Powell @ OR

SweetScience

24 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Powell is a Diamond Clear Media school.  Does anybody know if Oak Ridge is going to allow Diamond Clear to broadcast from Blankenship?  I have out of town friends asking me if they will be able to stream the game on DCM.  I told them I would try to find out.  

If OR allows it, it will be the first time

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, SweetScience said:

Thanks LOD! We can always count on you to be pulling for the Cats, if they aren't playing The Dale! We appreciate your support!

If you had been sitting with me and Bounder when y'all last visited, you would know I was sitting with the Oak Ridge folks.  While a R'dale fan, I am also honest enough to tell it like it is, and that night we had NO chance.  Was NOT the current coach in charge that night.

23 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

If you had been sitting with me and Bounder when y'all last visited, you would know I was sitting with the Oak Ridge folks.  While a R'dale fan, I am also honest enough to tell it like it is, and that night we had NO chance.  Was NOT the current coach in charge that night.

2010? Yes, that was a determined Wildcat team that night. I was at that game myself. 

Edited by SweetScience

On 10/16/2018 at 1:09 AM, JNewman said:

Guys---Oak Ridge is in a different place than Powell is. Powell's only true loss of the year was to Fulton. They've won all of their other games. They had to forfeit 6 games which resulted in a dismal record for them (playing an ineligible player).

I'm sorry---but you can't go by scores in other games to determine outcomes. Oak Ridge and Powell do not match up well. Oak Ridge has too much team speed and doesn't get intimidated. Oak Ridge's sole loss this season is a 20-14 loss to Farragut.

Give Powell a few more years and they will be in the mix proper. But right now---Oak Ridge and Fulton are gearing up for potential championship runs in both the region AND for a 5A state title. Powell is not. Oak Ridge won't be looking ahead to next week. They know how good Powell is. I suspect it will be pretty close in the end because both teams want to win. But Oak Ridge is simply too loaded. Too much team speed. More than anyone Powell has faced all year (including Fulton). Oak Ridge won this game 42-6 last year before going over to Fulton and winning 21-12. The last time that Oak Ridge lost a region game was in 2015 (to Farragut when Farragut was in 5A). The team that hands Oak Ridge a region loss AT Blankenship is going to have to be a pretty special team. 

All time: Powell has beat Oak Ridge twice. Once in 2010 and the other in 2011---on their way to championship game in 5A. Oak Ridge has won every other contest. Fulton last beat Oak Ridge in 1967 on their way to their first undefeated season (minus a tie I think). Oak Ridge has won the other 16 games (or could be 14). Of the two teams---if I were betting on Oak Ridge winning one and losing one--I would put my money on it being Fulton who knocks them off. 

As for Clinton---I was at that game. It was not as close as everyone seems to believe. Yes---Clinton appeared to have a chance---but OR played like a well oiled machine. They did not panic when they made mistakes and lead the entire game. I saw a Clinton team that Clinton fans should be proud of. They are going to be good in a few years too.  If the district teams were to remain the same the next two years---I think Clinton and Powell will be playing for more than just an outside shot at a playoff sport. And it could be Oak Ridge and Fulton fighting for a playoff spot. But I sort of doubt it. Nonetheless though---this area has some good football to look forward to the next few years!       

Love the post, but are you 100% sure we have better overall team speed than Fulton? Haha

If I was Gaddis I would use this game as prep for Fulton and playoffs.I know you never want to lose a game but us getting ready for a legit playoff run is more important.Oak Ridge could be in Cookeville if they fix a few things.I wouldn't play Herbert both ways too much but I would let him work on the passing game.For us to have a real shot we have to get a passing game going and help open things up for run game.We have to start taking more deep shots and getting 12 the ball.He might be our best player but is not getting the ball enough.We also gotta work on stopping run and finding new ways to pressure QB.Our DL is avg so we gotta do something else to get to the QB.Our pass D has been great and that is without a good pass rush.So use this game as practice and we still could win.Or we could not work on things that need fixed and still lose.RWR

1 hour ago, STILLNUM1 said:

If I was Gaddis I would use this game as prep for Fulton and playoffs.I know you never want to lose a game but us getting ready for a legit playoff run is more important.Oak Ridge could be in Cookeville if they fix a few things.I wouldn't play Herbert both ways too much but I would let him work on the passing game.For us to have a real shot we have to get a passing game going and help open things up for run game.We have to start taking more deep shots and getting 12 the ball.He might be our best player but is not getting the ball enough.We also gotta work on stopping run and finding new ways to pressure QB.Our DL is avg so we gotta do something else to get to the QB.Our pass D has been great and that is without a good pass rush.So use this game as practice and we still could win.Or we could not work on things that need fixed and still lose.RWR

Let’s face it, passing isn’t our strong suit but I agree that 12 needs the ball more. Our QB isn’t going to suddenly change and become a prolific passer at this point of his career. I’m sure he’s been working to improve that all spring, all summer, and all season. I also agree that I’d love to see more pressure on the QB but it’s hard to argue with the success of our defense. They’ve been very good in 7 of 8 games. Let’s do what we do with who we do it with...and just do it better. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, catswild said:

Let’s face it, passing isn’t our strong suit but I agree that 12 needs the ball more. Our QB isn’t going to suddenly change and become a prolific passer at this point of his career. I’m sure he’s been working to improve that all spring, all summer, and all season. I also agree that I’d love to see more pressure on the QB but it’s hard to argue with the success of our defense. They’ve been very good in 7 of 8 games. Let’s do what we do with who we do it with...and just do it better. 

What I fear is we win enough ever year to keep doing what we are doing and then it don't work vs better teams.Minus last yr when we got killed early in yr and changed some little things and improved so much.Im not saying we need to change our offense to heavy pass team but I already know  what we are doing now will not work vs Fulton and good teams.We can throw more deep balls.The few times we have this yr its been open and we either made a big play or dropped a wide open pass.But whatever the coaches think we need work on is what we need to do.Im just saying I would worry way more about getting better tomorrow than I would doing whatever it takes to win the game.

10 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

What I fear is we win enough ever year to keep doing what we are doing and then it don't work vs better teams.Minus last yr when we got killed early in yr and changed some little things and improved so much.Im not saying we need to change our offense to heavy pass team but I already know  what we are doing now will not work vs Fulton and good teams.We can throw more deep balls.The few times we have this yr its been open and we either made a big play or dropped a wide open pass.But whatever the coaches think we need work on is what we need to do.Im just saying I would worry way more about getting better tomorrow than I would doing whatever it takes to win the game.

I don't disagree with you but Fulton had the same team last year and we beat them with a lesser team than we have this year...and we beat them at Fulton! I remember #4 catching a long pass but we beat them mostly on the ground and with good D. I bet that will work again..........BUT...first things first....let's beat Powell tonight and then worry about Fulton!

• Like 1