3A PICKEM CONTEST

CHARGERFAN

1 hour ago, EastNasty said:

What's wrong with co-oping I must ask? Alot of schools in middle tn have adopted this even us.  Especially when you have a county like ours with 40-45 high schools public,private and charter.

I'll chime in here. The answer to your question is NOTHING. There's nothing wrong with co-oping itself. As a matter of fact it's great because it gives student athletes a platform to compete that they otherwise wouldn't have had  without changing schools. 

What's wrong is that TSSAA doesn't factor the co-op schools enrollment AT ALL when determining what classification. You got 3a schools co-oping with 4a schools combining for 5a or 6a enrollment. Yet they get to compete in 3a against schools with less than 600 students.  

20 minutes ago, Swarm said:

I'll chime in here. The answer to your question is NOTHING. There's nothing wrong with co-oping itself. As a matter of fact it's great because it gives student athletes a platform to compete that they otherwise wouldn't have had  without changing schools. 

What's wrong is that TSSAA doesn't factor the co-op schools enrollment AT ALL when determining what classification. You got 3a schools co-oping with 4a schools combining for 5a or 6a enrollment. Yet they get to compete in 3a against schools with less than 600 students.  

So all schools who Co-op should play up a class? Wouldnt that be like penalizing the schools who coop? How could you factor in the enrollment when when some schools who coop kids dont take advantage and only 1 or 2 kids come out? Just curious to your thinking. Also reading the the boards I thought the competition is better in 3a then 4a and 5a?

Edited by EastNasty

1 hour ago, EastNasty said:

What's wrong with co-oping I must ask? Alot of schools in middle tn have adopted this even us.  Especially when you have a county like ours with 40-45 high schools public,private and charter.

The only thing wrong in my opinion is the other schools enrollment should count. I don’t care if you only get 1 player or 20. I agree if the other school doesn’t offer football the kids should get to play somewhere. It’s absurd that you can get as many kids from another school but their enrollment doesn’t affect your classification. 

4 minutes ago, EastNasty said:

So all schools who Co-op should play up a class? Wouldnt that be like penalizing the schools who coop? How could you factor in the enrollment when when some schools who coop kids dont take advantage and only 1 or 2 kids come out? Just curious to your thinking. Also reading the the boards I thought the competition is better in 3a then 4a and 5a?

They should play in whatever the total enrollment puts them in. I don’t care if you only have 1 but the possibility is there to get half your starters from the other school. 

34 minutes ago, Jmm475 said:

They should play in whatever the total enrollment puts them in. I don’t care if you only have 1 but the possibility is there to get half your starters from the other school. 

I understand what your saying that possibility of getting half starters are slim. In metro case most of these co-op agreements are from  Brainiac schools. I guess the thinking is different coming from a huge county like ours and a county with with 1 high school. I've  also seen people who have commented saying they want county schools in there own league because of city schools. Whatever way it goes nobody will be happy.

15 minutes ago, ChargerFan7465 said:

PC is doing the same thing they did last year, lookin way ahead to the semifinals and the championship, they found out what happens when you come out and think your goin to steam roll everybody, and just assume a team is going to lay down when you get a lead on them.......:lol::lol:

You got to read mane...Nobody from yo side or our side has said anything about playing yall this year. We both got to make it there first. Man I can see why the memphis folks say what they say about yall smh. And I love playing against west tn teams. A little trash talk here and little talk there and after the game good game. Yall got some ballers then you say good luck the rest of the way...Yall get on here talking about kids kneeling "they didnt" Our announcer which has won  Multiple Tn hs football announcer awards. People love our fish sandwiches. We have never had a problem with anybody on coach t because we keep it real. Even when we get our butts kicked  We will be the 1st to it admit we gotta get better and the other team did a great job. I'm done talking to yall unless the future brings us together.

Edited by FBfan26

47 minutes ago, EastNasty said:

So all schools who Co-op should play up a class? Wouldnt that be like penalizing the schools who coop? 

Not necessarily but they should play where the combined enrollment of both schools puts them. No it wouldn't be a penalty. It would be the same as the rules every other school has to follow.

How could you factor in the enrollment when when some schools who coop kids dont take advantage and only 1 or 2 kids come out?

It doesn't matter. You could make the same argument for every school that struggles with participation. Even the ones that dont co-op. See Whites Creek for example. Should they be able to play 1a because they only have 30 kids that come out to play football? Not in my opinion because they could very well have 90 kids that come out next year. No reason to articulate participation in my opinion. That's on the school itself to encourage kids to participate. Not for TSSAA to split hairs over or govern. The way I see it everyone should just play where their enrollment puts them. I do think there are too many classes though. Which is a totally different discussion.

Just curious to your thinking. Also reading the the boards I thought the competition is better in 3a then 4a and 5a?

I'd say it's pretty equal this year but not always. I think PC, EN, Covington, and of course Alcoa could compete with anyone in 4a or 5a. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Swarm said:

So all schools who Co-op should play up a class? Wouldnt that be like penalizing the schools who coop? 

Not necessarily but they should play where the combined enrollment of both schools puts them. No it wouldn't be a penalty. It would be the same as the rules every other school has to follow.

How could you factor in the enrollment when when some schools who coop kids dont take advantage and only 1 or 2 kids come out?

It doesn't matter. You could make the same argument for every school that struggles with participation. Even the ones that dont co-op. See Whites Creek for example. Should they be able to play 1a because they only have 30 kids that come out to play football? Not in my opinion because they could very well have 90 kids that come out next year. No reason to articulate participation in my opinion. That's on the school itself to encourage kids to participate. Not for TSSAA to split hairs over or govern. The way I see it everyone should just play where their enrollment puts them. I do think there are too many classes though. Which is a totally different discussion.

Just curious to your thinking. Also reading the the boards I thought the competition is better in 3a then 4a and 5a?

I'd say it's pretty equal this year but not always. I think PC, EN, Covington, and of course Alcoa could compete with anyone in 4a or 5a. 

Whites creek play in 1a and winning then you have a problem with the 1a saying they should be playing in 3a Argument.  They have 30 kids and we have about 48-50 including a few freshmen

10 minutes ago, Swarm said:

I can dig it but agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Whites creek play in 1a and winning then you have a problem with the 1a saying they should be playing in 3a Argument.  They have 30 kids and we have about 48-50 including a few freshmen

Correct that would open another can of worms. I wish T$$aa would go back to 5 classes. I also think splitting the privates was dumb but I guess county schools will forever complain.

6 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Exactly. Which is why I say play where your enrollment puts you. Too complicated to classify based off of roster numbers. Classify from enrollment. TOTAL enrollment. And let the school itself worry about how many kids play or don't.