Reclassification?

ocac

17 minutes ago, Vols2016 said:

4 classes would kill some of these single a teams whose enrollment is around 160 that would make single a cutoff around 500. 500 vs 160 is a huge difference. 4 classes sounds really good to you guys with 1500+ enrollment. 

Such is life. There used to be only three classes in football, period. 

It's this kind of sentiment that has three classes in Division II when there is fewer than 49 schools, which about average number of schools in each class in Division I. Or perhaps Division I should have about 18 classes to make it the same ratio as Division II

Edited by midtnmale
omission

26 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

Current

Class 1A 52 0-375
Class 2A 48 376-556
Class 3A 48 557-821
Class 4A 47 822-1102
Class 5A 54 1103-1508
Class 6A 49 1509 and greater

New Idea

1A  74  0-480

2A  74  481-820

3A  74  821-1240

4a  75  1241 and greater

Very Doable in my opinion.

Makes sense and will NEVER be adopted because it does NOT provide for the amount of games the T$$AA can make MONEY on.

Follow the money as it is ALL the T$$AA cares about.

FOOTBALL pays for over 90% of the T$$AA's budget.  Can't have all those folks paying for their own hotel rooms and the like at their quarterly meetings and mini vacations.

BTW WHO actually sees their financial statements every year?

7 hours ago, OldandBusted said:

Current

Class 1A 52 0-375
Class 2A 48 376-556
Class 3A 48 557-821
Class 4A 47 822-1102
Class 5A 54 1103-1508
Class 6A 49 1509 and greater

New Idea

1A  74  0-480

2A  74  481-820

3A  74  821-1240

4a  75  1241 and greater

Very Doable in my opinion.

How are u going to align regions have some with 8 -10 teams some with 7. That will destroy out of region games. Or go to 16 districts like basketball.

7 hours ago, midtnmale said:

Such is life. There used to be only three classes in football, period. 

It's this kind of sentiment that has three classes in Division II when there is fewer than 49 schools, which about average number of schools in each class in Division I. Or perhaps Division I should have about 18 classes to make it the same ratio as Division II

That was also before a lot of schools districts started consolidating into bigger schools. 6 classes seems to work well. Seems like u larger schools just want to play teams smaller than u. 

39 minutes ago, Vols2016 said:

That was also before a lot of schools districts started consolidating into bigger schools. 6 classes seems to work well. Seems like u larger schools just want to play teams smaller than u. 

Six classes works poorly. Too many regions with six or fewer schools in them. This then forces schools to work harder to get out-of-region games scheduled in order to get a full slate of ten games for the regular season. And since many schools don't want to play teams in the regular season that they may see in the playoff, they end of playing teams out of their class anyway.

By the way, why do you assume that I am aligned with a large school?  I primarily follow Maplewood, a school that's 4A now, and would likely be 3A in a four classification system.

I’ve been in favor of 5 classes on the public side and 2 on the private side. I think the numbers might work better with 5 classes. It would give roughly each class 58-60 schools in each class which would give each region around 7 teams give or take. It will also accommodate growth of new schools being built in the future. I’m alright with 6 but the tssaa could cut it back to 5. 

Ultimately, a day is coming and fast when we will need 6 classes. Tennessee is growing and new schools are being built year after year. We are not going to get rid of classes, that is nonsense to even say we should, because TSSAA will make less money. Within 10 years we'll be at 7 public classes and 3 private classes probably. Feel free to bask in the wonderful member berries of days long ago when you were tougher than these millennials and walked to school in the snow everyday, and you could buy a Moon Pie for a nickel and there were 3 classes and Brentwood Academy won it every single year, but those days are gone like it or not. 

56 minutes ago, PaPaLegba said:

Ultimately, a day is coming and fast when we will need 6 classes. Tennessee is growing and new schools are being built year after year. We are not going to get rid of classes, that is nonsense to even say we should, because TSSAA will make less money. Within 10 years we'll be at 7 public classes and 3 private classes probably. Feel free to bask in the wonderful member berries of days long ago when you were tougher than these millennials and walked to school in the snow everyday, and you could buy a Moon Pie for a nickel and there were 3 classes and Brentwood Academy won it every single year, but those days are gone like it or not. 

Only in 2A because they would never move up.  Only had 3 financial aid kids back then not 50.  

1 hour ago, PaPaLegba said:

Agreed with the general idea here. I do believe the state was about 15-20 years early on expanding to 6 classes, but it’s definitely not about to start retracting anytime soon. They might bump DII back  down to 2 classes eventually, but that’s about the only realistic retraction scenario I see. 

Also, the state has long outgrown 3 classes. Suggesting a return to that is crazy talk. I’m surprised basketball, baseball, and softball haven’t expanded to at least 4. 

I still think 5 was/is a good number for this state, but 6 is what we have, and is probably best going forward.