Region 1A

Htowndawgs

10 hours ago, BULLRUSH said:

I watched UH play, as long as Hampton keeps their composure and guards the perimeter they will be fine. I have not seen a more  arrogant and taunting team as I have in this bunch.

Oh great! Sounds like the coach needs to gain a lil control of the pompous bunch! I see the attitude on about every team these days. The clapping hands in an opponents face after a simple layup, steal or whatever irritates me to no end. Thank Dukie for introducing this. I swear if I coached and a kid did that, he wouldn't play the rest of the season. They should be T'd up every single time. I promised mine I would drag them off the floor if they dared ever be so overbearing. 

13 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

Oh great! Sounds like the coach needs to gain a lil control of the pompous bunch! I see the attitude on about every team these days. The clapping hands in an opponents face after a simple layup, steal or whatever irritates me to no end. Thank Dukie for introducing this. I swear if I coached and a kid did that, he wouldn't play the rest of the season. They should be T'd up every single time. I promised mine I would drag them off the floor if they dared ever be so overbearing. 

I watched them against Unaka and I do believe that was one of the biggest difference in the game. They had to play hard to win and they did most of it by taunting and trying  the intimidation method lol.

14 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

I agree.When i watched UH play GB last year you could tell the coach liked it when his boys did those things it was very obvious,got in our boys heads bad.

Edited by orngnblk

20 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

I think you would be surprised about the amount of control that coach has over his players. UH has proven to be a tough place to play at this year as their students do an excellent job of making it a hostel environment. They move very well in transition and there are only a few teams who have been able to keep up with them.

1 hour ago, PhilJones said:

I think you would be surprised about the amount of control that coach has over his players. UH has proven to be a tough place to play at this year as their students do an excellent job of making it a hostel environment. They move very well in transition and there are only a few teams who have been able to keep up with them.

Not from what I seen, but your right I did see a very talented bunch and do run the floor well.  Just a lot of extra stuff after a good play that in my mind should have been technical fouls and shouting f-bombs in front of the coach when getting a foul called and he turns a deaf ear.

4 hours ago, PhilJones said:

I know the coach and have watched him work players for years but he's always had them disciplined. Been to many a game at UH and never felt it to be a hostile environment....May wanna put a leash on em tho, cause UH still has to come to Hampton and the whole dang town is hostel here :roflolk:

On 1/7/2019 at 4:54 AM, BULLRUSH said:

I watched UH play, as long as Hampton keeps their composure and guards the perimeter they will be fine. I have not seen a more  arrogant and taunting team as I have in this bunch.

It seems that Hampton couldn’t keep their composure, losing by almost ten points. I think people are sleeping on UH. We have a great mix of young stars and experienced seniors that can guide this team through tough times, not to mention having one of the best coaching staffs in the state. Say what you want, but the results speak for themselves. They have been able to get some clutch wins against some good teams in Crockett and the fourth ranked team in Alabama, showing that they can buckle down and win close games. They have the composure to win games like these, and their record proves that.

Edited by YungBab420

On 1/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, uknoit2 said:

I think you’ve got UH all wrong. The coach has done an excellent job fostering a mentality within the locker room for years now. Now the coach has let the dogs off the leash because he believes this team has what it takes to win the conference and maybe make a run at the state title. The mentality now is to win with whatever it takes, whether that be an explosive dynamic offense, a smothering defense, or fouling every other possession. Winning is fun, and I believe the UH team can taunt and show their attitude as much as they want as long as the wins keep coming. The results of the coach’s work is undeniable, with many big wins this season, including one against Crockett and an important conference battle against Hampton. You know what they always say, just let the kids play!

Oh come on....Ive seen some of the best players in the state play without taunting and running off at the mouth! #30 for UH is good and he doesn't open his mouth. Does his thing and goes on...gotta like that!

It may have appeared I was dissing on the UH coach...Not so...I've watched him for years and he is very very good. ..and I saw him tell a starter tonight that he'd address his attitude after the game. So maybe he's not for all the mouthing crap after all.

As for Hampton losing composure tonight, we were down 9 at half and come back  to take the lead...you do realize Bentley was on the bench with a bleeding leg for a long span and #2 and #24 are both freshmen? And if we hit half of our missed layups, we win going away? Shooting 3 for 13 from three and 54% from FT line didn't help either :roflolk:

Don't know who's sleeping on UH, sure hasn't been any of us up here.  BTW, I honestly didn't see UH doing much trash talking tonight anyways.

Edited by uknoit2

I was at the UH / Hampton game last night and I must say I was not impressed by either team. It was sloppy, lots of isolation / ball hogging and way too many missed open shots. I've seen both play earlier and I guess Hampton is going to be on or off - no middle ground and UH is going to be able to gut victories out when they do not play well. If this is the a true reflection of the teams, then neither are going far this year.

As for all the UH talk...they do talk, but some of those kids have been pushed around for years and maybe they think this is their year...not sure, but I would love to see them hit on all cylinders one night and keep the extra stuff to a minimum.

Hampton just looks young - maybe they pull it all together later in the season, but last night was not great.

Last night was far from great. Hampton didn't look as sharp as they did Saturday but looked a lot better than they did at SN. 1A basketball has been some sorry played ball thus far IMO.

Said at the beginning that this season would be a rollercoaster ride for us...So far, it has been.

We went to state in 14, 15, and 16. At this point, neither team has what it takes to get there. I haven't seen a team yet with one or two studs that can just take over a game.  As for us, it's gonna take MUCH extra work and maturing across the board to have a shot to even do well in district and regional. We have the talent so we'll see.