Possible COIN FLIP for region Title is Region 6!

FridayMainEvent

5 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

London, Livingston Ava, and Lenoir City had a very confusing situation in the late 90’s.  I think.   I do not think this is as confusing as you seem to make it.  

IT certainly isn't confusing for Gallatin fans.  Your at one of two spots depending on who wins the tiebreaker for first.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

It’s insanity! To determine Region seedings, use only Region games!! Duh!! we have the most antiquated system with oblivious leadership I do believe! Get into the 21st Century TSSAA! Meanwhile, we’re all wondering what the rule truly states...unclear and confusing.

Yes sir! I do stats for Shelbyville. Last play, Trice gets absolutely cold cocked after the play! Complete cheap shot! The Page kid hunted him down and should have been immediately ejected!! Embarrassing. Shelbyville should have had a 34-yard FG attempt with no time on the clock. Be happy to email you the video.

2 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Reads that way to me.  Head to head always goes before tie breakers.  Hey I hope I am wrong 2nd at home is better than 3rd away.  

TSSAA officially says you were wrong...sadly. The scenarios are out now. Question marks for 6-5A! Comes down to 7 games this week of Beech and Hillsboro’s non region opponents! How silly is that??!! Could actually end up being a coin flip! Which they should go ahead and do immediately!! Because if Hillsboro wins the flip, everything will basically be set regardless, barring massive unforeseen upsets. In other words, we could already know in advance the coin flip winner if it comes down to a dead tie.

36 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Yes sir! I do stats for Shelbyville. Last play, Trice gets absolutely cold cocked after the play! Complete cheap shot! The Page kid hunted him down and should have been immediately ejected!! Embarrassing. Shelbyville should have had a 34-yard FG attempt with no time on the clock. Be happy to email you the video.

Your the guy I was complementing about your overall knowledge of the teams..lol.  How ironic...  Yeah, shoot me the email.   It's at my website in my signature.  Look forward to chatting again soon.

39 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Yall were doomed if it came down to getting a call.  That crew was brutal.  The two delay of game penalties took the cake.  6 seconds on the play clock when the second one came out.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

TSSAA officially says you were wrong...sadly. The scenarios are out now. Question marks for 6-5A! Comes down to 7 games this week of Beech and Hillsboro’s non region opponents! How silly is that??!! Could actually end up being a coin flip! Which they should go ahead and do immediately!! Because if Hillsboro wins the flip, everything will basically be set regardless, barring massive unforeseen upsets. In other words, we could already know in advance the coin flip winner if it comes down to a dead tie.

Things might have changed, I admit I am not up on all the new rules but that was always the case in the 80’s through early 2000’s.  I have seen it done that way and been on the losing end when Riverdale and Mt Juliet tied with Gallatin in the 90’s.  

Edited by GWAVE1

5 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Here is the TSSAA rule book on Tie Breakers

A. In Class 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A, all teams are required to play all other teams within their region. The teams
with the best region records shall be declared the region winner, runner-up, third and fourth place and shall
advance to the first round of the football play-off series.
B. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams
that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

C. In the event of a tie for the region winner, runner-up, third-place, or fourth-place team, if either team(s) has
defeated the other(s) in regular-season play, the team(s) shall be rated above the other(s) in the standings. (After
the region winner has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again starting at the top to
work out the runner-up position. The procedure shall be repeated to determine the third- and fourth-place teams.)
D. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region,
shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):
1. The team with the greatest number of victories.    (BEECH/ HILLSBORO TIED)
2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.  (STILL TIED AT 5 EACH)
3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.  (STILL TIED AT 2 EACH)
4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.  (Beech-41 Hillsboro-40)
5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.
6. Coin Flip

This will play itself out until the tie is broken.   Even though Gallatin drops out of the tie breaker with the first criteria, it states the tie-breaker continues on until 1 team beats the other two.  IT DOES NOT REVERT BACK TO HEAD TO HEAD in a 3 way once one team drops out!  (At least that is how I read it)   Have we ever had a coin flip for a region title?

I was thinking about this a couple days ago wondering if you would have to go through each tie breaking procedure regardless.  But after giving it some thought, I would say not. Otherwise the tie breaking procedures wouldn't be numbered. Once a tie breaker knocks someone from the tie then back to C. Then all over again.

• Upvote 1