Reclassification?

ocac

18 hours ago, midtnmale said:

I generally like this idea. Maybe have 5 classes, though. With the privates back in five would work well and allow for some expansion.

By adding the private schools back in and having 4 classifications you would have roughly 90 teams in each classification.  If you divided that into 16 districts across the state it would give each district 5 or 6 teams.  It could be that you only take the district champion instead of the top 2 teams.  This will never happen because today's society wants to make everything easy instead of saying you need to work harder and life is not always fair.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, cbg said:

Why not go with the following for football, basketball and baseball

Eliminate D1 & D2 and place everyone back together.  All individual sports (tennis, track & field, wrestling, golf, etc...) will only have one division

All schools are placed in a district and only the top 2 teams in the district advance to the playoffs for football.  The football state championship games would be on Thanksgiving Day!  

Teams that have 7 wins and do not qualify for the playoffs will be allowed to participate in a bowl game the Saturday after the regular season ends.

Class A  Small public schools and no private schools

Class AA  public schools and private schools that do not offer any type of financial aid

Class AAA public schools and private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAA public schools and private schools that offer financial aid

I like this idea EXCEPT put privates with privates.  When I made my comment, I said if we have to have 6 classes.  Someone else says, 4 public and 2 private.  That would be 75 +/- for each class in D-I and D-II would only have 25 +/- for each class.  TOO FEW FOR 2 CLASSES in D-II.

4 classes for public and 1 for private.  RUMORS ALL AROUND!

I don’t see it changing from it's current configuration, being number of classes public and private, for one reason in my mind. Money. I can’t see them cutting out any classes that would eliminate any source of revenue for the governing body. Less classes equals less play-off/championship games which equals less $....it makes the world go round.

9 hours ago, cbg said:

By adding the private schools back in and having 4 classifications you would have roughly 90 teams in each classification.  If you divided that into 16 districts across the state it would give each district 5 or 6 teams.  It could be that you only take the district champion instead of the top 2 teams.  This will never happen because today's society wants to make everything easy instead of saying you need to work harder and life is not always fair.

Hey old fart,

If the younger generation gets trophies for participating, who is giving them those trophies? It's you old farts who complain about young people having it so easy. 

10 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Hey old fart,

If the younger generation gets trophies for participating, who is giving them those trophies? It's you old farts who complain about young people having it so easy. 

It will be a cold day downstairs before you ever see me pass out a participation trophy.  The YMCA is the one responsible for starting the participation trophy bonanza and we now have two generations (Parents & Students) that feel everyone should be rewarded even if they couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sheppy said:

I like this idea EXCEPT put privates with privates.  When I made my comment, I said if we have to have 6 classes.  Someone else says, 4 public and 2 private.  That would be 75 +/- for each class in D-I and D-II would only have 25 +/- for each class.  TOO FEW FOR 2 CLASSES in D-II.

Why put the private schools in another division?  What about the open zoned, pay a school tax to attend a school outside your county and magnet public schools?  Again this is going to hurt some peoples feelings but the private schools are doing nothing they were not doing in the 60's, 70's & 80's and the public schools competed well.  The difference is the "PARTICIPATION" group took control and for whatever reason wants to send the message that the public schools are not good enough to compete with the private schools.  I for one don't understand why other states have no trouble playing against private schools but in Tennessee we feel that it's not fair.  In Texas they have a private school league because all but a few private schools are not good enough to compete with the public schools.  Texas does allow the private schools to play with the public schools if the private schools wish to join the UIL (Public School Association)

16 hours ago, sheppy said:

4 classes for public and 2 for private is good. 6 classes is still a lot but it becomes more competitive and increases the size of the regions and allows for top 4 making the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Poundtherock23 said:

I don’t see it changing from it's current configuration, being number of classes public and private, for one reason in my mind. Money. I can’t see them cutting out any classes that would eliminate any source of revenue for the governing body. Less classes equals less play-off/championship games which equals less $....it makes the world go round.

How are they making money when the stadiums are at best 40 percent filled for the state championship games.  I'm sure the TSSAA pays Tech to use the facilities.

19 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

How are they making money when the stadiums are at best 40 percent filled for the state championship games.  I'm sure the TSSAA pays Tech to use the facilities.

Well I did say playoff games too, the play-off games is mainly my thinking. If they cut out a couple of classes, one from public and one from private, that’s a lot of gate money in play-offs and two less championship games. Yes you are right the championship games are at best 40% filled, but you pay one gate for the day any how. I’m sure TSSAA pays Tech something, but probably next to nothing. The host cities submitt bids to host the championship games every few years, so I’m sure they get a great deal on the stadium use.

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Why put the private schools in another division?  What about the open zoned, pay a school tax to attend a school outside your county and magnet public schools?  Again this is going to hurt some peoples feelings but the private schools are doing nothing they were not doing in the 60's, 70's & 80's and the public schools competed well.  The difference is the "PARTICIPATION" group took control and for whatever reason wants to send the message that the public schools are not good enough to compete with the private schools.  I for one don't understand why other states have no trouble playing against private schools but in Tennessee we feel that it's not fair.  In Texas they have a private school league because all but a few private schools are not good enough to compete with the public schools.  Texas does allow the private schools to play with the public schools if the private schools wish to join the UIL (Public School Association)

The private schools that give financial aid to players will NEVER be back with the public schools. The TSSAA fought a lengthy court battle with a very prominent power house private school a while back over this issue. Bad taste in mouthes all around, it’ll never be the way it was.