Meigs County vs. McMinn Central

TigerNation

3 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

I kinda thought we had a slowish start at Cumberland Gap. I do wish we had a game where we had to come from behind though. Really see how bad they want it.

We have 6 seniors this year.  They play their guts out.  It will be nice to be at home.  Would like to see our boys play a turnover free game.  Hoping for the best.

4 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

We have 6 seniors this year.  They play their guts out.  It will be nice to be at home.  Would like to see our boys play a turnover free game.  Hoping for the best.

Wish you guys the best of luck man. I know it has had to have been a hard season last year and the start of this one.

3 hours ago, TigerNation said:

DANG! Hoping we’d have a little something to give our guys some extra juice. I’ve been waiting on us to have a bad game or a slow start. 

Do you know how this became a rivalry? I believe it started gaining traction in the early nineties, but didn’t know if there was anything before that. 

Heard a story a few years ago.  In the 60's Meigs was playing Etowah. The score was 13-7 Meigs. Time was about to expire and Meigs had the ball on the one yard line. Meigs went for the TD instead of taking a knee and fumbled. Etowah returned it for a TD to win the game.

Anyone know if that is true?

Meigs County dominated this rivalry all the way through the 90's and mid-2000's. Unfortunately, there was a period between 2008 and 2014 where we only beat Central 1 time (dark times in Decatur). However, since then, we've been on the winning end for the last couple of years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hope logcabinman's son has a great game and a healthy, successful senior season,

.........but I hope we win by 60.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MarsBlackmon said:

Meigs County dominated this rivalry all the way through the 90's and mid-2000's. Unfortunately, there was a period between 2008 and 2014 where we only beat Central 1 time (dark times in Decatur). However, since then, we've been on the winning end for the last couple of years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hope logcabinman's son has a great game and a healthy, successful senior season,

Thank you, but please no 60 point spread.

On 9/17/2018 at 2:13 PM, Charger64 said:

Heard a story a few years ago.  In the 60's Meigs was playing Etowah. The score was 13-7 Meigs. Time was about to expire and Meigs had the ball on the one yard line. Meigs went for the TD instead of taking a knee and fumbled. Etowah returned it for a TD to win the game.

Anyone know if that is true?

This is true. Sounds crazy, but I have heard this story as well.

6 hours ago, MarsBlackmon said:

Unfortunately Central was unable to ever do anything with the teams from 08-14.

44 minutes ago, HasBeenHero said:

Unfortunately Central was unable to ever do anything with the teams from 08-14.

The 2014 team was pretty good. Made it to quarterfinals and lost to Notre Dame. Had some talented players and a good senior class (Davis, Knight, Dahle, etc.).

I agree though. I mean heck the 2011 team that beat Meigs went 1-9. We were literally their only win. Lol like I said: dark times in Decatur.

11 hours ago, MarsBlackmon said:

The 2014 team was pretty good. Made it to quarterfinals and lost to Notre Dame. Had some talented players and a good senior class (Davis, Knight, Dahle, etc.).

I agree though. I mean heck the 2011 team that beat Meigs went 1-9. We were literally their only win. Lol like I said: dark times in Decatur.

Yes, this was a good year.  We had a group of seniors that stuck together, and our athletes played.  I will say, even though you guys gave us the loss last year, I seen some fight in our boys against in that game.  Hoping we just come out and compete.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, logcabinman said:

I know in the around 1990 to about 95' MCentral and Meigs had great programs.  I think the basketball rivalry kinda helped with this rivalry as well.  I did feel we played hard at Meigs last year, just can not overcome our own mistakes.

I believe you are right on this one. A good rivalry never hurt anyone. I'm certain it was going in the early 90s not sure how far before that it began.