfe1954 said:

Bunch of freaking spoiled brats that don't know how to take a loss. Surprising considering their record for this year. Just jealous that maplewood significantly better.

Its hard not to know how to take a loss when you havent been doing much loosing over the last 5 years. Nobody is jealous of Maplewood. They have had a good team for a few years now.  MC is having a down year. It happens. Y'all won. Congrats.

Edited by leadfarmer

8 hours ago, VolForLyfe1954 said:

Nobody is jealous about it- sure I wished our season was better but Maplewood has a great team this year. I could tell last year they were on the upswing! I’ve never said any of this is why we lost- they played better and refs were way better than last time we played. We’ve beaten them 3 times previously and never had an issue til playoffs last year. You have your opinion and I have mine, like it or not it’s a legal play- we’ve had it done before and caused a fumble! Even if his knee had touched the ground it would still be legal! Nobody trying to hurt Qb just hoping to cause a fumble! Several high school coaches in my family, seen it all in my 48 years! I guess you defend the player punching our coach as well, could have pressed charges, cops wanted him to. But didn’t want to stir more up. Done !