Henry County @ Haywood

PatriotNation

Good luck the rest of the season. I do feel ya'll have some things to work out against the tougher competition, but should cruise into the playoffs and after that who knows. Final thing: I've been on the sidelines a long time (not a coach) and one thing I noticed in pregame warmups was your QB has a flaw which caused all his throws over 15 yards to flutter. After I saw that, I felt pretty confident he wouldn't be able to beat the man coverage.

9 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Good luck the rest of the season. I do feel ya'll have some things to work out against the tougher competition, but should cruise into the playoffs and after that who knows. Final thing: I've been on the sidelines a long time (not a coach) and one thing I noticed in pregame warmups was your QB has a flaw which caused all his throws over 15 yards to flutter. After I saw that, I felt pretty confident he wouldn't be able to beat the man coverage.

I’d love to hear about this flaw..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mmb said:

I’d love to hear about this flaw..

Like  I said not a coach, but I do know a fluttering ball when I see one. My guess would be a grip issue. His ball just doesn't have a tight spiral. Not being critical btw. Just something I THOUGHT I picked up on.

Edited by reddyrebel6

1 hour ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Like  I said not a coach, but I do know a fluttering ball when I see one. My guess would be a grip issue. His ball just doesn't have a tight spiral. Not being critical btw. Just something I THOUGHT I picked up on.

He actually throws a beautiful ball, but it’s something he will have to get more consistent with. He threw an ugly flutter in our jamboree that ended up being picked off, and then bounced back and threw a 30-yard dime for a touchdown the very next series. 

He’s still coming into his own regarding arm strength. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

He actually throws a beautiful ball, but it’s something he will have to get more consistent with. He threw an ugly flutter in our jamboree that ended up being picked off, and then bounced back and threw a 30-yard dime for a touchdown the very next series. 

He’s still coming into his own regarding arm strength. 

U are right. He may have a few balls that dont look the best but I have seen him throw some dimes on the money. The good part he is a FRESHMAN! lol I will take it! Kid has talent no doubt. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PatriotNation said:

U are right. He may have a few balls that dont look the best but I have seen him throw some dimes on the money. The good part he is a FRESHMAN! lol I will take it! Kid has talent no doubt. 

His hands are also still growing. It might be a grip issue as rebel alluded to, but I agree he’s still very talented. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Oh ok, thought maybe you had some experience training quarterbacks or something. He’s always looking to hone his skills. I’m probably way too biased to really comment on this, but if he had any balls flutter... it was most likely due to his fluttering heart. He’ll let one slip sometimes.. but his mechanics are usually pretty sound. I figure a lot of it had to do with his first start, on the road, in a hostile environment, and a bunch of 6’3” 230 pound dudes trying to kill him. He’s definitely got a lot of work to do, much room for improvement, and nowhere near where he wants to be as a player. He’s his own worst critic, and his Daddy is a close second, but I think he’ll be okay as the season goes. No excuses, he has to get that out of his system and play much better to help his team be successful.. and hopefully he will. It won’t be from lack of effort, because the kid works really hard. We’ll see what happens. Go Big Red.

Edited by mmb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mmb said:

Oh ok, thought maybe you had some experience training quarterbacks or something. He’s always looking to hone his skills. I’m probably way too biased to really comment on this, but if he had any balls flutter... it was most likely due to his fluttering heart. He’ll let one slip sometimes.. but his mechanics are usually pretty sound. I figure a lot if it had to do with his first start, on the road, in a hostile environment, and a bunch of 6’3” 230 pound dudes trying to kill him. He’s definitely got a lot of work to do, much room for improvement, and nowhere near where he wants to be as a player. He’s his own worst critic, and his Daddy is a close second, but I think he’ll be okay as the season goes. No excuses, he has to get that out of his system and play much better to help his team be successful.. and hopefully he will. It won’t be from lack of effort, because the kid works really hard. We’ll see what happens. Go Big Red.

Yes u are right a lot had to do with being on the road, hostile environment, first start, freshman, playing for HC. The last half of the year should be looking pretty good. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mmb said:

Oh ok, thought maybe you had some experience training quarterbacks or something. He’s always looking to hone his skills. I’m probably way too biased to really comment on this, but if he had any balls flutter... it was most likely due to his fluttering heart. He’ll let one slip sometimes.. but his mechanics are usually pretty sound. I figure a lot if it had to do with his first start, on the road, in a hostile environment, and a bunch of 6’3” 230 pound dudes trying to kill him. He’s definitely got a lot of work to do, much room for improvement, and nowhere near where he wants to be as a player. He’s his own worst critic, and his Daddy is a close second, but I think he’ll be okay as the season goes. No excuses, he has to get that out of his system and play much better to help his team be successful.. and hopefully he will. It won’t be from lack of effort, because the kid works really hard. We’ll see what happens. Go Big Red.

You have a right to be proud. Awesome talent. Just don't want to see too much put on him too soon.  Haywood does indeed have some beasts. I was very impressed by his toughness and can see him as a D1 qb. My critique was offered because I have watched several great hs qbs struggle with that type ball. Knowing many college coaches, it is one of the things they will hone in on if they have two equals come scholie time. Good luck in the future. And as someone who was in your position any years ago, don't be overly hard on him this early. Mix in plenty of praise.

3 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

You have a right to be proud. Awesome talent. Just don't want to see too much put on him too soon.  Haywood does indeed have some beasts. I was very impressed by his toughness and can see him as a D1 qb. My critique was offered because I have watched several great hs qbs struggle with that type ball. Knowing many college coaches, it is one of the things they will hone in on if they have two equals come scholie time. Good luck in the future. And as someone who was in your position any years ago, don't be overly hard on him this early. Mix in plenty of praise.

Thank you for that. I try to praise him but also keep him humble, and tell him to enjoy the ride instead of worrying about the destination all the time. He’s a very smart, driven, and down to earth kid.. and was watching film with his ice packs Friday night after the game when I walked into his room. I’m more proud of his work ethic and the type of man he’s becoming than I’ll ever be of him as a football player. Hopefully we’ll see some improvement this week in Hendersonville. The road definitely doesn’t get any easier. Good luck to you all as well. GBR

• Like 1