Powell @ OR

SweetScience

32 minutes ago, catswild said:

I repeat....I don't see how it's possible for Powell to make the playoffs. I keep hearing and reading that it's possible. Someone please provide the scenario in writing, that puts them in the playoffs. Until then, I just can't believe it. Nothing against Powell...more power to them if it's possible...I just can't see the scenario where that's possible.

Here is what would have to happen .....  OR and Fulton and Campbell Co already  in   .. Campbell Co already has 2 wins and  the tie breaker over Powell ( if Powell wins at OR - they would have 2 region wins)  so that leaves West and  Clinton ..   if West looses to both Fulton and Campbell Co then they would have 2 wins and Powell would win the tiebreaker if Powell beats OR     .now to Clinton  .. they have 1 win in region  .. if they loose both games with Campbell Co and Karns  they are out if POwell  beats OR ..   GOT IT ?????? 

42 minutes ago, catswild said:

I repeat....I don't see how it's possible for Powell to make the playoffs. I keep hearing and reading that it's possible. Someone please provide the scenario in writing, that puts them in the playoffs. Until then, I just can't believe it. Nothing against Powell...more power to them if it's possible...I just can't see the scenario where that's possible.

Basically ... if Clinton beats Campbell Co or Karns  - Powell is out even  if they beat OR

if West beats beats Fulton or Campbell Co then West has 3  wins in region even if Powell beats OR and Powell  would be out.

Campbell Co  already has 2 wins in region and the tiebreaker against Powell even if POwell beats OR 

2 hours ago, catswild said:

see above posts explaining but basically its this ... 1st Powell has to beat OR   .. then Clinton has to loose to both Campbell Co and Karns  and then West has to loose to both Fulton and Campbell  Co   .. 

2 hours ago, Tadvols said:

Here is what would have to happen .....  OR and Fulton and Campbell Co already  in   .. Campbell Co already has 2 wins and  the tie breaker over Powell ( if Powell wins at OR - they would have 2 region wins)  so that leaves West and  Clinton ..   if West looses to both Fulton and Campbell Co then they would have 2 wins and Powell would win the tiebreaker if Powell beats OR     .now to Clinton  .. they have 1 win in region  .. if they loose both games with Campbell Co and Karns  they are out if POwell  beats OR ..   GOT IT ?????? 

The problem with your scenario is that it results in a three way tie for 4th (Karns, Powell, and West) and if you follow the TSSAA tie breaking procedures in the handbook (it's online), Powell can't win the tie breaker. Therefore, Powell CANNOT make the playoffs no matter what!  I think.......LOL

4 hours ago, catswild said:

There is a thread on it. Region 3-5A playoff scenarios. 

1 hour ago, catswild said:

The problem with your scenario is that it results in a three way tie for 4th (Karns, Powell, and West) and if you follow the TSSAA tie breaking procedures in the handbook (it's online), Powell can't win the tie breaker. Therefore, Powell CANNOT make the playoffs no matter what!  I think.......LOL

I stand corrected. So I think HVA's win over DB ended the Panthers chances. See the explanation below. I will try to sum everything up the best that I can. OR and Fulton are already in, so I'll ignore them.

Pretty simple for CC and West. Win one more, and you're probably in the playoffs (assuming Clinton doesn't win out). If Karns loses to Clinton, Karns is out. If Clinton loses out, they are out. If Powell loses to OR, Powell is out. Things could get pretty complicated though, if Powell beats OR...

• Karns and Clinton currently have one region "win" (Powell). If Clinton loses to CC, the Karns/Clinton loser is eliminated. The winner will finish 2-4 (with a "win" over Powell).
  • Campbell County and West currently have 2 region wins (CC - Karns and Powell, West - Clinton and Karns). That West/CC game will be a key game, since West needs to beat either Fulton or CC to get to 3 region wins. If they lose both, West finishes 2-4, which would tie them with both Powell and the Karns/Clinton winner for 4th in the region.
  • West, Powell, and the Karns/Clinton winner would also have the same head-to-head record (1-1), which is the first tie-breaker. This is where things get even more complicated.
  • Overall wins is the next tie-breaker. In this scenario, West has 3 wins. If Powell beats SD, they would have 3 wins. If Clinton beats Karns, they would have 3 wins. However, if Karns beats Clinton, they could win the tie-breaker with 4 overall wins (if they beat Seymour this week).
  • Assuming that West, Powell, and the Karns/Clinton winner each have 3 overall wins, the team who has played the greatest number of opponents who've won 50 percent or more of their games is the next tie-breaker. UPDATED - In this scenario, West would win the tie-breaker, with 5 and up to 7 (Bearden, HVA, OR, Farragut, Fulton, CC*, Halls*), Powell has 4 and can only get to 6 (Fulton, Lenoir City, OR, SD, CC*, Halls*), Clinton has 4 and can only get to 5 (AC, Central, Fulton, OR, CC*), and Karns has 3 and can only get to 5 (Cocke Co, Fulton, OR, CC*, Halls*). Hardin Valley beat DB for their 5th win, so West would clinch, based on this criteria (Powell, Karns, and West all played Halls, who is also trying to get to 5 wins).

