HVA at DB 2018

RebelAtHeart

As an OR fan who loves the tradition that both OR and DB have amassed through the years, I really feel for DB and their fans who love their football program. It seems to be a sad state of affairs for a once (well, still regardless of this year) storied program. OR went through this when Stevens coached. It took people to literally stop coming to the football games for our administration to completely clean house, but they finally did to get it somewhat back on track. We are still not where we used to be, but at least we still have a good football team. Maybe that's what it will take at DB, meaning for the fans to completely just stop coming to the football games for the admins to make serious changes. I seriously hate to see what's going on there, because I have the utmost respect for the Dobyns Bennett football program and their fans. From Wildcat nation, I wish you guys the best of luck to get it turned back around to where DB should be.

Edited by SweetScience

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

I've heard HVA is hot or cold with their passing game. If that's so then I don't see how they could be anything but hot against DB. The question is how much of the game will HVA waste trying to run the ball. As for the home field advantage that is a total myth. Most of those upset loses have happened right there at J. Fred. I'd say the top 5 worst games I've seen DB play has been at home. I'd say this game is a toss up.

Once again Waco was the voice of reason with his prediction for this game.  Possibly the only DB fan to consider this a possible loss - well maybe Batman saw this possible scenario.  Now they all want to fire the school board, the AD, the coach, and his grandmother!  Me thinks the Hawks were a little better than the DB faithful assumed - better watch out or Mo West and Jeff Co might pile on too.  Oh and send your game plan to the Bulldogs please!

HVA ended with around 280yds passing with 4 TD's through the air and 190yds rushing with 1 TD.  #2, #3, #7, and #10 played lights out all night.  Apart from an end-of-first-half heave in the end zone that led to the only turnover, the Hawks' O looked pretty strong - especially looking at the size of the Indians' front line.  More impressively the Hawks D finally figured out where #30 was running and held the Tribe to 160yds on the ground and 120yds in the air.  Throw in 3 sacks, an interception, and the absence of the band parents after the half and the Tribe didn't stand a chance in the second half.  Key stat of course was the 35-17 on the scoreboard that was immediately turned off at the sound of the final buzzer. 

"Hate to see a giant tumble" - said no rock slinging King David ever!  IMO... DB is getting what they deserve after years of pillaging the county for top athletes and then turning around and bludgeoning the mediocre teams that they left in their wake only to lose to real competition in the playoffs.  Humble pie for all those that saw this game as an automatic.  Hoping the momentum and underdog status continues to drive the Hawks through post-season play!

42 minutes ago, RebelAtHeart said:

"Hate to see a giant tumble" - said no rock slinging King David ever!  IMO... DB is getting what they deserve after years of pillaging the county for top athletes and then turning around and bludgeoning the mediocre teams that they left in their wake only to lose to real competition in the playoffs.  Humble pie for all those that saw this game as an automatic.  Hoping the momentum and underdog status continues to drive the Hawks through post-season play!

Wow, that comes across a little harsh.    During the years DB plays Tri-cities patsies it is because the TSSAA mandated those games.     Of course when you are playing much smaller county schools you are going to generally win, but you have to play who you are told to play.

55 minutes ago, RebelAtHeart said:

Once again Waco was the voice of reason with his prediction for this game.  Possibly the only DB fan to consider this a possible loss - well maybe Batman saw this possible scenario.  Now they all want to fire the school board, the AD, the coach, and his grandmother!  Me thinks the Hawks were a little better than the DB faithful assumed - better watch out or Mo West and Jeff Co might pile on too.  Oh and send your game plan to the Bulldogs please!

HVA ended with around 280yds passing with 4 TD's through the air and 190yds rushing with 1 TD.  #2, #3, #7, and #10 played lights out all night.  Apart from an end-of-first-half heave in the end zone that led to the only turnover, the Hawks' O looked pretty strong - especially looking at the size of the Indians' front line.  More impressively the Hawks D finally figured out where #30 was running and held the Tribe to 160yds on the ground and 120yds in the air.  Throw in 3 sacks, an interception, and the absence of the band parents after the half and the Tribe didn't stand a chance in the second half.  Key stat of course was the 35-17 on the scoreboard that was immediately turned off at the sound of the final buzzer. 

I doubt anyone "really" thought this game was an automatic win for DB.I mean anyone who has seen a little football this year in east Tennessee and maybe a DB game or two .I'll really be surprised if DB doesn't win these last two however.Now I've been wrong many times.Take last Saturday,I really didn't know Auburn sucked that bad and thought they would probably beat Tennessee by atleast  10.I was wrong and if Tennessee beats Alabama this week,I'll be wrong two weeks straight about the Vols but very happy again.Best of luck to HVA in the post season .

52 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Wow, that comes across a little harsh.    During the years DB plays Tri-cities patsies it is because the TSSAA mandated those games.     Of course when you are playing much smaller county schools you are going to generally win, but you have to play who you are told to play.

My issue was not that DB chose to play the weaker schools but that they "recruited away" talent from those same schools reducing the chance for said schools to win against DB and then bragging about how good they were because they destroyed them.  My harshness is toward the arrogance that has been DB for so many years.  When all they had was talent oozing the hallways - they still went out and brought in talent from outside the city.  One of their current starters came from Gate City... another lives is Gray (Boone territory)... and I believe several are from Colonial Heights (historically South territory).  Even bringing in outside talent to one of the biggest schools in the state they turn out 2-6 results.  Impressive to me is when you take mediocre or limited talent - or at least the kids that are rightfully within your zone - and turn out championship performance.  DB has become the complete opposite... tons of potential with little bang.  And apparently they are too proud to admit what the problem is... even though most of their fans here see it clearly.

