QB plays in OD Bowl his junior year - No Penalty?

MDJ

6 minutes ago, TurnedTiger said:

Not trying to insult your intelligence. The underclassmen don't even scrimmage the same day or even the same field as the All American Bowl. It's all a money grabbing marketing tool. The parents pay for the younger kids to go to the camp and at the end they get to watch the Seniors. Its to make the kids (and parents) hungry so they'll keep paying for camps and hopefully get to the All American Bowl when they are seniors.

He did more than watch. He played in an actual game. Today is the first I heard about this, but after some research it’s not hard to find this information. 

1 minute ago, TurnedTiger said:

Not trying to insult your intelligence. The underclassmen don't even scrimmage the same day or even the same field as the All American Bowl. It's all a money grabbing marketing tool. The parents pay for the younger kids to go to the camp and at the end they get to watch the Seniors. Its to make the kids (and parents) hungry so they'll keep paying for camps and hopefully get to the All American Bowl when they are seniors.

You said "not selected from his team". Defend that. 

I'm not taking a stance against this kid, the game, the process of being selected, or any other part of it...and certainly not trying to imply that I think Whitwell should face any penalty or action by TSSAA. I just think that it's grossly unfair to APPLY their rules in one situation, and "bend" them in another.

Memphis East was nationally ranked last season, and was invited to play in a HUGE tournament that would have probably garnered scholarship monies for the kids, recognition for the school, the coach, and even the state...TSSAA nixed the tournament, costing those kids the once in a lifetime opportunity.

42 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

What kind of mess is this? I just called that Tower man to ask him about this mess.  This Childress man should make that ashworth boy sit out if he had SEC coaches training him before the season.  This is a bunch of mess. He was down there in Louisiana getting that Orgeron man to watch him.  You think im joking but im not. 

Roy, I don’t think that Orgeron man trained him, but the video online shows him playing in some type of game called Offense vs Defense game. The teams were called American vs National. Like I said it’s over, but I would like to know more about this game. A lot of local kids need to try and play in this in the future. 

1 minute ago, TheAmbassador said:

Roy, I don’t think that Orgeron man trained him, but the video online shows him playing in some type of game called Offense vs Defense game. The teams were called American vs National. Like I said it’s over, but I would like to know more about this game. A lot of local kids need to try and play in this in the future. 

Barney, I'm not buying this mess. I guarantee you that if you started a game just like this in Tennessee, that Childress man would want to make some money off of it or he would get real durn mad. If he didn't no how to charge people to get in the stadium, he wouldn't let the boys play in it, and I really ain't joking.

5 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You said "not selected from his team". Defend that. 

I'm not taking a stance against this kid, the game, the process of being selected, or any other part of it...and certainly not trying to imply that I think Whitwell should face any penalty or action by TSSAA. I just think that it's grossly unfair to APPLY their rules in one situation, and "bend" them in another.

Memphis East was nationally ranked last season, and was invited to play in a HUGE tournament that would have probably garnered scholarship monies for the kids, recognition for the school, the coach, and even the state...TSSAA nixed the tournament, costing those kids the once in a lifetime opportunity.

TSSAA states "admission charged or athletes selected from specified teams"  Basically, if the campers could afford a second camp they could go. 

I think it's a shame what happened to the Memphis team. These kids work hard to get to the next level and shouldn't be penalized, especially with exposure available. 

4 minutes ago, dpell15 said:

This is cool!

Yea, that really looks like a “scrimmage.” I saw that online today as well. That’s ridiculous. If someone tried saying he just watched the seniors and “scrimmaged” that wouldn’t be the truth. Regardless if he can do that then other kids in the area need to take advantage. 

2 minutes ago, TurnedTiger said:

TSSAA states "admission charged or athletes selected from specified teams"  Basically, if the campers could afford a second camp they could go. 

I think it's a shame what happened to the Memphis team. These kids work hard to get to the next level and shouldn't be penalized, especially with exposure available. 

Admission was charged according to that website. It says $15 get you on all the games if you purchase tickets in advance. Like I said earlier today, obviously Whitwell caught a break. 

44 minutes ago, TurnedTiger said:

He did not have any SEC coaches coaching him. He never played in a game where admission was charged. He went to camps that his parents paid for including the o-d camp held in Nashville every year full of other TN athletes and the ALL American Bowl is seniors only and the underclassmen pay for their camp but are invited to watch the actual all American bowl game. It is all marketing. Any athlete in this valley could go to these same camps. In fact, they do go to camps and play scrimmages.

I garuntee you that man at Ronnies red eye just told me abs that Tower man that Orgeron man was there training him.  He is a coach in the SEC. Im not falling for your mess. You think im joking but im not. 

3 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Admission was charged according to that website. It says $15 get you on all the games if you purchase tickets in advance. Like I said earlier today, obviously Whitwell caught a break. 

A good lawyer could make a case for either viewpoint. If TSSAA is going to draw a line in the sand, they need to quit hopping back and forth over it.

16 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I'm not from your area  but my son goes to these camps as well. The $15 ticket is only for the All American Bowl, you don't need anything but a smile to watch the underclassmen. I do know that Offense -Defense is actively looking for another location around the Chattanooga area. Seems they aren't too happy with the venue in Nashville. Do you have any ideas for a location? I agree that other kids need to go to these camps.