Because of that HVA win on Friday night, I don't think Powell can advance.

I haven't any looked at what could happen, if Clinton were to beat CC, and then lose to Karns the following week.

Edited by osunut2

Guys---Oak Ridge is in a different place than Powell is. Powell's only true loss of the year was to Fulton. They've won all of their other games. They had to forfeit 6 games which resulted in a dismal record for them (playing an ineligible player).

I'm sorry---but you can't go by scores in other games to determine outcomes. Oak Ridge and Powell do not match up well. Oak Ridge has too much team speed and doesn't get intimidated. Oak Ridge's sole loss this season is a 20-14 loss to Farragut.

Give Powell a few more years and they will be in the mix proper. But right now---Oak Ridge and Fulton are gearing up for potential championship runs in both the region AND for a 5A state title. Powell is not. Oak Ridge won't be looking ahead to next week. They know how good Powell is. I suspect it will be pretty close in the end because both teams want to win. But Oak Ridge is simply too loaded. Too much team speed. More than anyone Powell has faced all year (including Fulton). Oak Ridge won this game 42-6 last year before going over to Fulton and winning 21-12. The last time that Oak Ridge lost a region game was in 2015 (to Farragut when Farragut was in 5A). The team that hands Oak Ridge a region loss AT Blankenship is going to have to be a pretty special team. 

All time: Powell has beat Oak Ridge twice. Once in 2010 and the other in 2011---on their way to championship game in 5A. Oak Ridge has won every other contest. Fulton last beat Oak Ridge in 1967 on their way to their first undefeated season (minus a tie I think). Oak Ridge has won the other 16 games (or could be 14). Of the two teams---if I were betting on Oak Ridge winning one and losing one--I would put my money on it being Fulton who knocks them off. 

As for Clinton---I was at that game. It was not as close as everyone seems to believe. Yes---Clinton appeared to have a chance---but OR played like a well oiled machine. They did not panic when they made mistakes and lead the entire game. I saw a Clinton team that Clinton fans should be proud of. They are going to be good in a few years too.  If the district teams were to remain the same the next two years---I think Clinton and Powell will be playing for more than just an outside shot at a playoff sport. And it could be Oak Ridge and Fulton fighting for a playoff spot. But I sort of doubt it. Nonetheless though---this area has some good football to look forward to the next few years!       

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JNewman said:

Guys---Oak Ridge is in a different place than Powell is. Powell's only true loss of the year was to Fulton. They've won all of their other games. They had to forfeit 6 games which resulted in a dismal record for them (playing an ineligible player).

I'm sorry---but you can't go by scores in other games to determine outcomes. Oak Ridge and Powell do not match up well. Oak Ridge has too much team speed and doesn't get intimidated. Oak Ridge's sole loss this season is a 20-14 loss to Farragut.

Give Powell a few more years and they will be in the mix proper. But right now---Oak Ridge and Fulton are gearing up for potential championship runs in both the region AND for a 5A state title. Powell is not. Oak Ridge won't be looking ahead to next week. They know how good Powell is. I suspect it will be pretty close in the end because both teams want to win. But Oak Ridge is simply too loaded. Too much team speed. More than anyone Powell has faced all year (including Fulton). Oak Ridge won this game 42-6 last year before going over to Fulton and winning 21-12. The last time that Oak Ridge lost a region game was in 2015 (to Farragut when Farragut was in 5A). The team that hands Oak Ridge a region loss AT Blankenship is going to have to be a pretty special team. 

All time: Powell has beat Oak Ridge twice. Once in 2010 and the other in 2011---on their way to championship game in 5A. Oak Ridge has won every other contest. Fulton last beat Oak Ridge in 1967 on their way to their first undefeated season (minus a tie I think). Oak Ridge has won the other 16 games (or could be 14). Of the two teams---if I were betting on Oak Ridge winning one and losing one--I would put my money on it being Fulton who knocks them off. 

As for Clinton---I was at that game. It was not as close as everyone seems to believe. Yes---Clinton appeared to have a chance---but OR played like a well oiled machine. They did not panic when they made mistakes and lead the entire game. I saw a Clinton team that Clinton fans should be proud of. They are going to be good in a few years too.  If the district teams were to remain the same the next two years---I think Clinton and Powell will be playing for more than just an outside shot at a playoff sport. And it could be Oak Ridge and Fulton fighting for a playoff spot. But I sort of doubt it. Nonetheless though---this area has some good football to look forward to the next few years!       

Great post