I do hate it for the kids that bust their butts and get nothing in return.  But after years of watching my alma mater get pounced by DB... when we never had anything near the talent pool of Kingsport... it has been refreshing to finally see them experience the losing side.  Who knows... maybe this bump in their storied history will somehow make them better (clean house).  Meanwhile, I am sure I am not the only one from South, North, Central, East, Boone, or Volunteer that enjoys seeing them struggle.

I'll extend the players all my support and sympathy, but I'll laugh as the arrogant fools running the ship burn it to the ground!

17 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Any chance your grandson could attend that new Sullivan Co HS?    No idea what it will be like in terms of sports but it might be worth a look.

He could, but it's out of the question. He's not leaving his friends that he's known and went to school with ever since he's been going to school to go somewhere else for something sports related, no matter how far the D-B program were to fall.

6 hours ago, RebelAtHeart said:

My issue was not that DB chose to play the weaker schools but that they "recruited away" talent from those same schools reducing the chance for said schools to win against DB and then bragging about how good they were because they destroyed them.  My harshness is toward the arrogance that has been DB for so many years.  When all they had was talent oozing the hallways - they still went out and brought in talent from outside the city.  One of their current starters came from Gate City... another lives is Gray (Boone territory)... and I believe several are from Colonial Heights (historically South territory).  Even bringing in outside talent to one of the biggest schools in the state they turn out 2-6 results.  Impressive to me is when you take mediocre or limited talent - or at least the kids that are rightfully within your zone - and turn out championship performance.  DB has become the complete opposite... tons of potential with little bang.  And apparently they are too proud to admit what the problem is... even though most of their fans here see it clearly.

I do hate it for the kids that bust their butts and get nothing in return.  But after years of watching my alma mater get pounced by DB... when we never had anything near the talent pool of Kingsport... it has been refreshing to finally see them experience the losing side.  Who knows... maybe this bump in their storied history will somehow make them better (clean house).  Meanwhile, I am sure I am not the only one from South, North, Central, East, Boone, or Volunteer that enjoys seeing them struggle.

I'll extend the players all my support and sympathy, but I'll laugh as the arrogant fools running the ship burn it to the ground!

A lot of what you say is correct, some of it is pure BS driven by your hate for DB because your school (most likely South) always got curb stomped. No DB never chose to play the "weaker schools" as blazer has explained to you. DB has NEVER recruited players from other schools. The TSSAA has looked into it more than once after receiving baseless complaints. No evidence. There haven't been that many students transfer in that play sports of any kind. As a matter of fact, I bet if you bothered to check you'd find more students that play sports have transferred out of DB to the weaker county schools. If not more you'll find an almost equal number. The players that transfer in or out is by their own choice or their parents. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

11 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I know that was meant in jest but you have no idea how many band parents would love it if that happened for real...

You might find this hard to believe but I read it on the DB band Facebook page after the second game this season. Some of the band parents were complaining because the band stopped playing while DB had the ball. Lafe Cook explained that the DB coach had ask them not to play while DB was on offense. I don't know which is crazier, that the band parents were complaining or that Cook had to be ask not to play.

12 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You might find this hard to believe but I read it on the DB band Facebook page after the second game this season. Some of the band parents were complaining because the band stopped playing while DB had the ball. Lafe Cook explained that the DB coach had ask them not to play while DB was on offense. I don't know which is crazier, that the band parents were complaining or that Cook had to be ask not to play.

Wow, how does one even respond to this?     I guess DB could start punting on first down to appease the band parents.

13 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

A lot of what you say is correct, some of it is pure BS driven by your hate for DB because your school (most likely South) always got curb stomped. No DB never chose to play the "weaker schools" as blazer has explained to you. DB has NEVER recruited players from other schools. The TSSAA has looked into it more than once after receiving baseless complaints. No evidence. There haven't been that many students transfer in that play sports of any kind. As a matter of fact, I bet if you bothered to check you'd find more students that play sports have transferred out of DB to the weaker county schools. If not more you'll find an almost equal number. The players that transfer in or out is by their own choice or their parents. 

You are right.  I do hate DB and it does spawn from my own experience when I was a player.  Never have liked losing, but there was always some kind of extra pain and misery accompanied with losing to DB (yes I went to South).  Science Hill and Betsy curb stomped us a few times too, but I didn't have to sit with them at Church on Sunday!  Always felt like DB bragging back then was like an SEC team bragging about beating a SOCON team.

I know fundamentally you are correct that they have not "recruited", but I know first hand of many kids that have been "lured" into the school over the years.  But you are correct that the parents are central to the shift - honestly that's how most "recruiting" is done.  Convince the parents little Johnny will be a pro some day if he plays at this program.  Why else would a kid drive extra miles, pay tuition, or parents buy a house to rent out in Kingsport if there wasn't some kind of incentive being promised to them?  Not saying it is always the coaches... other team parents do a lot of the "luring"?  I get it though... no official recruiting ever happens at DB. :thumb:

Clearly this 1-6A conference has 5 teams with a lot of parity.  DB beats SH... SH beats HVA and Bearden... Bearden beats DB and Farragut... and Farragut beats DB and SH.  Hopefully HVA will continue to prove this parity with a win over BHS or FHS or both.   Bottom line is there are no SEC vs. SOCON matches between these 5 teams.  Glad the Hawks are in the conversation - unlike last year.  Now which one has what it takes to beat Marvul? :blink: