ORHS needs to replace Sevier Co. next season. Who do you want to see OR play?

WillieTheWildcats

There are always rumors surrounding why good teams year to year do not play. And each side of it proclaims that their team has reached out to such and such team "many times"---but that the other team is too scared to play them. I played for Gaddis the first time around. He isn't afraid of any team. Scheduling conflicts may arise where two teams do not have an open date to coincides. That is almost always the case when two solid programs can't play. (Sorry Murvul and Alcoa. Oak Ridge isn't askeered of you LOL. Some fans may be. But that's how it goes. And neither Maryville nor Alcoa are afraid to play OR. C'mon guys! Really?).

As for who I would like. In addition to losing Sevier County (from the schedule), I would like to also drop Hardin Valley. Karns is a region game (or I would LOVE to drop them too!) Fulton may not opt up next season (5A)---but regardless---that's a game we need to play every year. So---in order that I would prefer---should we only need to replace Sevier County.

1) Alcoa. Gary Rankin and Joe Gaddis know each other well. They ran into one another a few times back in the 1990s when Rankin was at Riverdale. 
2) Maryville. Nothing against the Scott Blade era Wildcats. But a Blade led team vs a Gaddis led team are two different animals. OR and Maryville played 6 times the four years Blade was head coach at OR (2009-2012). Maryville won all six. Of those 6 contests, Maryville blew OR out 3 times. The other three were a bit more contested. Problem was---none of those Oak Ridge teams honestly believed they could win against Maryville. That plays a huge role in a high school game. The goal during the Blade era was to only lose to Maryville twice (Once in the regular season and once in the playoffs. A potential win was simply not fathomable). A Gaddis led team would not think that way. So yeah---I would like to see Maryville back on the schedule. And even if Oak Ridge cannot beat the Rebels---I am fine with that. The difference between the 2009-2012 era now is why I want this one. I would rather see the Wildcats getting off the bus ready to win than getting off the bus to lose. Just my opinion on the matter.
3) Greenville. Granted---next year's Greenville team may not be as potent as the last few. But Greeneville is always good. 
4) Oakland, Blackman, or any really good Rutherford County team. 
5) Cleveland, Ooltewah, Bradley Central, Rhea County, or any good Chatanooga area team. 
6) Any good team that runs formations we are likely to see late in the playoffs. Classification and history do not matter for this. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JNewman said:

There are always rumors surrounding why good teams year to year do not play. And each side of it proclaims that their team has reached out to such and such team "many times"---but that the other team is too scared to play them. I played for Gaddis the first time around. He isn't afraid of any team. Scheduling conflicts may arise where two teams do not have an open date to coincides. That is almost always the case when two solid programs can't play. (Sorry Murvul and Alcoa. Oak Ridge isn't askeered of you LOL. Some fans may be. But that's how it goes. And neither Maryville nor Alcoa are afraid to play OR. C'mon guys! Really?).

As for who I would like. In addition to losing Sevier County (from the schedule), I would like to also drop Hardin Valley. Karns is a region game (or I would LOVE to drop them too!) Fulton may not opt up next season (5A)---but regardless---that's a game we need to play every year. So---in order that I would prefer---should we only need to replace Sevier County.

1) Alcoa. Gary Rankin and Joe Gaddis know each other well. They ran into one another a few times back in the 1990s when Rankin was at Riverdale. 
2) Maryville. Nothing against the Scott Blade era Wildcats. But a Blade led team vs a Gaddis led team are two different animals. OR and Maryville played 6 times the four years Blade was head coach at OR (2009-2012). Maryville won all six. Of those 6 contests, Maryville blew OR out 3 times. The other three were a bit more contested. Problem was---none of those Oak Ridge teams honestly believed they could win against Maryville. That plays a huge role in a high school game. The goal during the Blade era was to only lose to Maryville twice (Once in the regular season and once in the playoffs. A potential win was simply not fathomable). A Gaddis led team would not think that way. So yeah---I would like to see Maryville back on the schedule. And even if Oak Ridge cannot beat the Rebels---I am fine with that. The difference between the 2009-2012 era now is why I want this one. I would rather see the Wildcats getting off the bus ready to win than getting off the bus to lose. Just my opinion on the matter.
3) Greenville. Granted---next year's Greenville team may not be as potent as the last few. But Greeneville is always good. 
5) Cleveland, Ooltewah, Bradley Central, Rhea County, or any good Chatanooga area team. 
6) Any good team that runs formations we are likely to see late in the playoffs. Classification and history do not matter for this. 

While I don't share your thoughts about playing Alcoa (Gaddis may think differently), I do like your post.

4 hours ago, JNewman said:

Are you saying Blade didn't even expect to beat Maryville and that attitude rubbed off on the kids? 

20 minutes ago, bounder said:

Well LOD  you know like they say "it ain't over till the fat lady signs" but. I doubt they'll play next year. 

But if you come up to the ridge, I'll feed you ribs and take you to Big Ed's for pizza and adult beverages. 

LOD come see us.  I'll show you where to park so you don't have to do the steps.  You have to wait till Bounder gives out the shirts and gets off the field.  Then, we will go to Ed's, and I will chip in on those pizzas and beverages.